Shine or no shine?

So, I've been looking into the armour of the TX. All the wearable kits I have seen are shiny, but in the reference material they seem to be represented in both high gloss or a matt/satin finish.

I can find no written reference, to this, but it does say the materials used to make their armour is also used in some Mandalorian armour, which is matt/satin.

I've also seen models that look matt/satin with silver 'ageing' on them.

This also seems to be confirmed that shadow scouts can be both gloss or matt.

Can anyone confirm this as a matt shadow trooper with silver ageing would look awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further to that, Vaders suit is described as having a high shine that came from using woohoo hide, with no mention of that on the TX suits that I've seen

All the shadow troopers I have seen in the "wild" including mine have been nice and shiny. I haven't looked at the crl in awhile and don't know if it specifies gloss or matte.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The crl specifies gloss. There has only ever been the gentle giants statue...I think it's gentle giants...That had weathering. No one's created it yet to then get it added to the crl. I'd support adding it, though the weathering would need to match the statue exactly.

• Like 1

It may be that the models I've seen with weathering have all been the same one.

In relation to the matte/satin finish how much evidence would be needed to support it being allowed? The main appearance of a TX is in a comic/graphic novel, which I can't seem to get ahold of, so don't know if it specifies gloss, and the images are drawn so realistically could've either gloss or not.

In battlefront they're shadow troopers and not black hole troopers. In the reference material thread there seems to be evidence of matte/satin finish, but is that enough for it to be canon?

• 2 months later...

I have checked the CRL only 4 instances of mentioning gloss do you think in the at the top there should be a gloss statement in the special notes section?

The crl specifies gloss. There has only ever been the gentle giants statue...I think it's gentle giants...That had weathering. No one's created it yet to then get it added to the crl. I'd support adding it, though the weathering would need to match the statue exactly.

All the shadow troopers I have seen in the "wild" including mine have been nice and shiny. I haven't looked at the crl in awhile and don't know if it specifies gloss or matte.

HAHHA! Love The Wild Reference ;0 !!

• Like 1

Dorothy, we could add that until such time as someone matches the battle damaged statue.

As for the comic references, since some are so old, long standing assumption are that the armor is gloss black like a Stormtrooper. Nothing has been published to the contrary to date and as a legion we have that whole uniformity thing as far as the standard shadow Stormtrooper goes.

• Like 1

I just had a talk to our GMO and furthermore studied the CRL. In the CRL for the Nova trooper for example, in the special notes it says:

The armor parts shall be gloss black and made from one of these types of materials or like materials: Fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene).

While in the Special notes for the Shadow Trooper ist just says:

The armor parts shall be made from one of these types of materials or like materials: Fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene).

I strongly suggest to add the part "The armor parts shall be gloss and made..." to the CRL of the Shadow Trooper. As we point it out at all the other costumes CRLs (TFA Elite, Novatrooper, shadow Scout etc.) why not at the Shadow Trooper's? Our GMOs also strongly suggested to change the CRL. Otherwise things are not clear and we are facing the approval of more Troopers with a satin finish.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem adding it, but it shouldn't be confusing to make the costume like the picture unless anything special is named. If you've got 100 gloss shadow stormtroopers and you want to make a matte one, asking is the smart thing to do. Anyway, it will be published in the CRL shortly.

• Like 2

Thank you very much. This will avoid seeing matte armors in the future. :) Still it's true, that our GMOs should have asked the detachement when in doubt. It's not the correct coause of action just du approve something. Unfortunately not all the GMOs seem to think this way... :(