First kit build

I’m moving my kit progress to this more appropriately named thread.  This has been a bucket list item for me, but I’m very intimidated.  Building things is not my strong suit.   I’ve started with the biceps and have a question.  I will still have flat edge on the bicep parts that the cover strip will not cover.  I read the CRL but I’m not sure if this would cause an issue with me trying to get 501st approval.  I have the pic below.  Also, so the edges have to be squared or could they be slanted at the corners?

24439889-44AE-4781-B912-6F087FF385D1.jpeg

You mean the edges that round out or the cover strip at the edge? If you're talking about that cover strip you can slant it at the corner. Let me see if I can find a pic.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

You mean the edges that round out or the cover strip at the edge? If you're talking about that cover strip you can slant it at the corner. Let me see if I can find a pic.

Yes!  Is having a flat edge on each side an issue?

To be honest, I haven't polished my shadow stormtrooper yet. I probably should though. :lol:

For my regular stormtrooper I have the Novus 3 step polish. I'm going to try and use some Turtle Wax stuff for the black armor at some point, just been lazy in the 20+ troops! :lol:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dadofsix said:

First pieces are glued.  I’m doing just half of the cover strip at a time to make sure I get a good seam.  

028A536D-F318-4DF8-A191-7DA80ED08246.jpeg

Very good way to do it!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dadofsix said:

I need some help as I move to shins.  I can’t tell which piece goes with what?

5AA5EE92-E9B1-42AD-82E8-D183682EA574.jpeg

The wider parts should be on the inside. In your pic it looks like: left inside, right outside, left outside, right inside.

Also make sure that the outer back piece overlaps/closes to the inside when you have the cover strip on it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dadofsix said:

Left shin pieces line up as they should.  Hopefully it won’t be an issue for approval with the right side.  

Shouldn't be, you can just taper that side that doesn't like up so that they line up once they are together with the cover strip. Shouldn't be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

That cover strip should hide the "seam". Not sure how those shins fit on you or your calf size, so I don't want to recommend trimming more down the middle. The only other thing is to make the cover strip wider so that it pretty much reaches both "edges" of the molded part.

54 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

That cover strip should hide the "seam". Not sure how those shins fit on you or your calf size, so I don't want to recommend trimming more down the middle. The only other thing is to make the cover strip wider so that it pretty much reaches both "edges" of the molded part.

So I can go wider than the usual?  My calf’s are kind of big so I can’t trim anymore.  

is it possible the pieces are not paired up correctly?

i think if ur going to use wider cover strips and/or shims u should do that in the back.  i had a squad mate do that with his thighs...id have to see if i can find an example for shins/calves 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...