Is OOO in my future?????

BigJasoni

Hey all,
Yesterday I looked over at my 3D printer station and realized that I had about 8 "remnant rolls" of filament. You know, when you only have about 150g left on a spool and take it off the printer before bed... yeah, a bunch of those. So, I decided to print a C3-PO head just for fun.

I sent a picture of it to my friend and he said "oh. Now you can join the Rebel Legion." Now, no offense to any of my fellow Legion members who dabble a bit with our Rebel cousins, but the thought of this kind of made me sick. However, being a loyal member of the Spec Ops detachment, with another costume coming in the next couple months, I thought "what about 000?"

However, I'm not exactly Anthony Daniels or Gordon Tarpley here. I am 6' and anywhere between 185-190 lbs. depending on what I had for dinner. So, what I want to know is:

Are there any examples of bigger guys dressed as 000?

I saw @Allan1313's build where he opened by saying that he's 6'2" 195 lbs, so I know it's possible, but other than the 3 builds on the forum, do we have pictures of anybody out there in the wild? The 501st Holocron only shows 2 approved, so I'd love to know.

For now, I'll continue working on my Deathtrooper, but I'm a little curious about this costume.

• Like 3

There aren't many out there period. You already found mine haha. It's certainly doable. It's not for the faint of heart. Movement and vision are very limited, but it sure looks badass ?

No available "kits" fit bigger guys, but you have that 3d printer so you can size it up to fit you.

Here I am out in the wild with an R2 (currently working on my BT-1 to complete the torture duo).

spacer.png

• Like 2

@BigJasoni Only 2 approved. Allan is one…and then Christian is the other. He used to be in my garrison (and I think is returning from Japan).  He is much shorter than Allan…maybe 5’5” and a very slim frame.

Ive seen one other tho I dont think approved.  Not sure if it is the guy I have on FB who wears it or his daughter.  Anyways…heres Christian and I

image.jpeg

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Allan1313 said:

There aren't many out there period. You already found mine haha. It's certainly doable. It's not for the faint of heart. Movement and vision are very limited, but it sure looks badass ?

No available "kits" fit bigger guys, but you have that 3d printer so you can size it up to fit you.

Here I am out in the wild with an R2 (currently working on my BT-1 to complete the torture duo).

spacer.png

Allan,
Thanks for the quick reply.
So I just tried on the head I printed and it'll definitely need to be scaled up a little bit. Lol. Of course, I was just printing this one for fun. So, I guess the question for you is, what did you scale everything up to. This definitely sounds like a job for Armorsmith, but I'm just trying to get a good estimate.

Also, I watched Gordon Tarpley's suit up video but am curious how it is for you to get dressed? Also, how has the kit held up? I saw that you sliced it into several parts, but if I do this, I'm printing everything in big pieces on my CR-10 Max. Has it broken apart at all?

27 minutes ago, RAIDER said:

@BigJasoni Only 2 approved. Allan is one…and then Christian is the other. He used to be in my garrison (and I think is returning from Japan).  He is much shorter than Allan…maybe 5’5” and a very slim frame.

Ive seen one other tho I dont think approved.  Not sure if it is the guy I have on FB who wears it or his daughter.  Anyways…heres Christian and I

image.jpeg

David,
That's a great picture. I'll search around a little bit, but I am glad to hear there may be more out there.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, RAIDER said:

image.jpeg

Yeah that 3rd one is Mike Hinton's daughter, she is small as well. Way closer to Anthony Daniels size than me haha

He is a great dude and made me this shirt!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
On 7/9/2022 at 9:01 PM, BigJasoni said:

Allan,
Thanks for the quick reply.
So I just tried on the head I printed and it'll definitely need to be scaled up a little bit. Lol. Of course, I was just printing this one for fun. So, I guess the question for you is, what did you scale everything up to. This definitely sounds like a job for Armorsmith, but I'm just trying to get a good estimate.

Also, I watched Gordon Tarpley's suit up video but am curious how it is for you to get dressed? Also, how has the kit held up? I saw that you sliced it into several parts, but if I do this, I'm printing everything in big pieces on my CR-10 Max. Has it broken apart at all?

