Jump to content

Dark Trooper - Generation 3 - Mandalorian - CRL Discussion


Recommended Posts

Let's start a discussion around this character towards building a case for the inclusion as a new costume in the CRL.

I think in general due to the use of CGI in the majority of the previously found references this costume was not going to move ahead, it is unclear if there was an official decision, but from my understanding this was the case. As seen in the reference pics, actors were wearing grey gloves etc that were later touched up in the CGI process.

Given that we have new information in the form of a displayed costume at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2022, we may be able to make a good case for it now.

I am keen to understand if there was also any evidence showing that the display version was used in any scenes or if there is any additional info about this costume that was on display. Was there any text explanation to go with the display?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, nanotek said:

Let's start a discussion around this character towards building a case for the inclusion as a new costume in the CRL.

I think in general due to the use of CGI in the majority of the previously found references this costume was not going to move ahead, it is unclear if there was an official decision, but from my understanding this was the case. As seen in the reference pics, actors were wearing grey gloves etc that were later touched up in the CGI process.

Given that we have new information in the form of a displayed costume at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim 2022, we may be able to make a good case for it now.

I am keen to understand if there was also any evidence showing that the display version was used in any scenes or if there is any additional info about this costume that was on display. Was there any text explanation to go with the display?

The only text was a white placard "Dark trooper".  I believe this one is the stunt suit or one of the ones along the wall when that officer went and talked to Gideon where the Dark Troopers were behind him and their first appearance.  Underneath the gaskets, you see the black mannequin where one would see the Grey suit normally, but a black one might make look it better.  I do know everything in that exhibit room has been seen on screen.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Trachta said:

Also found one of the final concept pictures made before production with vertical gaskets in mind. 

r9JH5hy.png

I was wondering how soon can an appeal be sent to the LMOs?

 

Concept art although helpful, generally won't make an argument towards inclusion into the CRL. It will come down to why we think it should now be considered. Previously the inclusion was rejected due to references we of the actors not wearing a full costume, that certain elements like hands etc were all added in via post production using CGI, therefore could not be a wearable costume.

However, we have now seen the Celebration display which looks like a full wearable costume which I think is a good case for moving forward. I'm not sure if this is enough to fully seal the deal so am asking for extra resources like; do we have evidence that this suit was used? Do we have anyone who has contacted the actors to answer these questions? The more information we have the better so while making the case to the LMO team doesn't take much time, I would still like to make sure we have done our homework properly before submitting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, nanotek said:

Concept art although helpful, generally won't make an argument towards inclusion into the CRL. It will come down to why we think it should now be considered. Previously the inclusion was rejected due to references we of the actors not wearing a full costume, that certain elements like hands etc were all added in via post production using CGI, therefore could not be a wearable costume.

However, we have now seen the Celebration display which looks like a full wearable costume which I think is a good case for moving forward. I'm not sure if this is enough to fully seal the deal so am asking for extra resources like; do we have evidence that this suit was used? Do we have anyone who has contacted the actors to answer these questions? The more information we have the better so while making the case to the LMO team doesn't take much time, I would still like to make sure we have done our homework properly before submitting.

I, unfortunately, haven't been able to find set photos of them wearing the gaskets, though I did find a never before seen Dark Trooper pre-CGI photo from a VFX reel:

EbEnkYt.jpg

Also in this video from the Lucasfilm Showcase panel at Star Wars celebration (8:39), Jon Favreau says that everything came from the Mandalorian storage, sets, and archive, so that could at least add credibility that they did exist on set and were not added on as a part of the exhibit right?  Also, after viewing the Hybrid VFX videos, they handled all the Dark Trooper CGI shots, one of them that was absent was the Dark trooper grabbing Grogu.  I believe the hands we see on the Exhibit were close-ups used to physically grab Grogu in front of the camera. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another approach could be to get a custom printed morph suit to fill in the joints.  As established in the photos, the joints are almost exactly the same size as their human counter part.

An example of how detailed one could get with these ( example image). They also are not that expensive to produce either. 

qMacH6Z.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment

As I start my two day weekend, I have begun looking at the Droid files Nikko Industries made as examples as to how the hell I am going to attempt to 3D model my own pieces. (I have lots of coffee and aspirin on hand LOL)

I think we can argue that even though they used CGI on a lot of the joints and abdomen areas, that it is probably safe to assume that they also constructed wearable joints and abdomen areas for some of the quick shot scenes such as the hands grabbing Grogu scene @Trachta mentioned, AND that the suit we have seen at the SWC Mandalorian Exhibit is viable as wearable since Jon Favreau even said they were screen used props and costumes in the exhibit. There are enough photos of the SWC suit, and good resolution screen grabs that we have references for almost 98%of the costume. LOL wish we had a close up of the bottom of the feet, that would take us to 99%.

Since there are Legion costumes that exists now that some "creative and logical assumptions" were made on the construction for some characters in comics and games, I don't think it would be too difficult to apply that same assumption and thought process to the joints and abdomen areas for this costume. After all, the overall intent of creating a costume is to present the character so that the average person who has seen a movie, comic book, or game will immediately recognize the character.

I will tell you right now, this costume will have to be a built with a combination of materials and techniques.

I am going to start a Pre-Build thread where I will throw ideas around comparing screen CGI and SWC pieces and parts in an attempt to narrow down just how this costume can be produced easily and still retain the enough authenticity to meet the Legions intent on CRL requirements.

I have no clue why I always lean towards the most difficult costumes to build.

Wish me luck .... I am going to need it!

PS. At the same time I am also printing Nikko's Droid files which eventually I plan on making a display statue. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Trachta said:

Another approach could be to get a custom printed morph suit to fill in the joints.

Good idea, I was also thinking it would not be hard to 3D model the SWC joints and then print them in a PTU such as Ninja Flex and wear them much like the gaskets of the newer armor suits.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 5 months later...

Hallo

My name is Andreas and I come from Germany.

Ive been tinkering with my Dark Trooper project for over a year now.

Now an acquaintance has brought me to look here on your website to see if there are more crazy people trying this and perhaps change informations and thinks.

So the first thing I did was build a complete one out of cardboard to see if it was portable and how.

Then I look a Hasbro doll and measured it completely and converted it to 1 : 1 in order to then create construction drawings.

The goal is to pull the Dark Trooper completely vacuum deep, without same spezial thinks.

Now I come to my own question, is there already CRL´s ?

Or will there be any at all ?

King regards

 

Andreas from Germany

Link to comment

@Andreas Funk

Impressive work!

To answer your question about a CRL, no has been even started yet. I don't know if there are any others besides you and I that are doing any work on creating a set of armor.

I am using concepts from Nikko Industries' statue file rendering and screen shots to 3D model my pieces.

The biggest hurdle to creating any CRL is to have plenty of reference photos. I think we have all that we need to start building a CRL.

The next step is being able to create the pieces so that when they are worn, they will resemble what we see on screen accurately enough to gain approval from the 501st Legion Staff.

That is where we are at right now.

I have not started any CRL wording yet as I have only been working on my files in between work and life.

It looks like with your work and enthusiasm that we may be able to start working on a draft CRL. 

I'll keep you posted as things transpire. 

If you have the time I'd like for you to start your own WIP (work in progress) build thread so that all your ideas and photos can be captured in a single thread. 

This is going to be a long but fun process, thank you for joining the journey. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.