jc1327's DT WIP

I've been a member here for a while, and I finally pulled the trigger on a set of DT armor from 850 armor works. I currently have an approved ESB Boba Fett. This is going to be a new type of build for me, so I will be asking all types of questions.

I am thinking of 3d printing Tom Campbell's helmet and E-11D (I have a creality cr-10s printer so I should be able to print everything), and I was thinking of going with the imperial boots package for all of the soft parts. Are IP soft parts approvable without a lot of work, and if they aren't, who else could I look to for soft parts. I was going to build a shoretrooper until I realized that since I am 6'4" and 240, the DT would look much cooler.

• Like 1

Look up The Darside Closest for your soft parts. They provide the full kit and are excellent quality for money!

Endor Finders is the best place for gloves.

Amazon for Dr Marten boots.

Hope this helps you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question about the rigging/strapping of the armor. I am 6'4" with wide shoulders, so I don't think that my shoulder armor will be touching the chest/back armor like I see on most other suits. Is it passable to have the straps that hold the shoulder to the chest/back showing?

• 1 month later...

The armoryshop helmet and 850 armor works armor have arrived. Now I have to watch some youtube videos to see how to build everything. This is going to be harder than I thought.

The armoryshop helmet and 850 armor works armor have arrived. Now I have to watch some youtube videos to see how to build everything. This is going to be harder than I thought.

I recommend following “Big Pete Cosplay†he is currently doing the build tutorial for 850 armor works kit. :)

I recommend following “Big Pete Cosplay†he is currently doing the build tutorial for 850 armor works kit. :)

I subscribed to his youtube channel as soon as I ordered the armor. One of my main questions has to do with the paint colors and locations for the helmet. I've seen a few different versions, is there a list of what colors to use and what parts are which color?

• 1 month later...

I started trimming my armor after watching the tutorial videos from big pete on youtube. My question is what is the general opinion on painting their 850 armor, should I paint it or would I be able to use Novus ABS polish instead to get the gloss shine on the armor.

• 4 months later...

After trying on the Armory Shop helmet, I decided to 3d print the DT helmet from Tom Campbell's file. The helmet is printed,but needs a lot of work before I can start painting. I also 3d printed Sen Field's E-11D rifle, and it is ready for final paint, the problem is I a not sure there the white pinstriping and red sections go on it. I checked the CRL and it doesn't show all side of the rifle, so if anyone has a layout or pics of the paint detail, I would love to see them.

• 3 months later...

Thanks, once the weather warms up I can get the weapons finished and start on the helmet. Once the helmet is done, I was planning on ordering soft parts. I am trying to decide between Jim T and Dark Side Closet.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I started the suit up again, and now I have some more questions. Since the CRL has been updated in the last year or so, my 850AW armor doesn't meet the requirements. I contacted 850AW about the new chest and back armor, and they sent me some pics. They now have what looks like resin piece that gets attached to the back armor that meets the new CRL. Has anyone built a new 850 kit with the new chest/back armor? Also, any ideas of what to use for the thighs, the rubber mat that came with my armor is junk now.

I don't really want to spend too much more on this armor (the new back, chest, and collar are $190 plus shipping), but to meet the CRL I will have to. I am almost temped to scrap the 850 armor and go with something else.

At least the sidearm, helmet, and e-11D are done.

Hi Justin, sorry to hear you are having issues with your build. I wasn't aware of any issues with the chest and back, I did notice there were other issues with other pieces of the kit. For the thighs Plastic Arms Dealer used to make rubber thigh inserts, you might be able to purchase those? @amcclary

@jc1327 Justin, what exactly are your issues with 850s back and chest. I was Primary on the CRL updates and I intentionally made sure that the current kit maker's kits could pass the basic level approval with a few minor tweaks. I'm not a fan of ABS for the DT.  IOF the details to look authentic the lines need to be crisp. Post up some photos of what you have, maybe we can offer up better solutions than you spending more money. I know there are a few 850 build threads on here as well.

Here is the replacement parts that 850AW has to meet the new CRL. My kit is 3 years old, so I don't think it's possible to get the back plate up to the reference.

https://850armorworks.com/DeathTrooper-Chest-Back-Complete-Set-p375958188

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the 850AW kit. The pulls aren't the best, and I had to replace several parts when I first got the kit. I would like to build a DT costume, but I am also thinking of just scrapping the kit and moving on to something else. Who makes a good not too expensive kit other than 850AW?

On 7/18/2021 at 9:29 PM, jc1327 said:

I started the suit up again, and now I have some more questions. Since the CRL has been updated in the last year or so, my 850AW armor doesn't meet the requirements. I contacted 850AW about the new chest and back armor, and they sent me some pics. They now have what looks like resin piece that gets attached to the back armor that meets the new CRL. Has anyone built a new 850 kit with the new chest/back armor? Also, any ideas of what to use for the thighs, the rubber mat that came with my armor is junk now.

I don't really want to spend too much more on this armor (the new back, chest, and collar are $190 plus shipping), but to meet the CRL I will have to. I am almost temped to scrap the 850 armor and go with something else.

At least the sidearm, helmet, and e-11D are done.

@wook1138 Greg ... any advice?

On 4/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, jc1327 said:

Here is a pic of the finished E-11D. It's not perfect, but I think its good enough. Using eye shadow for the barrel was a pain in the rear.

e-11d.jpg

JC, where is this E-11D from?

Does it fit alot of wiring/electronics?

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

@wook1138 Greg ... any advice?

I’ll have to double check my armour when I get home, but I think the smaller recessed details (open square, small rectangle) were not present. if that is the case then the old armour is no longer CRL compliant (do I have to return my TX status, lol). 

I’m pretty sure the collar can be made to follow the CRL description from what I can tell - there will be a seam but it can be made to be inconspicuous. 

The 850 armour can be frustrating… partly due to the fact that the pulled ABS is just too soft for the crisp details, but also some of the details are just not super accurate. 

to be honest, I’m not sure if the new resin backplate conforms to the CRL either. 850 seems to have extra details not mentioned in the CRL (full disclosure- I’m embarrassing unfamiliar of the new CRL).  They can always be filled in if you go that route. 

• Thanks 1
On 7/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, TheFireAwakens1807 said:

JC, where is this E-11D from?

Does it fit alot of wiring/electronics?

Its a 3d printed one. I believe I got the files from Sean Fields. Mine as it sits doesn't have any room for electronics, but since its a 3d file, it can be modified to fit them.