WTF Magma Build

Hey guys!

I got my magma armor yesterday from Walt's Trooper Factory (a nice surprise after a long day at work). I'd like to start some preliminary trimming and whatnot this weekend, but since this is my first armor build I was wondering if any of you more experienced builders had any tips or ticks, do's or don't's, or general advice for this newbie before I get started. I've done months of research and have all the tools to build it, I'm just a bit nervous to make that first cut.

And of course I'll be updating this thread with pictures as I go.

Hello

You will enjoy this process. It can feal a little daunting at first, but we are all here to help. Just start simple.

I recommend starting with this forum: http://www.whitearmo...ead-this-first/ it will get you going in the right direction. It is from FISD site, but the armor is the same.

I would also visit this forum for this detachment http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/forum/39-armor-tips-tricks-and-tutorials/

If you want to see some of the builds people are currently doing then you can check out this forum: http://www.whitearmo...stunt-and-hero/ There are some great step by step build threads in this forum.

Everyone here is extremely helpful, just ask.

Good luck

Hello

You will enjoy this process. It can feal a little daunting at first, but we are all here to help. Just start simple.

I recommend starting with this forum: http://www.whitearmo...ead-this-first/ it will get you going in the right direction. It is from FISD site, but the armor is the same.

I would also visit this forum for this detachment http://forum.501stsp...-and-tutorials/

If you want to see some of the builds people are currently doing then you can check out this forum: http://www.whitearmo...stunt-and-hero/ There are some great step by step build threads in this forum.

Everyone here is extremely helpful, just ask.

Good luck

Thanks so much, that's all very helpful.

Well, first mistake in the books, but I had a question: I made the mistake of trimming too much off one of my forearm pieces and took off the return edge/lip at the top end near the elbow. Is this going to be a problem for approval, or is it okay to not have the return edges? The CRL doesn't say anything about it but I wanted to check how bad of a mistake I made.

Okay, pictures. As the armor-making newbie, I had a few trimming questions I wanted to check on before I went any further. First off I wanted to make sure I had the shins, thighs, and biceps properly labeled. Do these look right?

rUwM49S.jpg

cvitCur.jpg

Next, I was looking at a couple of pieces, the thighs and the shoulder bells for the time being, and I traced the clear defined lines on the pieces. Should I be following these lines and use them as general guidelines to trim initially?

I30dvTI.jpg

98h2tZP.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Okay, it's been a while. I've been working on getting Rebel Legion approval for my Leia but now I've returned to my magma trooper.

As of right now, I've finished all trimming on everything except the shins (I'm waiting to cut out the flash on the bottom and trimming until I get the boots so they are sized properly) and helmet, and fully assembled both thighs, biceps, and forearms.

My ab plate was a little snug where the sides curved, but I was able to fix it and stretch it out using a hot water bath and now it fits perfectly (huge thanks to the WTF people for helping me with that idea).

I'm going to move on to getting the strapping system going next, but I did take a look at my helmet for a bit. I removed the eyes, did some rough trimming on it and the ear pieces, and took out the teeth (these just need some sanding to give it a smoother look). I did notice though that the brow trim that came with my kit doesn't fully reach easily to the back sides of the traps - it's too short by a half inch or so. If I really stretch it, it can just make it, but is the trim supposed to reach without a lot of stretching? I'm trying to figure whether they simply gave me a trim that's too short or not.

I'm also starting on sourcing the soft parts. I'm probably going to get my boots from ImperialBoots. With the shipping it does come to a lot, but it's with the added convenience of not having to try and find a matching paint and then paint white or black boots. Unless someone can recommend going with white or black boots and painting, that's likely what I'll do. I'm probably going to make my belt, as I have a lot of experience with sewing, and possibly the holster. The neck seal I'll probably just buy, but not sure yet. And then I have to hunt down some CRL-appropriate gloves in a tiny adult size :laugh1:

That's where I am now! I'm actually suprised at the progress I've made, I thought this would take me much longer to get where I am at now. It's not as scary as I believed in the beginning (though I'm still procrastinating on that bucket really badly :icon_eek:)

• Like 1

Lots of really great updates Kara! Just keep at it and you'll be done in no time at all.

Yeah, the brow trim should easily reach from side-to-side. If it's too short, get WTF to send you a longer piece.

MCH-IA-169_R.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I'm at the point where I can start trying things on. I don't have any of the strapping system built yet for just for the sake of testing I used tape to hold everything in place.

How does everything look from the front? Any glaring thing that needs adjustment? The thighs didn't want to stay up without the strapping so for now I'm just holding them in place.

gp37zEX.jpg

The one issue I encountered which I had a feeling I might is the butt plate. I'm worried it might be a bit small as it doesn't cover as much as the CRL photos do. Thoughts? If it is indeed too small I'll get an adult size from WTF and trim down but I wanted opinions before contacting them. They were very helpful when I first got the kit about switching any parts out for full size if I need to.

UnfPhyD.jpg

In other news, I received my boots - ordered from TK Boots and will paint red - and my neck seal. I also finished up my shins tonight and waiting for the E6000 to cure. For the test photos I used a brown underarmor shirt I had lying around but obviously will get a black one for actual use.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Update time.

I got some input from my garrison members, and I've ordered a new standard-size butt plate from WTF. The adult size comes with the kidney plate attached which is different from the kid's size which was 2 separate pieces

As I said before, I received my boots from TK Boots and am waiting on the leather paint. I'm using Angelus leather paint in chili red as was recommended by WTF. Neck seal received from Teresa Nuthall (Geeky Pink's Phantastic Gaskets on Facebook), and holster ordered from Darman's Props. I had ordered my gloves from TrooperBay but they ended up being ridiculously big so they're now in the caring hands of another member and I've got new, size small gloves on the way.

Other than some finishing work, trimming the new kidney/butt piece when it arrives, and the strapping, all that's really left is the helmet. As I've said several times I've been very nervous about starting it but we'll be getting some local build days coming up now that the New England weather is no longer freezing so I've got the backup and help available if I need it. In the meantime I'm going to watch some assembly videos and re-read build guides and finally get this done.

The end is near!

looking good! you could probably wear your armour inside my armour like one of those russian nesting dolls!

i did have an issue recently with my helmet though..

18339305_10159058814090354_2000104094_o_zpsmhnrz0wd.jpg

i used waproo red for my boots as it was an exact match for my armour, but i suspect it isint a colour available where you are

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...