CyberNinja's Death Trooper Build WIP

I figured it was time to start a thread on my DT build after some motivation from Raider's SpecOp videos. This is my very first build for the 501st, but I have been researching and reading through forum posts for almost a year. I'm up for the challenge as I hear that this will be a long and challenging process especially going down the 3D printed route. I was fortunate to attend a couple armor parties in Florida with Squad 7 and Tampa Bay Squad. Met some awesome people that were able to give great insight and tips on the build. This is my favorite stormtrooper, so here goes for the New Year! I hope to get this completed for 2021.

Start Date: July 1st, 2020

Goals: Complete this build by myself as much as possible (except shoes and gloves). I like to be hands on, so I'm willing to take the time to learn despite being stuck at home.
  - 3D Print my armor
  - Construct my own undersuit
  - Do the leather work myself

General Note:
  - I'm using TDK Props (Tom Campbell's files) for this build
  - For my 3D filament I'm using PETG for the armor and I'm looking into TPU for the rubbery parts
  - Most of 2020 has been printing parts and filling print lines :P
  - My wife is a costume technician, so I will be leveraging her help with soft good patterning and sewing
  - I'm 5'10" and 230 lb (Target <210 lb)

Version 2 Requirements: 
Helmet: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - Lens: Amazon - Cut
  - Rubber Seal: Armory Prop Shop - Ordered
  - NSM: TDK Props - Printed, Painting
  - LEDs: Ordering
Torso: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
Chest Rig - Not Started
  - HKG3 Magazines - Printing
Arms: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - Arm Bands - Not Started
Gloves: Endor Finders - Received
  - Armor: TDK Props - Printed, Painting
Belt: Amazon - Received
  - Buckle, Boxes, Lids: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - Canvas Pouches: Fabrics - Ordered
  - Small Leather Belt Pouch: Not Started
  - SE-14R Holster: Not Started
Legs: TDK Props - Not Started, Sizing
Balaclava: UnderArmor - Received
Pauldron: Not Started
Undersuit: Fabrics - Ordered
Boots: Dr Marten's Talib Brando (Poshmark) - Received

Weapons:
Grenades: TDK Props - Printing
E-11D Blaster: TDK Props - PrintedFilling/Sanding/Painting
SE-14R Blaster: TDK Props - Finished
  - Flashlight: GZ150041 (AliExpress) - Received

Optional Accessories: 
  - Helmet Audio System: Need to evaluate space
  - Helmet Fans: Not Started
  - Stormtrooper doll: Not Started
  - Shoe Lifts: 1.5 in heel lifts (Tallmenshoes) - Received

Getting pictures of my build in order... I will include some from 2020, but more to come soon. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you are on the right track with your build. Thank you for sharing your build with us!

1 minute ago, CyberNinja89 said:

Let me know if there is a better way of sharing the images of the progress, but here goes it. This is pretty much the progress I made in the first 5 months of 3D printing. I've got another batch of pictures from December coming.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/yTBCpAq"  ><a href="//imgur.com/a/yTBCpAq">2020 Q3/Q4 - Deathtrooper Update</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script> 

if you just copy and paste the actual imgur url link then click enter it should load the pic.  no special coding needed

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, RAIDER said:

if you just copy and paste the actual imgur url link then click enter it should load the pic.  no special coding needed

So that's why all my previous photos are jackered up! They have that bcc image code. LOL

21 minutes ago, CyberNinja89 said:

Funny, I was following one of your posts about using bbcode. Apparently, embedding imgur albums uses javascript so that's not compatible. :( 

Yep, when they re-vamped the forum the bbcode function was removed. I'll eventually get around to editing my links. Luckily the pictures are still on imgur.

Nice post ... keep us informed and send pictures of your build.  Everyone loves seeing how the process is going.  Also, I used Tom's files and printed the helmet at full size, and fit in the audio system by Tony Jobe (UKSWrath).  I ordered 40mm x 40mm x 20mm fans, but switched them for 40mmx40mm x 10mm fans so they didn't take up as much space.  On my one outing in full armor, I found out that fans are a MUST.  It was 65 degrees outside, and felt great in full armor without the helmet on, but with it on, there was so little air circulation that it got hot quickly.

