SE-14R 3D Build

I thought it might be helpful to put together a build thread on the SE-14R.  I am in the process of building one based on a 3D print by Jerry Budde.

The SE-14R is based on the 1953 Swiss Rexim-Favor, a fairly unsuccessful weapon that has proven to be much more successful in its film iterations.

Reximfavor_mk5.jpg.1b3ed0391dbacba8e42f5ca2bf976315.jpg

After appearing in modified from in the original Star Wars and Alien, it appeared in s lightly different form in Rogue One.  For the film, as far as I can tell, an actual Rexim-Favor was not used and a resin version or some other cast process was used.  This SE-14R from Celebration Europe definitely looks like it was pulled from a mold to me:

DeathTrooper3.thumb.jpg.d55b4787023c51e8ae22dd552e7d8bc5.jpg

Many people make 3D printed versions of the SE-14R.  I don't know anyone who makes a metal version.

The one I bought was from Jerry Budde, who is contactable thought the Death Trooper build group on Facebook, and was printed using Tom Campbell's 3D files.  I don't know if anyone else's files are used by anyone.

Here are the parts that I received.  The scope is real and not printed.  I don't intend to do anything to it other than attach it.

IMG-1259.jpg

IMG-1331.jpg

You can really see the 3D print lines in this photo:

IMG-1334.jpg

Lots of sanding is needed.

I started with 80 grit sandpaper to knock things down a bit to start off.

IMG-1332.jpg

I had to be careful though as many of the pieces have details that I don't want to be removed.  I also felt that it would be better at least for now to leave everything unassembled.  I also did not sand surfaces that would not be visible.

I spent a fair amount of time on each part at the 80-grit stage.  Here's how things looked after sanding.

IMG-1455.jpg

IMG-1453.jpg

Before applying the filler primer, I wanted to mask all of the portions of the pieces that had details I did not want to sand.  That way, when I did a second round of filler primer coat, I could do it over everything without any need for masking.  That was the idea anyway.  I did not want to have too many coats of primer over the pieces with fine details as I was afraid I might lose too much of them with too many layers of paint.

IMG-1506.jpg

Next was spraying on Dupli-Color Filler Primer.

IMG-1511.jpg

I followed the instructions on the can and applied three coats over a fairly short time.  It went on pretty well.  There were no drips, and it appeared to coat pretty evenly.  This stuff dries very quickly and has a very flat, slightly rough surface.  It sands well, but slowly.

IMG-1533.jpg

IMG-1538.jpg

The next step is sanding.  The idea with filler primer is that it fills the voids between the 3D print layers, and you sand off everything else to end up with a smooth surface that you can paint.

I used 120-grit sandpaper.

IMG-1539.jpg

Here's where the filler primer is in the 3D print lines but mostly sanded off the top:

IMG-1541.jpg

It's starting to get smoother, and the lines are definitely looking less prominent.  This part took quite some time.

IMG-1730.jpg

IMG-1733.jpg

I did dry-fit the bottom of the magazine to the magazine to make sanding a little easier.  These were the only two parts that I connected at this stage.

In the parts I received, the end cap for the rear of the barrel had some printing grooves in it that were pretty deep.  The piece that partially covers the barrel also looked a little weak in the middle.

For these issues, I used Bondo Spot Putty at the wise recommendation of amcclary on the forums here: 

IMG-1741.jpg

It's a 2-part Bondo, but unlike some other forms of Bondo, it's softer and easier to work with.  I just applied it with a latex glove and pressed it into the parts that needed it.  You can sand it very quickly.  I think 30 minutes is all that I waited.  I used 220 and then 400-grit sandpaper very softly.  I think it worked really well.

IMG-1746.jpg

IMG-1745.jpg

More primer and sanding to come!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I sanded all of the pieces again with 400 to get to this point.

IMG-1761.jpg

I then washed and dried everything.  With the bulk of the sanding done, I could then assemble everything.  I used small wooden dowels and CA glue to connect the barrel to the base.  This would locate the two parts together to keep everything straight.

