Triple Zero CRL

Darth Emphatic

All, here is a draft looking for feedback. Will have pictures up soon.

Description: Triple Zero

Prefix:

Detachment: No Detachment Affiliation http://databank.501st.com/databank/NoAffiliation_CRL (This should be SPEC OPS)

Context:

* Star Wars: Darth Vader Book II: Shadows and Secrets

* Darth Vader Annual 1

* Star Wars: Vader Down

* Star Wars: Darth Vader Book III: The Shu-Torun War

* Star Wars: Darth Vader Book IV: End of Games

* The Misadventures of Triple-Zero and Beetee

0-0-0 or Triple-Zero or Doctor Aphra is a protocol droid, specialized in etiquette, customs, translation and torture.

Hard armor parts shall be made from one or all of these types of materials: Fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene). Some parts also maybe required to be rubber for mobility and comfort.

Head

For 501st approval:

* The head must be a high quality representation of the reference images made of vac formed plastic, or a fiberglass-like material.

* head bolt on the top and two side ear bolts.

* Shape and proportions must match the comic book resource material.

* Eyes are red with 3 LEDs in each eye at a set design.

Neck

* Neck ring has to be the same as C-3PO.

* Should be a plastic cover that over laps at the back and fits up into the head and all the way into the neck ring.

Torso

For 501st approval:

Front Torso:

* Front torso requires two throat pistons either side of the gear/valve.

* The belly circles are exact to the configuration on C-3PO's torso.

* Can only be made from fiber glass or 3D printed. ABS and PVC will not hold the right shape.

* There are two round torso bolts to join the two torso sides together.

* Shoulder rings need to be attached to the torso and must spin on a bearing type system and the shoulder bell must be on a hinge so it can open up.

Back Torso:

* Consistent back torso plate as all Protocol Droids.

* Should match the visual references as closely as possible.

* Rings between the torso and shoulder bells must be present.

* The shoulder bell is directly attached to the shoulder ring.

Abdomen

For 501st approval:

* A ribbed, rubber material is stretched around the stomach and attached on the right hand side with either a zipper or velcro.

* Various colored wires are attached on the surface of the mat and interwoven through each other to give the appearance of wiring inside the droid body.

Arms

For 501st approval:

* Arms consist of two solid parts: biceps and forearms that are identical to all protocol droids.

* Must be hinged at the elbow.

* Must have visible inner and outer pistons.

* A decorative piston permanently attached to each forearm.

* Must have three small arm details as per all protocol droids

* Must be black and should match the visual references as closely as possible.

Hands

For 501st approval:

* A hand plate covers only the top of the hand.

* Individual armored pieces slip over each finger.

* Three small stationary pistons are positioned on top the back of the hand.

* Four little knobs sit over the finger exits on the plate.

* A black glove must be worn under the armored pieces.

* Wire decorations must adorn the palm of the glove to replicate droid wiring.

Shorts

For 501st approval:

* Must fit inside the legs freely and have a Phillip's head bolt on each hip.

* Rubber shorts can be worn for comfort and maneuverability.

Legs

For 501st approval:

* The legs are identical to all Protocol Droids.

* Each Leg consist of a solid Thigh Piece and a hinged, two-part calf.

* A piston is attached to each outer knee joint.

* The thigh piece and the calf piece are held together by a bungy/elastic cord under the armor.

Feet

For 501st approval:

* The feet are identical to all Protocol Droids.

* Rubber style shoes or vacuum formed ABS shoe covers are acceptable.

Under Suit

For 501st approval:

* Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos/designs..

This is awesome!! Pretty spot on honestly. Haha

The only things I noticed aren't in and are pretty minor~

For Context:

He's also in the Dr Aphra comic series

Also this part:

"0-0-0 or Triple-Zero or Doctor Aphra is a protocol droid, specialized in etiquette, customs, translation and torture. "

should just be-

"0-0-0 or Triple-Zero is a protocol droid, specialized in etiquette, customs, translation and torture."

For the Torso:

He has these four greeblie/detail pieces over the chest area (not sure if they have a name or true purpose other than visual)- 1 on one side, 3 on the other with one larger than others.

The artwork varies and sometimes it shows it there and sometimes not, or flipped to the opposite side (but I think that's just an artist error! :P)

After looking at all the other standard protocol droids when I was building mine, all of them seemed to have them (and he's definitely shown with them often enough to imagine, like all other protocol droids he has them too. Haha)

Picture reference to what Im talking about~

IMG_8540.jpgIMG_8541.jpg

Also in torso section, this part is debatable:

"Shoulder rings need to be attached to the torso and must spin on a bearing type system and the shoulder bell must be on a hinge so it can open up. "

Most of the builders I know use a solid ring that attaches in-between the torso and shoulder bells.

