Approvable Shadow- / Blackholetrooper Armor

Hi everybody. Since two years now we have discussions within the our garrison when it comes to the Blackholetrooper's armor. The Discussion started when our GMOs approved two Troopers who bought there armor from RS Probs (made of ABS). Many other people (including me) where unhappy with this disesseon as we felt, that the armor is way too dull for a Blackhole Trooper according to our CRL. There was a short discussion with the GMOs and the topic was closed. I think they decided on not to approve anymore black RS armors made of ABS if they are not lacquered shiny but I'm not sure of that.

Now a local Prop Maker here in Germany which is called Iron Motion, is offering a new Armor for the Blackhole Trooper. They used to make there armor out of HIPS and it had a real deep glossy effect. Now they re using ABS and again there is a discussion if it is shiny anough or it has to be revised and made glossy. With the Permission of Iron Morion I would like to present the armor to the Detachment to clearify the matter and maybe to give our GMOs an advise as how to proceed with the new Iron Motion Trooper. I also want to save people from not getting an approval... So I hope you can help me. First the Picture of a RS Trooper:

You can see me on the left side standing next to the a Trooper in RS Armor:

rstroopery5op0.jpg

This is the new Trooper from Iron Motion:

newironmotiontrooperzoqnh.jpg

I'm eager for your Feedback. Thanks!

From that picture, it looks like a gloss armor. It's not a "high-gloss" that shows reflections, but it does seem like a gloss that would meet CRL standards. It could probably use a good polish though, it seems to be hazy in some areas, but probably from oils during handling.

• Like 3

Izzi may have a point...that it might be able to get a good polish and be good. For me though if it isn't the shiny gloss, then it is a different sheen altogether (semi-gloss, satin, etc. down the scale.)...the haze knocks it off gloss IMO. CRL only mentions gloss. My 2 cents anyways.

So we agree, that the above one from RS would not be approvable whilst the Iron Motion one would be ok?

I don't like either of them as I only like the deep gloss for the Shadow Trooper... but the Iron Motion one I consider at least ok. :D

To me gloss is totally related to shine alone and if you can see somewhat of a picture (clarity is totally dependent on the shine) then it is good. Looking at the RS prop one, even though it is a lot more flat black compared to the others you can still see some reflection of surrounding stuff in it. It isn't perfect in clarity but it is still there. The reason I bring that up is on the hand plates it states they can be latex or latex-like material or glossy which is often a more dull finish but still glosses with light.

I think the fact that we are based off some book descriptions and such we definitely have that in our favor amongst all the different makers.

• 1 year later...

Pretty bad i found this thread just now, my shadow is made by RS props and my application is still pending.

here is a picture of me wearing it, what do you think, is is glossy enough for the 501st?

ST1 - Kopie.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Halycon said:

Pretty bad i found this thread just now, my shadow is made by RS props and my application is still pending.

here is a picture of me wearing it, what do you think, is is glossy enough for the 501st?

ST1 - Kopie.jpg

Definitely should be glossy enough for basic if anything 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Halycon said:

ST1 - Kopie.jpg

I'd approve it if I was the GML.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, Halycon said:

ST1 - Kopie.jpg

Looking sharp! It should be approved fast, Brother! ? 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ImperialLoyalty342 said:

Definitely make sure to let us know! Did you shine the Armor at all when you got it? Is it abs or pvc? I’m waiting for my full commissioned shadow trooper from rs and the hate on rs shadow being dull is starting to make me worried.

Its ABS, and the CRL says ABS with gloss is working fine. I just used some polish and the pictures never get close to how it looks in real, believe me, its glossy enough. See it like this: the guys with the mirror bare armor are more the parade guys, while i see myself like a tactical nocturne shadow... ready to become the night and get unseen to accomplish the mission.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, ImperialLoyalty342 said:

I have abs too!  What kind of polish is safe for it?

I use a polish from "Armor All" , recommended by a SpecOps brother, pretty good stuff ...

52 minutes ago, Halycon said:

I use a polish from "Armor All" , recommended by a SpecOps brother, pretty good stuff ...

Another good polish is Novus 1 & 2. I use it on my TK and it actually removes scratches on ABS while also shining it up.

• Like 1

Our GMOs usually don't approve RS Shadow Troopers any more. They lack the proper glossy finish. I myself would only recommend ABS with an acrylic finish as it is sold from Troopermakers like Troopermaster and RWA. RS Armors should get a makeover with a clearcoat to get a deep glossy finish. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, ImperialLoyalty342 said:

I love the dlt you have in the photo, is this an rs prop also? For around 220$ it seems pretty good if it holds up well. Would you recommend?

Yes it’s from RS, and it’s a pretty good blaster, I can definitely recommend it.

43 minutes ago, Janem said:

Our GMOs usually don't approve RS Shadow Troopers any more. They lack the proper glossy finish. I myself would only recommend ABS with an acrylic finish as it is sold from Troopermakers like Troopermaster and RWA. RS Armors should get a makeover with a clearcoat to get a deep glossy finish. 

Jesus... if that’s true i would like to join some us garrison ?, can’t believe I threw all this money away...,,

5 minutes ago, Halycon said:

Jesus... if that’s true i would like to join some us garrison ?, can’t believe I threw all this money away...,,

It's not over yet! I feel like you will be approved as is. If it REALLY comes to it, you could spray your kit with a high gloss clear coat and then polish it. 
I used polyurethane clear coat on my Death Trooper kit, wet sanded it with 3000 grit sandpaper and then polished it with auto polish and wax. It looks like a mirror. I don't see why that wouldn't work for your kit if need be.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Devolver said:

It's not over yet! I feel like you will be approved as is. If it REALLY comes to it, you could spray your kit with a high gloss clear coat and then polish it. 
I used polyurethane clear coat on my Death Trooper kit, wet sanded it with 3000 grit sandpaper and then polished it with auto polish and wax. It looks like a mirror. I don't see why that wouldn't work for your kit if need be.

Hope that step is not necesary , painting a complete armor is something i don't really wanna do by myself, maybe if someone helps...

2 hours ago, Janem said:

Nils, if it comes to that, can i come over to you and would you help me fix it, with that painting stuff.... i've seen you have many costumes, you look like a real pro.