4 hours ago, CyberNinja89 said:

For sure. As someone whose as moved to Florida from up north, I don't think I can survive outside with all the humidity without fans. Why do I love black armor? :P

I can tell ya the fans wont really do much cooling in our Florida heat. In a bucket they just help circulate air.  The heat...no way to escape it really.

2 hours ago, RAIDER said:

I can tell ya the fans wont really do much cooling in our Florida heat. In a bucket they just help circulate air.  The heat...no way to escape it really.

I'm in Louisiana, so I feel your pain.  I'm working on a refrigeration system for my entire unit, based in the backpack area ... stay tuned .... (should have posted that on April 1).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding the fans, I have found that pointing one fan downward as an exhaust will help keep my bucket cooler..  The St. Paddy’s parade two years ago resulted in our Fett being hauled off in an ambulance due to heat exhaustion, but I wasn’t too terribly hot with my fans running!

Alright, two more albums of progress and that should wrap 2020. Plenty of pieces so far to keep filling and to prime. I'm at the point I started a trello board to keep myself focused only certain pieces at a time. Painting is going to be tough because weather in the panhandle of Florida is starting to be sub-optimal. I'm probably use this month to focus more on the undersuit when I'm not sanding.

2020 Mid December Progress Album: https://imgur.com/a/kiNVbPP

2020 Late December Progress Album: https://imgur.com/a/bQtw7f9

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress with getting some of the smaller items prepped with the final coat of primer and start laying down some black paint. 

I'm looking to get the printed parts of the belt painted and I didn't see any paint specifications in the CRL. Looking at other DT photos from existing members, is it safe to assume that these boxes and the hard plates on the canvas pouches are also a gloss black?

• Like 1

The CRL states "The armor parts shall be gloss black and made from one of these types of materials or like materials:"

Armor, is this case refers to the entire kit unless a different color or sheen is noted (ie. for the helmet or the chest and abdomen asymmetrical panels,)

So yes you can safely assume that all your hard parts to include pouch covers and belt boxes are gloss black. 

• Thanks 1
On 1/1/2021 at 5:33 PM, CyberNinja89 said:

I figured it was time to start a thread on my DT build after some motivation from Raider's SpecOp videos. This is my very first build for the 501st, but I have been researching and reading through forum posts for almost a year. I'm up for the challenge as I hear that this will be a long and challenging process especially going down the 3D printed route. I was fortunate to attend a couple armor parties in Florida with Squad 7 and Tampa Bay Squad. Met some awesome people that were able to give great insight and tips on the build. This is my favorite stormtrooper, so here goes for the New Year! I hope to get this completed for 2021.

Start Date: July 1st, 2020

Goals: Complete this build by myself as much as possible (except shoes and gloves). I like to be hands on, so I'm willing to take the time to learn despite being stuck at home.
  - 3D Print my armor
  - Construct my own undersuit
  - Do the leather work myself

General Note:
  - I'm using TDK Props (Tom Campbell's files) for this build
  - For my 3D filament I'm using PETG for the armor and I'm looking into TPU for the rubbery parts
  - Most of 2020 has been printing parts and filling print lines :P
  - My wife is a costume technician, so I will be leveraging her help with soft good patterning and sewing
  - I'm 5'10" and 230 lb (Target <210 lb)

