Sithtrooper Abdomen Section - Draft CRL Development Discussion

Ready for agreement

Abdomen Section

• Finished in a high gloss deep red that matches the colors of the entire costume
  • The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam, the opening is concealed by the Thermal Detonator Plate
  • The top of the abdomen is covered by the Cuirass
  • The abdomen has 8 rectangular boxes that have chamfered edges, sit flush on the abdomen and matches the order and placement shown
    • The largest horizontal box has a small black recessed square to on the lower left to the wearer
    • The smaller boxes are identical in size to each other
    • The 2nd box from the wearer's right has diagonal recessed lines
  • The abdomen has 4 vertical raised 'cover strips' along the front half of the abdomen, they start from the belt and disappear under the cuirass
    • the two right strips are smaller
    • the two left strips are larger,  with a recessed channel just slightly off center to the right
  • In the first channel between the two right strips are diagonal recessed lines that start from the belt and disappear under the cuirass.
  • Ribbed details run from the inside edge of the outermost 'strips' to a point just above the 4th abdomen box from the right
  • There is a recessed rectangle above the 4th abdomen box from the left, on the plain section of the armor,
  • Diagonal recessed lines extend downwards from the first right-most cover strip, appear to underlap the 2nd coverstrip and terminate over the 4th box from the wearer's right.
  • Diagonal recessed lines extend downwards from the left most cover strip, appear to underlap the large cover strip (front left) and terminate over the same 4th box from the wearer's right.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• There is a visible ledge that holds the belt in place just below the abdomen boxes, it extends to within an inch from the edge of the Thermal Detonator Mounting Plate
  • There are 5 tabs below this ledge to support the belt. Widest one is at the front and aligns with Cod, with two smaller ones each side of the large one
  • The 2nd box from the wearer's right has 16 diagonal, recessed lines
  • The termination of the diagonal lines forms a small trapezoidal shape above the 4th box from the wearer's right.
  • All the boxes are separate and not moulded to the abdomen
  • 5 months later...

Abdomen Section

• The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam.
  • The abdomen has 8 boxes attached that matches the order and placement shown and sit flush against the armor.
    • The large box has a small black recessed square to on the lower left to the wearer.
    • The rest of the boxes identical in size to each other
    • the box 2nd from the right has ribbed detailing on the entire surface, running in the same pattern as abdomen armor beneath
  • The abdomen has 4 raised 'strips' along the front half of the abdomen
    • the two right strips are smaller, (measurements here)
    • the two left strips are larger, (measurements here) with a recessed channel just slightly off center to the right
  • Ribbed details run from the inside edge of the outermost 'strips' to a point just above the 4th abdomen box from the right
  • There is a recessed rectangle above the 4th abdomen box from the left, on the plain section of the armor,
  • Thanks 1
On 1/1/2020 at 7:27 AM, JoeShoe said:

Abdomen Section

• The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam.
  • The abdomen has 8 boxes attached that matches the order and placement shown and sit flush against the armor.
    • The large box has a small black recessed square to on the lower left to the wearer.
    • The rest of the boxes identical in size to each other
    • the box 2nd from the right has ribbed detailing on the entire surface, running in the same pattern as abdomen armor beneath
  • The abdomen has 4 raised 'strips' along the front half of the abdomen
    • the two right strips are smaller, (measurements here)
    • the two left strips are larger, (measurements here) with a recessed channel just slightly off center to the right

Thanks for the contribution.  

I think there needs to be a lot more work done concerning the details of the front section of the abdomen. Some of the cover strips mentioned start thin near the belt and then get thicker as they extend underneath the Cuirass. 

• Like 1
On 1/4/2020 at 8:26 PM, nanotek said:

Thanks for the contribution.  

I think there needs to be a lot more work done concerning the details of the front section of the abdomen. Some of the cover strips mentioned start thin near the belt and then get thicker as they extend underneath the Cuirass. 

agreed. just figured I'd start the work and let us hammer out the details with input from as many as possible.  We can include measurements for the narrowest and widest points of the strips?  The more we look at this costume, the more I'm convinced almost every section will need a detailed breakdown picture, similar to what's on the First Order Snowtrooper CRL.  There, we can have specific markups for the measurements.

Do we define the amount of lines, like we have for other parts?  I'm not quite sure if adjusting the abdomen section for costumers of varying height/body type will change what that looks like. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, JoeShoe said:

agreed. just figured I'd start the work and let us hammer out the details with input from as many as possible.  We can include measurements for the narrowest and widest points of the strips?  The more we look at this costume, the more I'm convinced almost every section will need a detailed breakdown picture, similar to what's on the First Order Snowtrooper CRL.  There, we can have specific markups for the measurements.

Do we define the amount of lines, like we have for other parts?  I'm not quite sure if adjusting the abdomen section for costumers of varying height/body type will change what that looks like. 

Again thanks for the input, it is very helpful! For me the first part of the exercise is to get as much details as possible, then we look at how we show the details. Getting the text right is first and foremost at this stage, I've been trying to break down a piece of armor into logical sections and then work on each section. Or where possible look for similarities between pieces first, then document the differences. The abdomen was always going to be the hardest because it doesn't appear to be divided into any quantifiable sections, like the thighs or shins for example. I'm going to look at it from an artist/design perspective to see it conforms to golden ratio etc This may help inform the text better.

We capture all the lines and angles where we can and will adjust for L1 and L2. L1 might make the amount of lines a little fuzzier as long as it does not affect the overall look of the costume. 

Mark, just a thought, in order for the CRL to accommodate individual sizing, if you put any type of  widths or any groove numbers which limit the ability of the wearer to adjust the circumference of the abdomen, then you are in effect discriminating who can wear this costume and what Level they can obtain. ie. only people who's waist size is 30-36" because any larger would need to either add shims, which would increase a section's CRL annotated width or the number of lines/grooves a section has thus preventing costume CRL/Level approval. For example some makers customizing 3D files in order to size them to the individual wearer. For this costume, it would be an easy method to gain some girth in an abdomen piece to add 1-2 inches to either a flat section or to one of the grooved sections. The abdomen would still give the appearance of looking proportional and correct yet it would not contain 32 grooves but rather 42, or the upper width of a tapered section may need to be 3 inches instead of a CRL width of 2 inches. I hope that makes sense, I am at the end of my day and sleep is calling me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Measurements of grooves might be a bit much.. but the number of grooves should stay  the same.  If you're sizing up proportionally, it'll happen in one of two ways - 

a) for a 3d model, you'll literally just scale the print up.  Number of grooves will be the same, but measurements might be slightly larger.  Much of the shimming for this kit can fortunately be hidden by the backplate/det/plate, but there will be some individuals who might have to scale up the front of the abs in order to make it look proportional to their build

b) For a cast/vaccuform, the master mold or individual pieces will just have to be resculpted to scale proportionately if someone is much larger than the intended fit.  Like the 3d prints, much of the shimming can be hidden, but in order to maintain proportions, the front details might have to be scaled up in order to wrap from one side of the abs to the other.  

Both methods will allow you to keep the number of grooves, and unless you're literally scaling up by 200%, it shouldnt change the appearance of the grooves drastically.  (a 200% scale up would be a massive undertaking either way)

• 4 months later...

Seems good...though I will admit I was getting a bit lost in determining which box was being talked about.  That may be an issue for GMLs unfamiliar with the costume.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:47 PM, Raider said:

Seems good...though I will admit I was getting a bit lost in determining which box was being talked about.  That may be an issue for GMLs unfamiliar with the costume.

We'll definitely want a detailed breakdown photo pointing out each segment (maybe numbering the boxes on a diagram?).  The First order Snowtrooper CRL was highly detailed in that regard - would probably be good for us to have something similar.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...