Visually, they both accomplish the same thing. Technically, it's just a matter of comfort and mobility since the solids do not hinder movement, whereas the bearing versions (I'd imagine) probably make the arms more mobile. (Basically like the difference between solid and rubber shorts)

Other than that though, this is pretty rockin!! :3po:

Also in torso section, this part is debatable:

"Shoulder rings need to be attached to the torso and must spin on a bearing type system and the shoulder bell must be on a hinge so it can open up. "

Most of the builders I know use a solid ring that attaches in-between the torso and shoulder bells.

Visually, they both accomplish the same thing. Technically, it's just a matter of comfort and mobility since the solids do not hinder movement, whereas the bearing versions (I'd imagine) probably make the arms more mobile. (Basically like the difference between solid and rubber shorts)

Here's a visual representation of what I mean.

My shoulder bells are attached directly to the torso THROUGH the shoulder rings with velcro so I can adjust accordingly.

So everything still moves nice and smoothly, but it's a much different than the bearing system that is actually bolted (if I'm correct) to the torso.

Different methods, same visual outcome in the end. Just a matter of preference is all. Which is why I say it's debatable. :P

IMG_2175.jpg

I think you guys have a good CRL going here, but I want to add my two cents. We have a number of lines that discuss internal strapping. CRLs don't get into that typically. If it is a connection that is visible from the exterior, such as the chest/back straps on the scout or the hinges on a protocol droid's shins, then it belongs. But discussion of internal bungies doesn't belong in the CRL.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

Greetings from Australia, I'm so happy that this CRL is taking shape. I would just like to put my 2 cents worth in about the shoulder rings. Mine are the alloy bearing shoulder rings and they stop the ring from popping out or dropping down when the arm is moved. This issue can be seen in many photos but this is more an issue of levels of building for a costume. Maybe the strapping system for the shoulder ring could be level 1 and something like the bearing system could be level 2 ?. I know that the bearing system is costly but I like knowing that there is no movement once its put together .i.e. it will not float around the shoulder.

Have we looked at levels for this CRL ???. Another one that comes to mind is the belly mat. Yes the movie version is the rubber mat but they are hot and heavy. For us in Australia in the middle of summer when its 45 degrees C the rubber mat would kill us. I know some 3po builders use a ribbed cloth mat with the wires and the look is still pretty good. Again it could come down to a level thing.

Good to see Christian back on deck with his input. Lets get this thing going as Triple 0 is showing up more and more now days.

cheers from down under, Andrew

• 3 months later...

I sent you a message @Darth Emphatic, but firgured I'd post it here too.

Will definitely need to get the wires section updated for the CRL.

All of the comics (and figure) depict his wires as grey or silver so I had that changed on my suit, and figure that should be updated as well on the live CRL since that is definitely what is canon. Mine have been changed accordingly.

I also took new photos in a studio to get my old ones updated since the old shots have colored belly wires.

post-2703-0-30157900-1502856769_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-08924600-1502856771_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-94849600-1502856772_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-69071300-1502856774_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-40015700-1502856812_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-30157900-1502856769_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-08924600-1502856771_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-94849600-1502856772_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-69071300-1502856774_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-40015700-1502856812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Question: I believe he is referenced as being "dark chrome" so is the CRL noting the color versus just shiny black, or is that an area for debate?

Asking because I am working on a protocol project currently. :thumbsup:

Can you point me towards that reference?

Obviously this is only as good as people make it: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/0-0-0

So I think it can be viewed as dark chrome, dark silver, black, etc. In reading the comic I never thought of him as black personally, but as a really dark gunmetal.

You can see here in this picture that Vader had black armor, and Triple Zero doesn't match. His color is in between the black and the silver on Vader's chest armor.

35898611744_c84157a8fd.jpgCapture by Iggy, on Flickr

And here:

36563645412_81654f6031.jpgAttack_the_base_triple_zero by Iggy, on Flickr

I know the toy is all black. Perhaps that can be a grey area (Dark Silver/Shiny Black Plating)

• 2 weeks later...

That's the main problem Iggy.

It is artwork and there is no where that it officially says it's black, or grey, or shiny whatever.

We're doomed because artwork can change! It's our lot in life. :laugh1:

We kind of just have to go with what looks most accurate.

Because some panels like the ones you showed above look grey, but then other panels look more black. As it's gone on, it seems the artists have decided to go with a more shiny black look as you can see it's pretty defined in the later Darth Vader issues, and definitely in the Dr Aphra comics.

We do what we can though I suppose! :thumbsup:

• Like 1