Version 2 Requirements: 
Helmet: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - Lens: Amazon - Cut
  - Rubber Seal: Armory Prop Shop - Ordered
  - NSM: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - LEDs: Not Started
Torso: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
Chest Rig - Not Started
  - HKG3 Magazines - Printing
Arms: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - Arm Bands - Not Started
Gloves: Endor Finders - Received
  - Armor: TDK Props - Printed, Painting
Belt: Amazon - Received
  - Buckle, Boxes, Lids: TDK Props - Printed, Filling/Sanding
  - Canvas Pouches: Not Started
  - Small Leather Belt Pouch: Not Started
  - SE-14R Holster: Not Started
Legs: TDK Props - Not Started, Sizing
Balaclava: UnderArmor - Received
Pauldron: Not Started
Undersuit: Fabrics - Ordered
Boots: Dr Marten's Talib Brando (Poshmark) - Received

Weapons:
Grenades: TDK Props - Printing
E-11D Blaster: TDK Props - PrintedFilling/Sanding
SE-14R Blaster: TDK Props - PrintedFilling/Sanding
  - Flashlight: GZ150041 (AliExpress) - Received

Optional Accessories: 
  - Helmet Audio System: Need to evaluate space
  - Helmet Fans: Not Started
  - Stormtrooper doll: Not Started
  - Shoe Lifts: 1.5 in heel lifts (Tallmenshoes) - Received

Getting pictures of my build in order... I will include some from 2020, but more to come soon. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Glad the videos gave ya a boost!  If I remember correctly we met in person at an armor party.  Best wishes on your build and will be following with interest.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Reporting back with a long awaited updated that should of been done earlier! Work got a little hectic with the first quarter.

Jan - Feb: Felt overwhelmed with all the 3D printed pieces in my bin of parts. So I focused on the SE-14R since these were small pieces to fill and prime. I also wanted to get some practice laying down black paint and clear coating consistently before moving on the large pieces. Thankfully Winter in the panhandle of Florida was ideal for temperature and humidity for spray painting. I built myself a PVC/Plastic wrapped enclosure to spray out in my patio. Otherwise I just kept Bondo filling if it was too cold. I didn't get much of chance to grab photos throughout February

2021 Early January Progress Album: https://imgur.com/a/pu90FtR

March: I would say I finally got into the groove of things with spray painting and broke through my hesitancy with the black spray paint. I definitely felt more comfortable in telling much I really need to fill and sand without being to obsessive. I finished painting and clear coating the SE-14R, so I was able to focus better on the actual armor pieces and maybe on the E-11D.

2021 Mid March Progress Album: https://imgur.com/a/FScXA25

After thoughts: Armor piece and starting the undersuit is my main priority now. After seeing DHKnecht's post on the SE-14R scope mount, I'll come back and reprint that. Thankfully I didn't fully glue that piece down after seeing the level 2 requirement.

• Like 1

Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend.

2021 April Front Helmet Progress: https://imgur.com/a/DVmi3ta

I'm hoping to get some feedback on my weathered silver on the helmet and a question to anyone that has painted Tom's helmets. The pieces of the helmet in the picture aren't glued down, but is just taped down for the moment for the picture. I have been using some watered down black acrylic, washing down the Rust-Oleum metallic silver, and then dab/wiping the excess off the pieces. In the album, I posted the left side that hasn't been weathered as a baseline and right side with weathering.

1) I know that weathering is optional, but for "weathered" silver do I still have enough room to good darker before I'm out of scope for clearance? So far the grill in the front is the darkest I have gone, followed by the bridge of the nose, and then right vents.

2) I got the TS-40 (Tamiya Metallic Black) painted on the alternating surfaces. Do you give it a gloss clear coat on the metallic black? I having a hard time seeing it on pictures.

3) Tom's file for the helmet has three layers for front: the base where it's weathered silver, a middle layer with the first alternating black/metallic black, then the smaller top layer. I noticed in that most helmets from other vendors don't have that middle layer showing at the top of the nose bridge where it's black/silver. Am I still good to leave my painted pieces as is (silver/black/black) or do I need to bring that weathered silver to the middle layer for that 1/8 in. strip?

• Like 2

Jeffrey, the center bridge and tusk area vents look good. I have attached photos of my Anovos for reference, you could add a little more black weathering to to the side vents. Al ways remem ber that less is more when it comes to "weathering" 

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1