therealtotty Death Trooper WIP

Hey Everyone!

I will do my best to keep this updated and will probably have a few questions, as this is my first build.

Helmet: Armory Props Shop (Russia) received

Armor: Armory Props Shop (Russia) received

Undersuit: Armory Props Shop (Russia) received

Pauldron: Armory Props Shop (Russia) received

Belt Pouches: Armory Props Shop (Russia) received

Gloves: Ender Finders received

Boots: IB "Killer" (HK) received

Belt: Armory Props Shop (Russia) received

Belt Pouch: Trooperbay (US) received

SE-14R holster: DarmonsProps (US) received

E-11D blaster: Imperial Arms (US) received

SE-14R blaster: Imperial Arms (US) received

DLT-19D blaster: Premier Props (US) considering

Helmet Audio System: researching

Helmet Cooling System: Henry's Helmet Fans (US) received

Chest Rig: researching

Shoulder Ammo Pouch: researching

Stormie: handmade

Tote: DEWALT Tough Chest 63 Gal: recieved

(Credit to @Lt. Dan for the list structure)

-Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Belt pouches are simple enough to make, otherwise in addition to the vendor list I found these https://trooperbay.com/rogue-one-death-trooper-black-canvas-ammo-3-pouch-set

The Imperial Boots are the way to go if I'm being honest, although their gloves aren't as great as Endor Finders I think as a starting point if you buy the IB package you're off to a good start.

@Chaos has a great chest rig guide here if you want to make your own

The MP40 ammo pouches are pretty easy to find on eBay, or we have a tutorial on how to make

All the blasters I got from Tom TDK Props

All the best with your build, take your time it's a massive task

• Like 2

@nanotek Thanks! I hadn't seen Endor Finders, so I will give them a look around. 

I read a few threads about strapping, and a few local DTs said they were willing to help. That's my next big research project.

As you know (from our past messages) I've been taking my sweet time haha. It's always the first time I do each step that I am super cautious. But the last few weeks have been the most productive that I've been in 2 years. Most of the armor is primed and sanded (repeatedly), ready for paint. 

-Michael

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

So I wanted to put this out there. @Chaos @nanotek @Lt. Dan and anyone else

I have been rockin' away with primer and puddy and sanding (everything but one stubborn leg are close to paint day). This morning, I am touching up my breastplate and I notice that my old kidney plate (that was a botched print) had been sitting in the sun (84 degrees outside ) for about an hour and was not shaped the same as it was when delivered.

What are the recommendations for a 3D print so that this experience doesn't happen while trooping. Do most of you use resin on the inside? Fiberglass lining? Or once it is finished with a clear coat, there shouldn't be any issues with that?

Thanks!

-Michael

2 hours ago, therealtotty said:

So I wanted to put this out there. @Chaos @nanotek @Lt. Dan and anyone else

I have been rockin' away with primer and puddy and sanding (everything but one stubborn leg are close to paint day). This morning, I am touching up my breastplate and I notice that my old kidney plate (that was a botched print) had been sitting in the sun (84 degrees outside ) for about an hour and was not shaped the same as it was when delivered.

What are the recommendations for a 3D print so that this experience doesn't happen while trooping. Do most of you use resin on the inside? Fiberglass lining? Or once it is finished with a clear coat, there shouldn't be any issues with that?

Thanks!

-Michael

I also had a number of parts warp in the sun while I was prepping towards paint. All I can say is when using any spray putty, do not leave in the sun - period!

I only applied Fibreglass to the areas that I thought needed it. Thighs, butt (I thought it would need reinforcement but it doesn’t really) ab, shoulders, etc 

I did apply Fibreglass resin to everything though, inside and out. I think i applied at least two coats to get a nice workable surface before filler/primer. Just have to be careful not to get runs, globs etc in the detail bits. I used a more expensive paint brush to do the detailed areas

1 minute ago, nanotek said:

I also had a number of parts warp in the sun while I was prepping towards paint. All I can say is when using any spray putty, do not leave in the sun - period!

I only applied Fibreglass to the areas that I thought needed it. Thighs, butt (I thought it would need reinforcement but it doesn’t really) ab, shoulders, etc 

I did apply Fibreglass resin to everything though, inside and out. I think i applied at least two coats to get a nice workable surface before filler/primer. Just have to be careful not to get runs, globs etc in the detail bits. I used a more expensive paint brush to do the detailed areas

Yeah, it is the only piece that has been in the sun. I used it for some testing since it was a bad print (was sent a new one) and I didn't really care about it.

I just want to make sure that I don't go out on a hot troop and and up a slime-trooper. I've already finished almost all of the exteriors with filler primer and/or puddy. So I can do the insides if you recommend it.

-Michael

2 hours ago, therealtotty said:

Yeah, it is the only piece that has been in the sun. I used it for some testing since it was a bad print (was sent a new one) and I didn't really care about it.

I just want to make sure that I don't go out on a hot troop and and up a slime-trooper. I've already finished almost all of the exteriors with filler primer and/or puddy. So I can do the insides if you recommend it.

-Michael

Once the armour is painted should be fine. I have trooped 40+ degree Celsius days in direct sunlight with no trouble other than I feel like I’m being microwaved

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh let's go have a look see in the Death Trooper parts vendor thread and see what we can find ......

Oh look! "Metal Parts" 

http://www.warmachinepaintball.com/death-trooper/

???? I had to do that, all the time and effort I put into that list and hardly anyone uses it.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@Chaos @nanotek @Lt. Dan I was looking at the back paint scheme on the CRL, and I wanted to follow up on it. In the picture for the back armor, the entire recess is flat black, but in the guide, only the deep recess has flat black marked. Is this just preference?

I studied the reference photos from the weathering guide and any others that I could find online.

-Michael

The color scheme guide is correct, photos of the armor depending on lighting, will give the look of a different sheen. Use the guide.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 10:36 AM, therealtotty said:

Thankful for all of your help this year! I cannot wait to be trooping!

I am still waiting on my helmet and belt so that I can finish strapping and have the base of the build finished. The upper body is good and fits nice! (I will get pics after the holiday)

-Michael

Hey Michael, I just placed my order for ASP armor last month. What did you decide on for strapping? 

On 12/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, MKE-Trooper said:

Hey Michael, I just placed my order for APS armor last month. What did you decide on for strapping? 

Hey @MKE-Trooper! So sorry about the late response. 

I have found that most everything on the upper body can be attached to my ASP undersuit or to the chest/back plates. The midsection and thighs are going to mostly be attached to the belt and have snaps on the upper body to secure the placement. The shins just sit on top of the shoes. I haven't had any issues so far and had multiple upper body suit-ups.

I hope that helps!

-Michael

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...