IMG-1811.jpg

IMG-1805.jpg

I let it sit overnight.  I then used CA glue to attach the remaining pieces:

IMG-1817.jpg

IMG-1819.jpg

I used 1/2" length #9 brass screws for the handle.  They don't actually screw into anything, so they were also set in place with CA glue.  The white portion is a bit of PVC pipe to make sure the interior of the barrel was not open.

I had to bore out the holes in the scope mount so the screws that came with the scope would easily fit:

IMG-1821.jpg

It was time to paint.  I decided to use Tamiya for plastics aluminum spray paint (TS-17) as a base.  That way, any scratches or dents will show through to aluminum and hopefully make the whole thing look more like metal.  I also thought it might come through the matte black a bit.

IMG-1854.jpg

I used a wooden dowel in a bottle filled with sand to paint:

IMG-1855.jpg

This paint is really easy to use and lays down really flat.  It also exposes problem areas rather vividly.

After two coats, the upper cover of the barrel was not looking so hot:

IMG-1860.jpg

I decided after a few days of letting things cure to move to a matte black using Tamiya TS-6:

IMG-1874.jpg

IMG-E1887.jpg

This paint is amazing: it covers well and really helps things look smooth.  I did three coats.

The upper portion of the barrel though needed more work.  I tried 400 sandpaper, but it didn't help enough.  I needed to use spot putty to even out the whole area.  I masked off nearby areas that were acceptable so as not to screw them up:

IMG-1895.jpg

It seemed like a step backwards.  I used 400 sandpaper on it and then went and painted it with matte black again, but the coat didn't turn out too even because of the different levels of paint.  The grooves, however, were far less visible:

IMG-2004.jpg

I couldn't really get an even surface so I pretty much sanded everything all the way down again on the top barrel cover using 400.  I masked off everything that looked ok:

IMG-2010.jpg

I then used spot putty in the really bad areas that were now a bit low so the surface would be straight:

IMG-2019.jpg

So, now back to aluminum:

IMG-2024.jpg

Things still needed a little sanding with 400:

IMG-2028.jpg

I then painted 3 coats of the Tamiya matte black:

IMG-2154.jpg

IMG-2194.jpg

I think things were looking pretty good now.

I used some hex screws in the base to fill some holes in an effort to replicate the prop more accurately.  I used M2x30mm button head hex screws.  They needed to be pretty long to get into the barrel and do much:

IMG-2153.jpg

Finally time to apply the decal, which came from Hawaii.  Thanks to Chaos for making a great decal and being so reasonable on the price:

IMG-2252.jpg

After letting the decal cure, it was finally time for some flat clear coat: Tamiya TS-80.

IMG-2261.jpg

After three coats of clear, all I had to do was very lightly remove the lettering from the scope with some 400 sandpaper and attach it.

IMG-2275.jpg

I thought about repainting the end of the scope but I decided to keep it in this condition.

Done!

Overall, I think it looks pretty good.  It took an alarming amount of time, and I kind of wish it was metal, but I'm pretty happy with the result.  I'm now well into the Airsoft Sterling E-11D all-metal build.  Hopefully, this thread will be helpful for people like me who have never tackled a 3D-printed prop before.  The before pictures of the parts look really rough.

I definitely came away thinking that the Tamiya paints are worth every penny, that spot primer is the best way to resolve bad areas, and that the base aluminum layer was a good idea.  Also, when in doubt, sand some more!

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

I see this post is over a year old, but just wanted to offer my thanks as well for posting a great build with *tons* of helpful pictures.  I'm in the process of doing exactly what you have done, with a 3d print from Tom Campbell's files, and seeing how you have worked it out step by step is a *tremendous* help.  Thanks again!

52 minutes ago, DHKnecht said:

I see this post is over a year old, but just wanted to offer my thanks as well for posting a great build with *tons* of helpful pictures.  I'm in the process of doing exactly what you have done, with a 3d print from Tom Campbell's files, and seeing how you have worked it out step by step is a *tremendous* help.  Thanks again!

Glad it was helpful!