850 Thigh Armor Question

I’ve acquired a set of 850 DT armor, and I’m a bit confused about the thigh design. At the knee end of the thighs, there are free-floating bits that I don’t see on other kits. Does anyone have experience with this, and is it acceptable?

8B09E6A9-777A-4988-B46A-D1FCD80F9210.jpeg

E6D65942-72E5-485B-859E-8A948C1973EC.jpeg

Hello, Todd! Yeah that is an interesting design that is for sure, I'm wondering if that was one of the first run 850 DTs that is out there. That gasket should go all the way down and if I remember right those should be solid all the way around. @nanotek and @Chaos?

Thanks, Icy. It is indeed one of the early 850s. Thanks for confirming about the gasket length. I’m also thinking that I need to add cover strips as this one has them built in overlap-style as opposed to butt-join. 

• Like 1

I'm not overly familiar with this piece of kit, but yes the ribbed gasket material should extend the whole gap, but also (and I just realised it's not expressly stated in the CRL text) but the rib size should be about 5-6mm like the rest of the gaskets.

Interesting how whoever built it, left the opening free-floating, (and again it's not expressly stated in the CRL text, but it is in the pics) it should probably be closed up/glued if possible. What is the alignment like? If it cannot be done I do not think it will be a major issue as long as it still looks the part (no discernible gaps).

@Chaos any thoughts?

• Like 1

I think I can close up the legs, and I plan on replacing the ribbing so that it extends the length of the thighs. I’ve really been trying to make sense of what the thigh should look like. I think I’m getting the picture now. The CRL photos are making more sense with this context as well. 

• Like 1

I'll send another reply later this evening when I get back from work. Yep, the early version of the 850 kits caused a few building issues for some folks. I'll try and remember who had one of those kits and see if they posted anything about modifying it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'll send another reply later this evening when I get back from work. Yep, the early version of the 850 kits caused a few building issues for some folks. I'll try and remember who had one of those kits and see if they posted anything about modifying it.

That’s terrific. Thanks @Chaos

• Like 1

@wook1138 thanks!  That’s a really valuable build thread and really helps me understand what I need to do with this ol’ kit. 

• Like 3

Apologies for taking longer than expected to upload a photo but work took up more time than I had anticipated. Explanations are on the photo. Hope this helps as well.

Thigh construction.png

• Thanks 1