Chaos' Dark Trooper Gen 3 CRL Development and Pre-Build Thread

Well it has been a while since I have posted anything. I can't tell you how many times I have modified the hands and fingers, seems like each time I get what I think is accurate .... BOOM! I find some small detail I missed before. I have a long weekend so I hope I can draft print off my latest modifications and fit test them. I have also been heavily modifying the statue files I got from Nico last year, which has involved making them more screen accurate and "wearable" so as I work on a section I will throw it in Armorsmith to see how it'll look on my avatar. This is what I did today. Its no where near done but hopefully with my long weekend coming up I can at least nail down some of the less detailed pieces. 

1292013778_Screenshot(507).thumb.png.48a2682c22dcf40e2277147046b01beb.png

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

I think the hands are done. I have printed a few test pieces and assembled them. They are designed to be worn/attached to a pair of black nomex pilot's gloves. I'm working on the wrist joint and a piece that will connect the wrist with the hands. Not quite there with it yet.

Take a look and criticize the heck out of the hands please. I am using screen shot CG'd hands as references and not the Mandalorian Exhibition stunt hands, so please don't reference any of those photos. 

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after an epic failure of my printer and a successful contribution to the birds for a nest,

20230618_153121.thumb.jpg.7acbe0307c00e5f3eb74585df443f6f9.jpg

I was able to finish printing, UV resin smooth, and paint all the finger joints.

20230707_175526.thumb.jpg.77aefe081c3302d448ba61aff9abc796.jpg

I printed and UV resin smoothed the back hand plate pieces, I will paint these tonight after they dry from washing away any dust and debris.

20230707_175632.thumb.jpg.f4b98aae2ffca8bfff54653dae317cee.jpg

The palm plates are printing now, so hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have at least one hand assembled, then I can move on to sizing the wrist joint and forearm attachment. I think I am going to make all the wrist and elbow joints quick disconnects, I haven't quite figured that out yet, but I am leaning towards neodymium magnets with "pins" to help with lateral shearing.  

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

After attempting to make Nikko's statue files "wearable" I opted to buy his armor files as well and have been modifying them slightly to match up with the CGI screen suits. I'll probably use the statue files to build a display piece for Cons. Nikko did a good job of replicating the 1/6th scale, but I will have to change a few minor things to align with the screen suits. I had previously made the changes to the statue files so it shouldn't take me too long to make the mods.

I have already mod'd Do3D's helmet slightly and added a few missing items (correct number of vent slots, etc). The screen helmets have two "knobs" on the bottom section each side of the voice coder. I have seen helmets that don't have them or have 4 "knobs" (not sure where that came from?) I did add a backing piece to it after @HidingInCosplay mentioned her's snapped off. I also added some small indentations on the eyes and forehead that were on the screen helmets. All in all Do3D did a great job modeling the helmet.

NUBDNPs.png

gAWHTF1.png

After looking at Nikko's files and how he replicated the joint gears/circles I am going back to the drawing board to try and incorporate the CGI mods I made to work with his files. That's today's project. I'll post up when I have a solution.

As usual, if anyone sees anything I missed on the helmet, please shout out.

• Like 2