Death Trooper 3d print build in Melbourne

At 6 foot 5, the 'obvious' build for me is a Death Trooper. Let alone the fact that it looks BADASS!

So I started the build in November 2020 - in between other projects.
I'll update as I go along, please join in the 'journey'.

Some details of the build thus far (update as I go):

Helmet and armour files - Do3D
https://www.do3d.com/product-page/imperial-death-trooper-armor-star-wars-3d-model-project-1198
I originally bought Nikko files - but cutting them up was really hard and I got ZERO support (sorry - just my experience).

Rifle and pistol - Do3D
https://www.do3d.com/product-page/imperial-death-trooper-gun-set-blaster-rifle-pistol-e-11-3d-model-project-1523

• Like 1

I've had to scale up the helmet files by 20% - yep; So that means it does not fir on the build plate of the CR10s Pro.
So I've split it into 4 major sections, front left, front right, back and top.
The additional pieces all printed with the exception of the chin 'thingies' - I'll be printing these in clear so I can put a green LED behind them

Some minor flaws in the print, thanks to the lack of supports, but I'll fix them later.
And a failed print on the top, which I ended up miss-measuring the restart - which ended up with a lip.
But nothing that cant be fixed with filler at later stage.

Printed with a 0.4mm nozzle.
3 top, 3 bottom, 3 wall layers with 20% infill.

All up - 141 hours of printing, 2.3kg of filament (including supports)

E0viDte.jpg

• Like 2

Hey man. Welcome and good luck with the build. If I can give u this advice I would recommend stopping now for a couple of reasons. 1 is that D03d files are far from accurate. U did well to stop with Nikkos files. I got them to see how they were and they are full of errors and inaccuracies.  

I would suggest u either contact Tom Campbell who has produced amazing files for the deathtrooper build that have been used successfully by lots of DTs OR wait for some files that are currently in the works. A group of DTs are in the process of producing a set of files that will be released for free and are looking to be the most accurate yet. U can look for more details in the main DT build group on Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I second Woodo007's comments.  I've built the suit from Tom Campbell's files and they really can't be beat, though the future files hinted at above look promising.  I looked at the D03d files and see where you will have problems in accuracy, not to mention the unknown issues in printing.  Tom's files print great, and are the basis for pretty much every vendor out there who sells pre-made fiberglass or plastic kits.  They really are that good.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 4:18 AM, Woodo007 said:

I would suggest u either contact Tom Campbell who has produced amazing files for the deathtrooper build that have been used successfully by lots of DTs OR wait for some files that are currently in the works. A group of DTs are in the process of producing a set of files that will be released for free and are looking to be the most accurate yet. U can look for more details in the main DT build group on Facebook. 

I'd be curious to learn more about both of these.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

the main DT build group on Facebook

Super new to this forum, and looking to start my own build soon. I can't seem to find a link to the Death Trooper build Facebook group, can somebody provide a link? Has there been any movement on those free files? I'm waiting on hearing back from Tom Campbell's TDK facebook page, but haven't gotten a response yet (little under day since original message, so not too long).  I bought the CGTrader files by Geoffro a couple years ago, and I'm learning they're not that great. Holes in the files, lot of inaccuracies, so I'm treating that as a learning experience and moving on... Anybody have any idea on how much Tom charges for his files?

53 minutes ago, ElektroMorph said:

Super new to this forum, and looking to start my own build soon. I can't seem to find a link to the Death Trooper build Facebook group, can somebody provide a link?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeathTroopersBG

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 4:18 AM, Woodo007 said:

...OR wait for some files that are currently in the works. A group of DTs are in the process of producing a set of files that will be released for free and are looking to be the most accurate yet. U can look for more details in the main DT build group on Facebook. 

Any word on this? I've been snooping around that Facebook group but haven't seen anything. Maybe I just need to search harder.

6 hours ago, Jsilvius said:

Any word on this? I've been snooping around that Facebook group but haven't seen anything. Maybe I just need to search harder.

No word tho a couple spoke to me about it last year sometime.  Ive encouraged them (as Im sure @nanotek and @Chaos have) to plug in here to keep the community updated but I havent seen any action here on that and tend not to follow the build groups much.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, RAIDER said:

No word tho a couple spoke to me about it last year sometime.  Ive encouraged them (as Im sure @nanotek and @Chaos have) to plug in here to keep the community updated but I havent seen any action here on that and tend not to follow the build groups much.

The people who are involved in that project appear to have gone underground. They don't seem to be interested in sharing anything with the detachment so I wouldn't hold my breath, stick to what is tried and true IMO. Raise it on the Facebook group if you're really interested.

• Like 1

I'll reach out and see where they are at, it's more of a hobby for them, so they work on it when they can. They wanted it to be spot on, so not much use posting up progress right now. Tom's files are still the best and also use Paul Prentice's Shoretrooper build for assembly techniques as both costumes were designed by the same folks so there are a lot of similarities.  If I find out anything I will post it up in the forums.