David,
That's a great picture. I'll search around a little bit, but I am glad to hear there may be more out there.

The scaling process was a lot of trial and error for me. It wasn't a strict upsizing by percentage. I needed more height than girth. Some things were scaled slightly larger than others. Armorsmith will certainly help you. 

It takes a team to get me in there and it's at least a 45 minute ordeal haha. I haven't done it a ton so I am sure if I did it more we could get it done a bit faster. I need at least 2 other people to help me get in it. 

Single pieces would certainly be better.  It has held up for the most part except for the front of the shorts, but that was due more to a bad print that had poor layer adhesion than the pieces together. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Allan1313 said:

Yeah that 3rd one is Mike Hinton's daughter, she is small as well. Way closer to Anthony Daniels size than me haha

He is a great dude and made me this shirt!

spacer.png

spacer.png

13 hours ago, Allan1313 said:

The scaling process was a lot of trial and error for me. It wasn't a strict upsizing by percentage. I needed more height than girth. Some things were scaled slightly larger than others. Armorsmith will certainly help you. 

Single pieces would certainly be better.  It has held up for the most part except for the front of the shorts, but that was due more to a bad print that had poor layer adhesion than the pieces together. 

That shirt is great. I love it.
I started playing around with the files in Armorsmith and was getting some crazy results. I was scaling the chest and back to 110% in the X and Y axis, but 120 in the Z. This didn't seem right at all, but my avatar in armorsmith also doesn't look right, so I may have to go get resized if I want to put this together.
I'll play around with it a little more, but I'm not sure how this is going to work.
Oh yeah. The helmet I printed is pretty cool. I was just doing it for something to put on my shelf, but I really like it. However, 100% probably isn't going to work on that one either; it was real tight on the top of my head if that makes sense.

• Like 2
On 7/11/2022 at 2:35 PM, Allan1313 said:

It may seem strange but mine were some weird numbers like that as well. It was not consistent in the 3 axis. 

Ok, that helps. I do need to go get properly measured though; my Armorsmith avatar is shaped like Brock Lesnar, but I'm definitely a larger distance runner. I have a feeling this is why I'm making extra weird adjustments.
Thanks again for the assistance

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Sooooo..... I decided to revive my dead 000 thread, because why not. 😆

A couple nights ago, I was reading through @Dishrack's build and saw a post I left which today is exactly 2 years to the day old. Funny how that works. At the time, I commented on how much I loved watching the 000 builds come together, but also read the part where I said:

On 9/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, BigJasoni said:

Maybe if I lose another 30lbs I can do one that looks somewhat presentable.

Well, since then I've taken up Ultrarunning and am down 40 lbs. So here we go.

GZU4Z1A.jpg

VuTxn4B.jpg

So back in 2021, I had printed a face at 100% in PETG. While there's really nothing wrong with PETG, the print had a lot of visible lines, one awkward layer shift and it just seemed very small. After speaking with a few others who had printed their kits, it seemed like many had experienced the same thing with their head files. I had already accepted that the rest of this suit was going to have to be scaled in weird proportions, but this is the first time I've had to do that with any kind of head "armor." Regardless, I printed this new one at 105% and it's perfect.

I also decided to reach for the Carbon Fiber PLA, which I've spoken about in other write ups, but I just can't justify using anything else right now. I know the letters P L A are still in the name, but if you haven't tried this stuff yet, I encourage everyone involved with the 3D printing hobby to throw away all your filament and go buy some immediately. I've conducted several stress tests with the stuff and I can confirm that it prints much smoother than most other options, it's heat resistant (I've tested it in 110 degree weather) and it sands very smooth. This one has a couple lines in it as well as some serious stringing, but that's likely because of the environmental changes we've been experiencing out here in Virginia that have worked their way into my basement. I'll make some adjustments and carry on.

Now, with all that said, I've got a couple questions I need to throw out to the community, so here we go:

1. I'm looking through my files and cant find the circle greeblie for the back of the head. Anyone know what the deal is with this, or have a file they can direct me to?

