Painting mishaps

I've been attempting to paint my shadow trooper pieces this last week, using Rust-oleum 2x ultra cover paint + primer gloss black. Every piece was similarly sanded thoroughly from 800 grit up to 3000, and wiped down with microfiber and tack cloth prior to painting. Some of the pieces have turned out fairly well after a few coats:

IFbzPZ8.jpg

ZeqkYoH.jpg?1

wPpwJsO.jpg

Then out of nowhere, this started happening on the next pieces after a couple of coats, even though the pieces were prepped and the coats applied with the same method and timing:

P378NuC.jpg

Anyone happen to see anything like this before that might be able to offer me some insight on what I might be doing wrong? I can sand it down again (as much as i HATE sanding)... I'm just scared to waste the time and effort and additional paint before I know how to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Thanks!

Jon

I'm not a paint pro by any means...what was the weather like when you painted those pieces that got messed up?

I'm not a paint pro either and it has been awhile since I have painted anything (car parts was the last), but I think wrinkling can happen if you apply too many coats too fast or it is thick.

• Like 1

Sanded several of the pieces down and tried again, with similar results. Sanded it all again and did 1 thigh with the same process, same paint, and did the other with the same process, but a different paint (switched to rustoleum gloss black enamel, rather than the painter's touch stuff). The different paint seemed to work better without issue... redid all of the pieces with that paint, the problem hasn't happened again. /shrug

Thanks for the comments!

• Like 1

That can make sense, different paints may have different setup times and reapplication/coating times as well. They can all react to the primer and/or materials as well, as everyone knows. Glad that it is working for you now!!

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:49 PM, ibskyde said:

I've been attempting to paint my shadow trooper pieces this last week, using Rust-oleum 2x ultra cover paint + primer gloss black. Every piece was similarly sanded thoroughly from 800 grit up to 3000, and wiped down with microfiber and tack cloth prior to painting. Some of the pieces have turned out fairly well after a few coats:

IFbzPZ8.jpg

ZeqkYoH.jpg?1

wPpwJsO.jpg

Then out of nowhere, this started happening on the next pieces after a couple of coats, even though the pieces were prepped and the coats applied with the same method and timing:

P378NuC.jpg

Anyone happen to see anything like this before that might be able to offer me some insight on what I might be doing wrong? I can sand it down again (as much as i HATE sanding)... I'm just scared to waste the time and effort and additional paint before I know how to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Thanks!

Jon

Looks like a crazing issue. Could be too much solvent, paint not quite mixed long enough, or something to do with the propellant they used. Read you changed paints and all is well. Glad for that.