TK-12953 Shadow Scout Build Log

Thanks for sharing!  At a glance here I am somewhat concerned about the look of these files.  Others can def chime in, but the. bicep raised area appears overly raised.  The greeblie looks like it is part of the print and the recessed area it should sit in doesnt look correct.

Likewise the chest shape and indent just seem off for some reason.

Anyways I hate to sound like a downer.  Everything may look good in person and I could just be acting overly wary of 3d print files (because they are everywhere)…but still thought I should at least mention the concerns.

May I ask where you sourced the files?  Are you aware of others using them?

• Like 2

Hey David,

I got them from ChrisThePropGuy who indicated that he had several folks get approved with them.

The greeblie is just set in there for the photo, I haven't attached it yet.

Thank you for your concern, I'll reach out to my GML and have him take a look as well.

• Like 1

I also have a set from MrPoopie form the Pathfinders detachment.

The one of the left is ChrisThePropGuy (Flat Black) the one on the Right is MrPoopie (Gloss Black).

They looked the same to me, I just used the ones from Chris because they included the helmet.

y4mUaAd2t4tViEPet_An9wLI0ZfBL-wTJFyM5qEa

• Like 1
On 6/30/2021 at 10:10 PM, RAIDER said:

Thanks for sharing!  At a glance here I am somewhat concerned about the look of these files.  Others can def chime in, but the. bicep raised area appears overly raised.  The greeblie looks like it is part of the print and the recessed area it should sit in doesnt look correct.

Likewise the chest shape and indent just seem off for some reason.

Anyways I hate to sound like a downer.  Everything may look good in person and I could just be acting overly wary of 3d print files (because they are everywhere)…but still thought I should at least mention the concerns.

May I ask where you sourced the files?  Are you aware of others using them?

I think the part we are seeing is usually the ridge on the chest goes all the way to the neck, at least that is what I'm used to seeing with ROTJ TB's. The bicep stuff looks fine to me.

Ultimately, the GML will be the one reviewing it and approving or not approving, so it is good that you are checking with them!

• Like 1

Thank you for the input guys.

I'll keep you in the loop as I build.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:36 PM, IcyTrooper said:

I think the part we are seeing is usually the ridge on the chest goes all the way to the neck, at least that is what I'm used to seeing with ROTJ TB's. The bicep stuff looks fine to me.

I think it is just hard to see in the picture or it isn't as defined. You can see the ridge all the way up, but I think it may start to flatten sooner than others. I've got a friend that is showing off his TB at a troop this weekend, I'll take it up and compare with him.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, after some time off, I'm back at this. I ordered my soft goods from CB Props. And I'm going to try and make my own boots based on the post from the pathfinder forum. https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/19708-biker-scout-boots-tutorial/#comment-178103

Just need to source the boots and marine vinyl. Hopefully some updated pictures coming soon.

• Like 2
On 1/21/2024 at 10:52 AM, Jsilvius said:

Okay, after some time off, I'm back at this. I ordered my soft goods from CB Props. And I'm going to try and make my own boots based on the post from the pathfinder forum. https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/19708-biker-scout-boots-tutorial/#comment-178103

Just need to source the boots and marine vinyl. Hopefully some updated pictures coming soon.

Boots…picked up my vinyl back then from Joann Fabrics.  Sourced the actual boot from KMart but they dont exist anymore do they lol?  WalMart used to have some decent ones on the cheap as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Jsilvius Only thing I notice is the pill shaped hole. References Ive seen (and my own greeblie) have an off-centered “cap” that has a rounded dome. My explanation is pretty bad lol…see pic.IMG_3946.thumb.jpeg.e2436ca8f3c11c988837ff8b8a4fe1bf.jpeg

IMG_3949.thumb.jpeg.eef9883f4c0e2149bf28821814bebc54.jpeg

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, RAIDER said:

@Jsilvius Only thing I notice is the pill shaped hole. References Ive seen (and my own greeblie) have an off-centered “cap” that has a rounded dome. My explanation is pretty bad lol…see pic.

I haven't added that yet. I was looking for it in the parts list and final found it. It is on the printer now.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jsilvius said:

I haven't added that yet. I was looking for it in the parts list and final found it. It is on the printer now.

