DeathTroopJim's DT WIP

Well, I've started down the long road to a DT kit.  I have purchased some Imperial Boots Killer boots and an Anovos helmet, and have soft parts on order from Dark Side Closet and just ordered a DLT-19D Blaster from Plastic Arms Dealer.

I am still debating what kind of armor to get: 3d Printed vs ABS vs fiberglass.  They each have their pros and cons.  I really want to go with fiberglass but I'm concerned about making adjustments if some parts don't fit quite right.

DT boots.jpg

DT Helmet.jpg

• Like 1

Have you thought about Jim Tripon's armor kit? Its a flexible fiberglass resin. I have had mine for almost a year and it has held up very well and is easy to "fit". It does require painting unlike black ABS, with fiberglass resins, the details are much cleaner than with an ABS pull.

22 hours ago, Chaos said:

Have you thought about Jim Tripon's armor kit? Its a flexible fiberglass resin. I have had mine for almost a year and it has held up very well and is easy to "fit". It does require painting unlike black ABS, with fiberglass resins, the details are much cleaner than with an ABS pull.

Ah, didn't know about that option!  Thanks for the heads-up!  I will definitely look into it.

• Like 1

After much deliberation I decide to go with Jim Tripon's DT armor kit.  I placed the order on Tuesday. It will be a big project for me to get it painted and wearable as I've never done anything like this before, but I think it will be worth it.  There are plenty of thread on this forum and elsewhere with advice on how to finish the armor so I'm sure I'll be able to figure out how to do it.

12 hours ago, Woodo007 said:

Great stuff Jim. Think u have made the right choice. As you said there is a fair few Cleared WIPs here with jim tripon kits for you to refer to. Ones I can think of are Nick Scofield, Lancer and rion Hahn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I had made a WIP thread, I'm the type of person who starts a project and works continuously until I'm either finished or drop from exhaustion. LOL 

One thing that I did do that I'm happy I did was use a rubberized spray coating on all the pieces' inside areas after I fitted them.

You're going to be surprised how easy Jim's kit will be to finish. Best of luck. There are plenty of us who have been approved and can help with any questions you might have.

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Chaos said:

I am leaning towards getting Jim's Death Trooper. How hard are they to paint? 

23 hours ago, mickeymark34 said:

I am leaning towards getting Jim's Death Trooper. How hard are they to paint? 

It was not difficult at all, it is time consuming because you want to make sure that each layer or primer, base coat, and top coat (clear if you choose) is cured. I waited a good week after I primed it and took that time to wet sand as necessary to get a smooth finish. I used Rustoleum self etching auto primer and Rustoleum Painters 2X gloss black. you can do about 2-3 light coats of the black and then wait about 5-7 days before applying 2-3 more light coats. If you don't wait and get in a hurry the subsequent coats will cause the previous ones to bubble or crack. After the final black top coat, if you want to spray with a clear, use the same brand of paint and wait about two weeks or it too will bubble or crack. Trust me it worth the patience to do it right the first time. Best of luck with your build.

Mark, a lot of people have gone to an auto paint shop and had the single stage auto paint sprayed on. Just have patience and make sure you do all the prep work, its worth it in the end.

f83c51220474c42045530d34fc8efe9c.jpg
Be patient with the paint or this will happen. I rushed putting the clear on and this happened. Just glad it wasn't the helmet I'm going to be using. I also have Jim's kit and I love how it's going together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro