Sith Trooper Gaskets and Undersuit - Draft CRL Development

Ready for review

Undersuit

• Black material racing type suit

Neck Seal

• Gaskets shall be ribbed and made of rubber or a shiny black material
  • Ribs stop at the base of the neck and turns into a smooth section forming the rest of the neckline
  • Conceals the wearer's neck
  • Zip at the back

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Gaskets are made of rubber. Fabric or sewn gaskets are not acceptable
  • Part of a gasket vest or top comprising of neck, shoulder and elbows.

Shoulder Gaskets

• A vertical raised shoulder seam may be present in the gap between the shoulder bell and the arm hole of the cuirass. It may sit under the shoulder bell and slope downwards towards the front of the cuirass.
  • Rib direction is horizontal
  • Connect to the top of the bicep armour concealing the wearer's should and top of the bicep area

• Seam is 20mm (3/4”) wide

Elbow Gaskets

• Gasket ribs a slightly diagonal sloping downwards from the inside elbow to outside elbow of the wearer
  • Sit underneath the bicep and forearm concealing the wearer's elbows

Shorts Gaskets

• Front Ribs run a slight angle vertically, sloping downwards from the outside of the hips towards the inner thigh
  • Back Ribs run on a slight angle horizontally, sloping downwards from the outside of the hips towards the inner thigh
  • From the front the gaskets sit underneath the abdomen, codpiece and top of thighs concealing the wearer's groin area
  • From the rear the gaskets sit underneath the abdomen, posterior and top of thighs concealing the wearer's butt area
  • There is a vertical seam on the hips towards the rear where the front and back gasket ribs intersect

• Part of a set of pants (shorts and knees)

Knee Gaskets

• Ribs run horizontally
  • Sit underneath the thigh and shin concealing the wearer's knees

• Part of a set of pants (shorts and knees)
  • 6 months later...

Shoulder Gaskets

• Ribs run horizontally from shoulder seam
  • Connect to the top of the bicep armour concealing the wearer's should and top of the bicep area

Do we want any clarification about the shoulder seam at L1?  I see that we have measurements at L2, but perhaps something about where it should rest? 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, nanotek said:

Ready for review

Undersuit

• Black material racing type suit

Neck Seal

• Zip at the back

• Part of a gasket vest or top

Shoulder Gaskets

• Ribs run horizontally from shoulder seam

Elbow Gaskets

• Gasket ribs a slightly diagonal sloping downwards from the inside elbow to outside elbow of the wearer
  • Sit underneath the bicep and forearm concealing the wearer's elbows

Shorts Gaskets

• Front Ribs run a slight angle vertically, sloping downwards from the outside of the hips towards the inner thigh
  • Back Ribs run on a slight angle horizontally, sloping downwards from the outside of the hips towards the inner thigh
  • From the front the gaskets sit underneath the abdomen, codpiece and top of thighs concealing the wearer's groin area
  • From the rear the gaskets sit underneath the abdomen, posterior and top of thighs concealing the wearer's butt area
  • There is a vertical seam on the hips towards the rear where the front and back gasket ribs intersect

• Part of a set of pants

Knee Gaskets

• Ribs run horizontally
  • Sit underneath the thigh and shin concealing the wearer's knees

• Part of a set of pants

Looks good overall.  I only highlighted my one question in yellow (in addition to what @JoeShoe asked).

Is that highlighted detail noticeable as such for L1 or something we can bump to L2 being it is located on the hips?

5 hours ago, JoeShoe said:

Do we want any clarification about the shoulder seam at L1?  I see that we have measurements at L2, but perhaps something about where it should rest? 

Are you asking if it should be L2? If this is the case then I would say no as it is seen on a lot of the references. It is not uncommon to have measurements on L1 items as has been stated before. The difficulty with a costume like this due to it's complicated design is do we go one rule for all, or mixture. I believe a mixture is the best approach. 

I think you raise a good point about where the seam is located, a lot of the reference materials show that it sits under the shoulder bell and slopes inwards toward the front of the chest. There are others where you can barely see it to not at all. I think it may be a good idea to word it in a way that shows that either/or is acceptable, but with L2 it will be mandatory.

5 hours ago, Raider said:

Looks good overall.  I only highlighted my one question in yellow (in addition to what @JoeShoe asked).

Is that highlighted detail noticeable as such for L1 or something we can bump to L2 being it is located on the hips?

My opinion is this; It would go without saying that you would see a clear change between the rib directions between the patterns on the front and the back, therefore a seam would be present. It's more to support what a GML would bee seeing. I think it stands at L1 as a default. 

• Like 1

Neck Seal

• Ribs stop at the base of the neck and turns into a smooth section forming the rest of the neckline
  • Zip at the back  front

Neck seal zip is on the front not the back. 

KpL45z6.png KpL45z6.png KpL45z6.png

This was also confirmed by someone who worked on set who posted in the Sithtrooper FB group

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Neck Seal

• Zip at the back  front

Neck seal zip is on the front not the back. 

KpL45z6.png OW8TKkU.png 2gEjCvJ.png

This was also confirmed by someone who worked on set who posted in the Sithtrooper FB group

Still need this updated , zip is at front not back 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Book referenceLFL Promo from FilmKpL45z6.pngbcb893f6c7cc308cd5eda80dae2bccb2.jpg
Cultire_riseofskywalker_EP9-205587_R.jpg

star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-official-topps-trading-cards-sith-trooper.jpg

Regarding the zipper at the front, and I want to discuss this because I know where have a lot of material that would seem to suggest that the zipper can go either at the front or the back. I am supporting the case that the zipper should always be at the front and using the invisible zipper method.

In all of the film related references and LFL promo materials the zipper is at the front. It is concealed quite well with the actually zipper being obscured by the invisible enclosure method. There is a difference between some of the shots of the actors in the film and the photographic promo where the it appears the enclosure is pressed flat for the promos.

I think the costume displays were set up incorrectly and the actors used for the promotional events dressed incorrectly. 

If we take a look at the following photo of the LFL costume display we can see that the zipper is not at the front, but there is bunching of the undersuit to suggest that it has been put on back to front. It would also go towards explaining why the shoulder seams are more prominent in these photos than in the screen/promo pics. 

LFL Costume Displays:

i-VC9K4z8-X4.jpgwevju7rni1l31.jpg

I think with the actors, I think most of them are 501st and probably assumed, like all other costumes, that the zipper goes towards the front.

See below where the zipper is at the front and we do not see the shoulder seams for the gaskets. Your back is broader than your chest, so it makes sense

IMG_1386.JPG

Sith_trooper_trio.png

Sith_Trooper-_Fathead-2.png

sith-trooper-main.jpg

• Like 1

This is why I posted the info above, I have only seen movie references with the zip at the front. I was also told by someone that worked in the costume department that they could confirm they were at the front the same as FOTK's in TROS and also TLJ. 

On 8/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

This is why I posted the info above, I have only seen movie references with the zip at the front. I was also told by someone that worked in the costume department that they could confirm they were at the front the same as FOTK's in TROS and also TLJ. 

Yep hence why I said "supporting the case". I probably should have been more succinct in what I was trying to achieve by doing this. The decision is to rule out any mix and match positioning of the zip. It will be front only. Hopefully that clears this up

On 8/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Also it helps if you identify the source and post a screenshot of the supporting information. Thanks