What are my best options for a Finished kit

I am really interested in becoming a member of the 501st and rocking some Death Trooper Armor in my local Wisconsin Garrison. After doing some research I am a bit overwhelmed. I would really like to purchase a finished kit as I don't have the tools, space or desire to start with a raw kit my first time around.

Looking through the forums it looks like I have 3 options. 

3D printed from ASP - https://www.armoryshopprops.com/shop/death-trooper/death-trooper-armor-rogue-one-finished/

ABS Plastic from 850 Armor Works - https://850armorworks.com/Death-Trooper-p371298553

Fiberglass from Plastic Arms Dealer -  https://plasticarmsdealer.com/collections/death-troopers/products/finished-death-trooper-armor-and-helmet-v2-custom-fit-and-painted-with-straps

I am leaning towards the 3d Printed finished kit from Amory Shop Props as I understand that the level of detail of 3D printing is better than what vacuum formed ABS can do for the Death Trooper.  My concern is that it sounds like even with purchasing a finished kit from ASP, I would still need to reinforce the inside of the armor with fibreglass lamination / epoxy resin? 

Not trying to be lazy, just more of a perfectionist and would rather buy something finished rather than trying to figure it out and wasting months in the process. Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Nick,
Welcome. So as a person that went the same route as you're looking into (finished ASP for all my armor plates) I'll say this, fiber glassing the the backing on my parts I felt needed it was one of the quicker steps in my build. The strapping process took much longer and there really isn't a way to have that done before its in your hands.

That said its fairly easy. Its really as simple as cutting the sheets to shape, mixing the resin, and painting it on and being careful to not have it drip on to the finish. All told it took a few hours, and when its 45min to suit up, thats not bad at all.

Hope you stick with it which ever way you go, Death Trooper is a complex kit to but its quiet rewarding to have it on and stride out with it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Diet_Evil said:

Hey Nick,
Welcome. So as a person that went the same route as you're looking into (finished ASP for all my armor plates) I'll say this, fiber glassing the the backing on my parts I felt needed it was one of the quicker steps in my build. The strapping process took much longer and there really isn't a way to have that done before its in your hands.

That said its fairly easy. Its really as simple as cutting the sheets to shape, mixing the resin, and painting it on and being careful to not have it drip on to the finish. All told it took a few hours, and when its 45min to suit up, thats not bad at all.

Hope you stick with it which ever way you go, Death Trooper is a complex kit to but its quiet rewarding to have it on and stride out with it.

Thank you very much Ken! Really appreciate your feedback. I think I am going to pull the trigger and order from ASP today or tomorrow so I can get in their queue. 

@Diet_Evil It looks like the straps are not included in the ASP kits and I don't see straps listed in the "Death Trooper Parts Vendors as of: 25 Feb 2020" pinned post.  Where did you get yours? 

18 hours ago, MKE-Trooper said:

@Diet_Evil It looks like the straps are not included in the ASP kits and I don't see straps listed in the "Death Trooper Parts Vendors as of: 25 Feb 2020" pinned post.  Where did you get yours? 

I went online and purchased nylon webbing. I used almost exclusively 1 inch but I probably should have used some wider bits for the suspenders on my torso.

In terms of how much, its hard to say as Im pretty sure no two 501st death troopers are strapped the same ?. Certainly browse the forums and figure out the broad strokes of how to keep it on you. Some combination of velcro, "parachute clips", rivets, and snaps should work for you though.

• Like 1