Starting to accumulate my Nova

tigger68

Well I'm taking the plunge. I'm sgtarting to pick up pieces of non-armor for my nova. I am purchasing my pauldron and backpack from a TD who is no longer going to be wearing them and have a question...

Another garrison member who I've been helping found some antique gold colored leather at a specialty shop locally. He's offered to purchase it and apply it to my pauldron free of charge. How close does it have to be to the rustoleum metallic gold? Or should I just stick with painting the pauldron?

Grats on the forward progress! You must be excited :)

Regarding your questions: Have you seen it? Is it close the reference pictures? How close is it to the paint you will use on your armor? You won't want blatantly different golds on the finished product.

I'm going with him tomorrow to look at it and take a sample of the dried paint on a scrap piece of leather. I hope it is close because it would make life a lot easier when it comes to painting the rest of my gear.

I know "antique gold" covers a whole range of colors and I want it to be as close to the paint on the armor as possible.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll tell you how it goes after seeing the leather tomorrow morning.

My own two cents ... I'd say go for it. If it matches - great, if it's not a perfect match but pretty close you'd have a heck of a piece of "bling" for your kit. And really what's the worst case scenario - You get to buy another paulderon ...

I think something like that: "antique leather" doesn't come up very often ... And as the saying goes ... It's better to not need and have, then need and not have.

Again just my 2 cents.

And congrats on starting to aquire your kit !

Didn't pick up the leather. The color wasn't deep enough. I'd have to repaint or dye it to more closely match the rustoleum color. However, the leather was beautiful. If I didn't have to match the colors I would definitely have spent the money required to purchase it.

Oh well, I'm picking up my pauldron next week. Already have the paint, so I might as well paint it. Trying to decide if it is cheaper to purchase my backpack, or to make my own.

Question...can we make the backpacks, um, size appropriate as long as they have the correct looking components? Just a question because I'm short from my waist up. Most of my height is in my legs so a full-sized backpack will look kind of awkward, like I'm wearing my older brother's uniform.

Thank you to everyone for your advice regarding the pauldron.

Question...can we make the backpacks, um, size appropriate as long as they have the correct looking components? Just a question because I'm short from my waist up. Most of my height is in my legs so a full-sized backpack will look kind of awkward, like I'm wearing my older brother's uniform.

Yes! Please do! Remember that we custom fits the armor to us. ALL PARTS of the armor should be fit to look good on us.

-iz

Yes! Please do! Remember that we custom fits the armor to us. ALL PARTS of the armor should be fit to look good on us.

-iz

Great! I tried on the backpack from my TD friend, and um, since he's 6'3" and I'm only 5'4", it looked really strange. So he said he'd help me build one of my own, and just make the pieces more "vertically-challenged" friendly (my words, his were more along the lines of munchkins...).

I'm really excited to get started on the parts and slowly accumulate what I need. I can hardly wait to have it finished, accepted, and be one of the black ops crowd officially.

Well, I was supposed to pick up my pauldron today but mother nature decided to send a blizzard instead. So now I have to wait...stupid snow and 3t mph winds.

One smart aleck meteorologist called it "The Blizzard of Oz". They're all as giddy as if igt were a tornado. Really funny to watch.

• 1 month later...

Okay after picking up my pauldron and looking around this sub forum, I've begun to rethink things. Instead of building an elite nova maybe I'll just go for the everyday run of the mill novatrooper commander.

Pros: 1. haven't seen a build threat for it yet; 2. Don't need a backpack; 3. Don't need a DLT-19; and 4. Don't need ammo pouches.

Cons: 1. Haven't seen a build thread for it yet so I would be on my own; 2. Wouldn't have the designation of "Elite"; and 3. If I were to get it finshed before July, couldn't troop with Alpine Garrison as a 'Mini Me' to Izzi. ;)

Okay my goal list:

1. Get a good job.

2. Finish my TIE Pilot while getting into shape.

3. Order my TX armor.

4. Get approved as a novatrooper commander.

I think that is enough for now. Maybe I'll do an elite someday but not right now.

Sweet. There has been one Novatrooper approved, so you won't need to worry about going through the approval process for a new unit. Sounds like you're ready to roll. Good luck!

-iz

Sweet. There has been one Novatrooper approved, so you won't need to worry about going through the approval process for a new unit. Sounds like you're ready to roll. Good luck!

-iz

Whew, that is a relief to know that someone already did it before me. I wouldn't want to have that on my hands.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, I think I'm going to need them.

Izzi, sorry I didn't realise you had painted your spare helmet the 'non-elite' way. I didn't read that far on your post. Sorry. The upside I now have a visual reference for it. Oh btw, did you ever repaint the shoulder bells?

Izzi, sorry I didn't realise you had painted your spare helmet the 'non-elite' way. I didn't read that far on your post. Sorry. The upside I now have a visual reference for it. Oh btw, did you ever repaint the shoulder bells?

No worries. Why are you apologizing? There's no "YOU MUST READ IZZI'S THREAD" rule! :teehee:

Yeah, everything was done for it to be fully approved. I just haven't taken "profile quality" pictures of it yet, due to the cold weather, and the fact the garrison photo sessions last year were in my garage.

-iz

No problem. At the direction my job hunt is headed I'll be able to use the real thing for a reference. And cold? I used to think the wind coming out of Big Cottonwood Canyon was cold 'til I moved to Kansas. Then I learned the meaning of 'windchill.' Hope to see some pics if spring/summer ever gets here.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have to post this picture. My leatherworking friend showed up at Planet Comicon on March 26th with a gorgeous piece of leather...and yes, he found gold paint to match.

IMG_20110326_153612.jpg

He has offered to make me a pauldron in exchange for making up a rebel legion costume for him. And yes, that is really leather. I handled it, and it looks even better under lights, not in a picture taken from a phone. The gold isn't quite as "greenish" as it looks in the picture, the fluorescent lights in the convention hall kind of gave a greenish cast to everything, including TK armor. :sick:

Just thought I'd post the picture for everyone to see. This is from the same store that I posted the information from initially, but is a different piece of leather.

TTFN.

Mine...? :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

-iz

Sorry, but as much as I like you, I think I'm keeping this one for me. I like the look a lot. Just need to decide if I want the pauldron to be all one piece, or divided into 1/3rds. The cool thing though...I get a custom fit pauldron most likely.