New England Shadowtrooper WIP

Hello everyone, I have had a shadow trooper kit for a long time and finally have an opportunity to work on it. Now that the weather is warming up I am researching how to put the kit together. I have never made a costume for the 501st and am excited to start. My brother made a realistic clone trooper over a 3 or so year course and learned a lot about the process, but these are two very different kits with their own challenges.  

I bought this armor kit from WTF and have been doing research for a good long while, however I have been getting lost and admittedly don't know where to start. Any advice, even on how to jump start this project is greatly appreciated and I will keep this thread updated as work begins. I look forward to learning more and finally getting this project started.

• Like 2

Welcome, Jacob!

I'd say start on the rough trims with stuff like the hand guards or the larger stuff like the chest and back plates and trim them back a bit to moulds or how they look on the CRL: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_stormtrooper

The rough cuts will allow you to ease into it and get used to the trimming and then once you get all the rough stuff out you'll start doing the finer trims. Another recommendation I would say is get a build thread going here in this thread with pictures and whatnot and we can assist. Another option on top of that is to reach out to your local garrison for armor parties. At armor parties people meet up and help each other with the armor. With all of those recommendations we can get you on your way :) 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Welcome!  My shadow trooper kit from WTF arrives this coming Wednesday and I’m super excited to get started.  Good luck. 

This is great advice, thank you for sharing.  It’s intimidating to get started.  

• Like 1
On 5/8/2020 at 11:54 PM, IcyTrooper said:

Welcome, Jacob!

I'd say start on the rough trims with stuff like the hand guards or the larger stuff like the chest and back plates and trim them back a bit to moulds or how they look on the CRL: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_stormtrooper

The rough cuts will allow you to ease into it and get used to the trimming and then once you get all the rough stuff out you'll start doing the finer trims. Another recommendation I would say is get a build thread going here in this thread with pictures and whatnot and we can assist. Another option on top of that is to reach out to your local garrison for armor parties. At armor parties people meet up and help each other with the armor. With all of those recommendations we can get you on your way :) 

Thank you for sharing this advice!!

• Like 1