Painting Nova Trooper Shoulder Bells (stripes).

Hi this is no doubt discussed elsewhere or in a better  place (admins please move it applicable) but I'm helping a fellow make his Nova and wondered what people recommend to mask the curves of the shoulder bells.

Anyone have a technique that works well and can share? Much appreciated, thanks.

• Like 1

I just finished masking and painting shoulder bells. I used green painters tape and i think the easiest thing is to follow the natural curve of the bell. Start at the top and make sure your tape is evenly spaced from the center. The tape wont have any kinks or hard edges. The nice thing is you can always pull the tape off and try again. I free hand applied my tape. Pm me some pictures on facebook-nicholas chesworth before you apply paint. In can give you some tips to ensure your lines flow evenly into the bicep and forearm if youre interested.

• Thanks 2
On 6/18/2020 at 4:01 PM, nicholaschesworth said:

I just finished masking and painting shoulder bells. I used green painters tape and i think the easiest thing is to follow the natural curve of the bell. Start at the top and make sure your tape is evenly spaced from the center. The tape wont have any kinks or hard edges. The nice thing is you can always pull the tape off and try again. I free hand applied my tape. Pm me some pictures on facebook-nicholas chesworth before you apply paint. In can give you some tips to ensure your lines flow evenly into the bicep and forearm if youre interested.

This is what I planned to do, I have lots of experience painting and costuming (as an MFA and LMO). I've done the painters tape segments on custom pilots helmets and several other things. 

I just thought that there might be a better way for such a dramatic curve to keep it nice and smooth, rather than segmenting the pieces. For models and whatnot I know there is flexible masking tape, but it tends to be smaller and not as wide as I'd like to use here. 

• Like 1