Cool…when u finish it up, just remember no red line and pint rivet black…small differences from the standard scout 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I need to work the chest plate a bit more. It looks, okay. I started work on the back plate and one of the drop boxes.

embed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!94888&authkembed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!94887&authkembed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!94892&authkembed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!94895&authk

Waiting my soft goods to arrive. I'm hoping to have this all complete by March, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Getting there.  Yea the big thing w anything 3D printed is going to be those print lines.  They cannot be visible at all.  Chest they are definitely visible still.

Painting…just check around, some of these spots look like you may have drip that needs to be sanded. Then again, just triple check your print lines are not visible.

March…totally do-able!  You got this!IMG_3956.thumb.jpeg.1bcdc14a8156adfafd20412d3d65bad2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Ordered my soft goods from CB Props during his New Years sale.

They arrived yesterday and I think they look pretty good.

embed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!95846&authkembed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!95845&authk

Still need to attach the cod, and put something in the pouches to fill them.

Trooping GalaxyCon Richmond all weekend, so hopefully next weekend I can work on the armor.

Still looking to source boot and gloves. But getting closer.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 3:51 PM, Jsilvius said:

Ordered my soft goods from CB Props during his New Years sale.

They arrived yesterday and I think they look pretty good.

embed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!95846&authkembed?resid=5D3B3581576E818A!95845&authk

Still need to attach the cod, and put something in the pouches to fill them.

Trooping GalaxyCon Richmond all weekend, so hopefully next weekend I can work on the armor.

Still looking to source boot and gloves. But getting closer.

Great start to this thread. Hope you dont let it go and are able to push to finish. As a GML I will echo what others have said and tell you that with the major on come of 3D printing, we really scan and check for that when doing our judging. Make sure they are not visible at any angle. the hard part with black is getting things like that not to show up. I will also add, with your soft goods, that cummerbund needs to come up alot. remember, your belt will be worn around your waist, not your hips (like most people wear pants now). You are gonna want you cummerbund sitting about half way up your bicep as it will tuck under your chest plate. For me, I installed hook and loop, one on the back of the chest and one facing away from the body on the cummerbund to keep it in place. I also have a spot on my vest that matches the other side of the cummerbund to keep that in place lol. Its alot of extra to insure no movement but that can be done at any time. great thing with submission photos is you can readjust between takes. 

rule of thumb with 3d prints, if you think you are done, do one more round of Bondo, sand, paint. 

The boots are a lot easier than they look. I have built 4 sets of boots now. If you need anything please ask. Take you time. and read lots of builds about it. You can also message me if needed for further explanation if you dont want to ask here, but asking here helps not only yourself, but other shadow scouts looking for help. 

You got this man! keep us updated please!!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 11:24 AM, Gree23 said:

Great start to this thread. Hope you dont let it go and are able to push to finish. As a GML I will echo what others have said and tell you that with the major on come of 3D printing, we really scan and check for that when doing our judging. Make sure they are not visible at any angle. the hard part with black is getting things like that not to show up. I will also add, with your soft goods, that cummerbund needs to come up alot. remember, your belt will be worn around your waist, not your hips (like most people wear pants now). You are gonna want you cummerbund sitting about half way up your bicep as it will tuck under your chest plate. For me, I installed hook and loop, one on the back of the chest and one facing away from the body on the cummerbund to keep it in place. I also have a spot on my vest that matches the other side of the cummerbund to keep that in place lol. Its alot of extra to insure no movement but that can be done at any time. great thing with submission photos is you can readjust between takes. 

rule of thumb with 3d prints, if you think you are done, do one more round of Bondo, sand, paint. 

The boots are a lot easier than they look. I have built 4 sets of boots now. If you need anything please ask. Take you time. and read lots of builds about it. You can also message me if needed for further explanation if you dont want to ask here, but asking here helps not only yourself, but other shadow scouts looking for help. 

You got this man! keep us updated please!!!

Thanks Jordan! 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome! Something to point out. Those clips that hold the gloves together can sometimes be pointed out. Talk to your local GML about them and weither they want you to remove them or not.

• Like 2