BBB has arrived-where to start!?

So myself and my partner are doing a double shadowtrooper build and our kits arrived the other day so we are going to try and put these together simultaneously! We might have underestimated how much work this is going to be!

Any advice on which part to start on? We started on the calf but looks like there might be better parts to start with..is there a general rule on what order to build this?

Any tips or hints would be welcome!

:)

You can really start anywhere as long as you have done your share of reading build threads. It's always best to understand what you are doing before taking the trimming plunge. Personally I like to start by trimming the larger parts such as the chest and back as they really require no assembly aside from strapping them at the shoulder. Once that happens you can put them on and feel like something is really happening. That will inspire you with the courage you need to begin work on the smaller parts that require fitting and gluing. We have a saying here: "measure twice, cut once, then throw-up."

• Like 3

Toddo has given you great advice. You might also consider doing the helmet first, since it may be a bit easier to envision. Open up a WIP thread and feel free to post up questions as they come up. We can help guide you along in the process. As he mentions, read up on what others have done and you'll form your own techniques. It's sort of like building a BIG airplane or car model, only you wear it!

That's guys this is great-on the local boards and have read through lots of threads but always good to get advice-think we will start with chest pieces. Need to get over the fear and just get stuck in! Luckily found someone to make the helmets for us so that's taken care of :) thanks again folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Let us know if you need any help or advice on this end! :thumbsup:

Hi guys looking for a bit of help. We've come some way on this build but are struggling a little as I'm small (5ft 7) and some of the parts are so big that I'm worried if I trim too much it will cause problems with clearance.

Once part specifically is calf. My question is when I do the front-join there is a huge overlap at the back, is that permitted or does it have to be center join with velcro?

Hopefully that makes sense!

The other part that's causing problems is the back of the chest-plate overlaps the kidney-plate significantly-again because i'm tiny! If I trim the kidney-plate too much it looses it's shape...so is it okay if there's a tiny overlap or would any overlap at all mean no clearance?

Thanks for the help!

Alannah

Hi guys looking for a bit of help. We've come some way on this build but are struggling a little as I'm small (5ft 7) and some of the parts are so big that I'm worried if I trim too much it will cause problems with clearance.

Once part specifically is calf. My question is when I do the front-join there is a huge overlap at the back, is that permitted or does it have to be center join with velcro?

Hopefully that makes sense!

The other part that's causing problems is the back of the chest-plate overlaps the kidney-plate significantly-again because i'm tiny! If I trim the kidney-plate too much it looses it's shape...so is it okay if there's a tiny overlap or would any overlap at all mean no clearance?

Thanks for the help!

Alannah

The calves shouldn't overlap. You will just need to trim carefully the excess off. If you are going to use velcro to close the calves then the coverstrip will go on one side with and that coverstrip will slightly overlap the other side. I hope that makes sense in words. If not I can dig up a picture for you.

As far as the back/kidney overlap I can't help you there. I am about 7 inches taller and did not have that issue. Hopefully someone who had that problem can chime in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The calves shouldn't overlap. You will just need to trim carefully the excess off. If you are going to use velcro to close the calves then the coverstrip will go on one side with and that coverstrip will slightly overlap the other side. I hope that makes sense in words. If not I can dig up a picture for you.

As far as the back/kidney overlap I can't help you there. I am about 7 inches taller and did not have that issue. Hopefully someone who had that problem can chime in.

Thanks Allan! The front join is with a cover strip and that part is fine. It's actually the back join that we are struggling with>we've no strip for the back which is right yeh? So it's the back join that overlaps and we arent sure if that is supposed to be a centre join which we will velcro or else if we can overlap them. I've had a look at your build and it's brilliant! It's very hard to see the back of the thigh and calf joins though so if you had any photos of those I'd be delighted as we are at a bit of an impasse!

:)

Its kind of hard to say in words. The back of the calves get a cover strip. Its glued on one side, the outside so it opens in. So the left calf its on the left side and right is on the right. Its glued on that one side and then it "over hangs" the other side. You then need an attachment mechanism. People use velcro, bra hooks, or magnets. I use velcro as it's the easiest. I have attached pics of my shadow, but sometimes they come out very dark so I have some regular white ones too. Hope this helps. Let me know if you still have questions.

9d3da9a8af0faf1924da364dc9f417ab.jpg

45a3689a81d21ef9bb002f74df4ea96c.jpg

cea700687b51b090389354c46487ddd4.jpg

3bc9e660d766899656671ff8f01a07ce.jpg

626fb93ac541408336450706abd6d40b.jpg

d7f38af265d0588255d93625fc63b16e.jpg

7c63e118d86cc311cb2700e6c7374854.jpg

67cd43c6ef211c7314362de7ffe7f922.jpg

Ahh so this makes so much sense now! Basically with the kits we got, there is only one strip to cover the front and none for the back. But if there is supposed to be a strip on the back then everything now makes complete sense..! Will have to source some extra black strips for the back of the calfs and thighs now :)

Thanks so much Allan you cleared up so much with those photos!

Alannah

• Like 1