Can you paint armor red to make magma armor?

I did a quick look but haven’t seen anything posted on this, probably missed it. Can you paint black or white armor red? I did a quick test and it came out pretty good. I am just not sure if it’s taboo or something. I have been looking but it appears red ABS is fairly hard to find. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Zugor said:

I did a quick look but haven’t seen anything posted on this, probably missed it. Can you paint black or white armor red? I did a quick test and it came out pretty good. I am just not sure if it’s taboo or something. I have been looking but it appears red ABS is fairly hard to find. 

The CRL states:

The armor parts shall be gloss red and made from one of these types of materials or like materials: Fiberglass, ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), or HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene”

So I think as long as the paint you use is gloss red you should have no problem. You may need to do some colour matching on the red, and you will likely have to clear coat to give the finish some durability. 

Please bear in mind I am not an expert in the Magma costume! @DeathMOS30 maybe able to provide more accurate assistance :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Basically what Mark has stated. As long as it meets the requirement of being gloss red how the armor arrives in that state is less of importance. Just make sure when you do paint your armor make sure its the correct shade, it covers everything and that you do a finishing clear coat so you wont have to keep touching it up as often. If anything if you can afford a professional auto paint job i would recommend that and if not that is ok as well. Ultimately its your local GML that will approve the costume. If you need some references on the shade there are plenty of build threads with the red pulled abs that you can look at for color matching.  Hope this information is helpful. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...