Need help choosing a propper helmet.

Hey guys. Extremely new to all this. I currently have an eFX bucket. Unfortunately my dome doesn't fit in it too well, it's a bit too snug for my taste. So now I'm in search for a more suitable trooping helmet. Correct me if I'm wrong. From what I managed to understand in, "Izzi's eFX Shadow Stormtrooper Helmet Review," it sounds like the Scootch helmets are the way to go. Aside from them being really good helmets to begin with, they are also good for guys with larger domes like myself. Any and all advise welcomed.

(hopefully I put this in the right place.) :confused:

I'd wait for Izzi to chime in before you make your mind up - as he owns them all, but I was under the understanding that if the eFX is a little snug then you should head on over to the FX / AM lid as that is the one that would be noticeably larger.

Don't get me wrong I love Scootch's work but if the eFX is snug then you're probably looking at needing more space, and from my understanding Scootch (CAP-W / CAP) is smaller than the eFX.

And if you like let us know where the helmet is tight front to back, side to side, or a specific area. Also maybe, if possible, include your heard diameter as we can then let you know where we sit, diameter wise, and what fit's us.

Myself - 24" around and the eFX is tight front to back but I've got room on the sides - not much mind you, but some.

I have a Scootch bucket waiting for me at home! I'll let you know how it compares to me efx. My AM is quite big on me and the efx fits comfortably. I am crossing my fingers that Scootch's fits well.

Thanks for the info guys.

My eFX fits real snug front to back. For example those "pads" around the eyes end up touching the area around my eyes when i have it on. I also have to tilt the helmet a certain way in order to get it on and off.

From the looks of it my head is roughly 23" around.

Thanks for the info guys.

My eFX fits real snug front to back. For example those "pads" around the eyes end up touching the area around my eyes when i have it on. I also have to tilt the helmet a certain way in order to get it on and off.

From the looks of it my head is roughly 23" around.

The padding in the Efx is just wrong. As most anyone who owns one will tell you, you're better off ripping that crap out, and replacing it with some actually helmet padding :teehee:

But if you are looking for a bigger lid, my RT-mod (though you would have to paint it) is bigger inside than my efx but I still have to twist both on an off. However on a side note, my buddy who is about 350 lbs can put on and wear the Efx, but cant even get the RT on past his forehead. Go figure....

Ah, My favorite topic! :teehee:

First off, rip out all the eFX padding (even the stuff around the eyes) they try properly padding it. That may change things a bit. (Unless you're trying to keep it in a collectible condition, but then you shouldn't be trying it on for trooping! :D )

Now the CAP-W and eFX are shaped a bit differently, and I believe the CAP-Ws are a bit more circular, but in general the eFX is larger than the CAP-W. So if you grab a Cappy then it'll be a gamble on whether or not you'll fit in it.

I've heard RT-MODs are larger and they look nice, however I do not own one.... yet. The other option is an FX/AM bucket, which are the largest ones you can get (That I know of), however accuracy in the small details are lacking. People will still know what you are at a glance though. (If you post something up in the junkyard, there may be some trooper with an FX/AM helmet that he or she wouldd be willing to part with.)

-iz

Iz - My wife has an RT kit and her helmet (with the included padding) fits like a dream! It actually looks smaller but it really fits me well. I asked the guy who makes RT (he lives a few hours away) if he'd ever consider pulling a black helmet ... He said a polite but firm "no".

On Topic - I pulled all the "padding" out of my eFX - It's useless, and abrasive.

Here's a few shots I hope no one minds (just for reference - I don't want to make this a general Helmet Post):

DSCN4984.JPG

DSCN4986.JPG

How it arrives (inside):

DSCN4990.JPG

Thanks for all the great feed back guys. Much appreciated.

I was gonna pull all the padding out of the eFX but after seeing how tight it was I made the choice to just leave it a display piece.

Iz - you mentioned that the FX/AM buckets are lacking accuracy in the small details. Would major modding have to be done to make it 501st acceptable or just minor stuff such as the ear screws, mics, etc.?

Elp - thanks for posting those comparison pics. They look great.

Now in that side profile picture, I don't know if it's the color, the lighting, the angle or a combo of things but the white one looks like it is bigger front to back. Not by much but still a little bigger.

Crash, my bucket in the avatar is a AM/FX. It is approvable and I like mine, but now that I am approved the first upgrade I am making is replacing the helmet. If your noggin is large go with an RT-Mod over the AM, it's more accurate.

I havent built my cap-w yet, but just holding it together it is larger on the inside than the efx. The opening is a lil smaller but the helmet inards seem more roomy.

Is the tk an RT-mod? I didn't realize the RT mods had the 3 pieces.

Yep - TK is an RT. My wife got it last summer.

Elp - thanks for posting those comparison pics. They look great. Now in that side profile picture, I don't know if it's the color, the lighting, the angle or a combo of things but the white one looks like it is bigger front to back. Not by much but still a little bigger.

I think you're right, as the eFX really doesn't give me much room front to back. My eye lashes actually touched the "padding" around the lenses every time I blinked, before I removed it - All

The Rt is a bit longer front to back but the nose has a steeper slope so overall it looks about the same size, but has more room in it. I've tried on an FX, the eFX and my wife's Rt and by far the Rt is my favorite ... Right out of the box it's comfortable, there is no 'bobble head' effect, and it's got great visibility. The only downside is the lenses that come with it can be seen through up close (under 2 feet) if a flash is used.