2. For the shoulders, level two requires the rings to spin on a "bearing type system," but looking through the build threads, I see @Dishrack and  @Allan1313's shoulder rings, but even though the files are called "Shoulder_Bearing_Version_2," I don't understand how this works. Can someone explain this to me. 

3. For the abdomen, for level 2, it's supposed to be made of rubber, which the CRL doesn't appear to be, but has there ever been discussion regarding to the closure? I assume Velcro, as seen in the CRL photo is acceptable, but what's most appropriate? I did see Allan's so I think I'll emulate that style. Also, regarding the "gray, dark gray, or black wires," there doesn't seem to be any solid consensus on how these are supposed to be laid out. What do our reference photos show?

4. For the Biceps and Forearms, the "Inner and outer pistons have working articulation." What have people used for this? My guess is that we get light duty struts and put a cover over them. Seeing that the mounts are 3D printed, I'm a little nervous of them breaking off. Has anyone attempted this yet? I can't tell from the build threads.

5. I saw Gordon Tarpley's rubber shorts. Is anyone making anything similar available for purchase?

6. @Dishrack: Jon... are you selling rubber shoes? 😆 Those are so cool.

Anyways, I'm going to get back to work on my Ferrix trooper and hopefully we can get that CRL finalized soon. But, for this, if you guys can answer a couple of my questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Hey mate, great to see you're back looking at this. I've not updated my thread for months but really should get around to it.

For the pistons, I tried using the ones from the jesse_m files but without being able to get the inside super smooth, things kept catching. I ended up buying an aluminium tube and rod and then printing the rings to go on the outside. I'll get some pictures and post it when I can. 

The shoulder bearings were a PITA too but did manage to make some based on this design on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4875708 - I had to mod it a fair bit to get it to work though but I was happy enough until I broke it..need to print more of those 😅

No plans to sell the rubber feet as it costs a small fortune to make them and they're not good enough to sell in my opinion. I need to go back to the drawing board on these. The idea is there but my execution was trial and error.

Be careful with the rubber shorts as the CRL requires them to be made from a hard material (even though C3PO only had hard shorts in ep.IV and rubber in every movie after that but we're not really building C3PO, are we ;)). I've been experimenting with casting them in a rigid polyurethane - same material old car bumper bars were made from. It's hard to the touch, but impact resistant. Kinda makes me want to go back and cast the whole costume the same way for longevity. 

Again, I must get around to taking some more photos and updating my build thread. Thanks for the nudge :) 

• Like 1

Jon,

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into all of these. I will say that I stumbled into the C3PO build group yesterday and was amazed at some of the things that are out there. The brass pistons and sliders made me want some.

10 hours ago, Dishrack said:

I've been experimenting with casting them in a rigid polyurethane - same material old car bumper bars were made from. It's hard to the touch, but impact resistant. Kinda makes me want to go back and cast the whole costume the same way for longevity. 

And this is where I'm tempted to get a little crazy. I've been casting a lot of my own parts recently and was thinking about doing something similar for this one. I might get started on my own and start posting pics. If you start working on these, I'd be interested in seeing the progress. For now, I may just start by making molds for the pistons and a few greeblies. I saw the ones Gordon made and they looked pretty good, so that might be a good start.

Thanks again for the help

• Like 2

Good to see you back. My shoulders are static. I have thought about going for a spinning/bearing option, but then I put on a little weight and can't even fit in currently haha

I was never able to find option that I thought was worth it yet as there was other projects happening. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Ok, no update in a long time, but I’ve actually started working on this beast, so hear we go.

First, thanks to everyone who’s offered any advice on this. I really don’t have a lot, but I did smooth out the face and get it coated with some sandable primer. Additionally, I was working on some Mando stuff this weekend, so while the airbrush was full, I sprayed the eyes with some alumaluster. Again, not a lot, but here’s my official start:

ppvj6t2.jpg

I’ll get it glossy and finish the rear after I return from Batuu next week. Again, not much, but at least I’m starting.

• Like 3