Anovos Shadow trooper - Shim material?

So I've got my kit all cut out, and I'm in the process of fine tuning and sizing. As I've said before, I'm looking to make it as accurate as I possibly can and go for the highest level, but honestly, I mostly just want a cool looking costume so I'm willing to sacrifice if it's not possible. My main concern now is that I'm 6'3" and 240lbs, so the pieces fit a bit snug so far. Some of them I might be able to get away with if I trim the return edge, but it looks like I might have to shim some of the pieces regardless.

So my question is what material should I use to make shims out of, and how close can I trim the return edge? I see people have suggested to use plastic signs and spray paint, but can that get the same glossy black? I'd rather have black plastic if possible so I don't have to worry about touching up paint. And are there places where the return edge is REQUIRED? I like the look of it, but I just know its going to rub and be uncomfortable in some places.

Also, I'm new here and dont know what the posting protocol is? I know how to search my question first, but is it ok to make a new post when I have a question, or should I make a dedicated "Build" thread and ask all my questions there? I don't really plan on documenting my build, but I want to follow the expected protocol so people don't hate me ;P

• Like 1
So I've got my kit all cut out, and I'm in the process of fine tuning and sizing. As I've said before, I'm looking to make it as accurate as I possibly can and go for the highest level, but honestly, I mostly just want a cool looking costume so I'm willing to sacrifice if it's not possible. My main concern now is that I'm 6'3" and 240lbs, so the pieces fit a bit snug so far. Some of them I might be able to get away with if I trim the return edge, but it looks like I might have to shim some of the pieces regardless. So my question is what material should I use to make shims out of, and how close can I trim the return edge? I see people have suggested to use plastic signs and spray paint, but can that get the same glossy black? I'd rather have black plastic if possible so I don't have to worry about touching up paint. And are there places where the return edge is REQUIRED? I like the look of it, but I just know its going to rub and be uncomfortable in some places. Also, I'm new here and dont know what the posting protocol is? I know how to search my question first, but is it ok to make a new post when I have a question, or should I make a dedicated "Build" thread and ask all my questions there? I don't really plan on documenting my build, but I want to follow the expected protocol so people don't hate me ;P

No worries, and feel free to post questions when they come up. Ultimately, you want some spare black ABS plastic, sheets preferably. You could reach out to Scootch on this forum and see if he has some available, or maybe even Jeff at Studio Creations. The other alternative, using painted plastic, could work but would be hard to color match. I think the shims would look off if you chose that method.

No worries, and feel free to post questions when they come up. Ultimately, you want some spare black ABS plastic, sheets preferably. You could reach out to Scootch on this forum and see if he has some available, or maybe even Jeff at Studio Creations. The other alternative, using painted plastic, could work but would be hard to color match. I think the shims would look off if you chose that method.

So I'm searching for ABS, but I'm only finding textured anywhere. Does it even come non textured? And is the armor made out of ABS? I was reading around and it seems they had different generations made in ABS or PolyStyrene. Does anyone know what Anovos finally decided on? Is there a way I can tell? And if I were to find a HIPS dealer, as long as it's shiny and black that should work, right? I think I have one fairly locally.

So I'm searching for ABS, but I'm only finding textured anywhere. Does it even come non textured? And is the armor made out of ABS? I was reading around and it seems they had different generations made in ABS or PolyStyrene. Does anyone know what Anovos finally decided on? Is there a way I can tell? And if I were to find a HIPS dealer, as long as it's shiny and black that should work, right? I think I have one fairly locally.

Yep, it's ABS plastic and it does come non-textured. You should be able to find it in "sheet" format. Send a PM to Scootch on this forum. HIPS would work but it's typically not as sturdy as ABS plastic.