Death trooper metallic parts questions

Hello Spec Ops,

I’m a GML and wanted some thoughts from detatchment on the metallic parts in a submission to see if they need to have a paint touch up or if they are okay as is.

https://imgur.com/a/KrPUcQw

Mainly it looks like the paint is more flat grey than metallic in appearance and might also need some touch up on the quality. From there we also see that the buckle should look more brushed aluminum and the same thought process applies here where it looks kind of grey.

Last question is kind of on the boots the rectangular cover looks rather large on the boots, now I know that the CRL only indicates sizing matters for level 2 so before we say anything on it wanted to run it by detachment in a focusing on level one only manner.

Thanks in advance!

The paint looks fine in terms of the overall level of metallic.  I don’t think it looks flat grey. With that being said I definitely think it’s way too rough of an application, even to be considered weathering.  Definitely needs to be cleaned up a bit.  Here’s a couple photos for reference.  One is the screen used suit buckles, the other is my personal suit.  Both have a fair bit of black grunge on them, but the shapes and edges are well defined.

The boot covers look alright.  If they aren’t stuck down securely I’d imagine they would have a tendency to look just like this if they flared out away from the boot too much.

The LED in the spectra sensor definitely should not stick out that far.  When I get home I will pull mine out and take a close up of how the bulb should sit.  It also isn’t located in the correct location on the sensor.  Overall paint app on the helmet is a little rough as well.

9E2BA745-28E7-41EA-9848-D6C80DB9F430.jpeg

D62A25C6-56A2-4231-8515-BC98C54284BD.jpeg

• Like 2
On 11/20/2022 at 12:07 AM, lancer said:

The paint looks fine in terms of the overall level of metallic.  I don’t think it looks flat grey. With that being said I definitely think it’s way too rough of an application, even to be considered weathering.  Definitely needs to be cleaned up a bit.

Totally agree with Lance! The paint is ok, but the quality of execution is creepy. Especially the buckles don´t look weathered. They look like they've been tinkered with. There should be a sharp edge between buckle and D-ring. I would recommend to sand that area to remove the excessive glue. Also the excess paint on the side rubber straps should be removed. With that said, according to the CRL, the side straps must have "a smooth trapezoid shape at the top end". When I´m right he has used cut shoulder straps, which is not correct.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, FN1313 said:

.....on the boots the rectangular cover looks rather large on the boots.....

He can use a thin metallic wire attached to the inside of the covers or velcro at the ends to give more shape to the covers. This way they lay flat against the boots and don't look so bulky.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:07 AM, lancer said:

It also isn’t located in the correct location on the sensor.

Lance is right. The LED bulb sits to the front under emitter slot in the upper left corner and definetely shouldn´t stuck out that far! Please refer to the CRL: https://databank.501st.com/databank/File:Tx_imperial_death_trooper_neurosaav.jpg

There is also a problem with the helmet. The vent slots on the side panels are enclosed. Belonging to the CRL they have to be "cut out and lined with steel small mesh and backed with black material", also "The side panels are slightly weathered with matte black paint." On the submission pics they are completely light silver in apperance which isn´t correct. The overall paint job is, lets say "rough", and should be improved with a little more love to the details.

Kyle, I hope this helps for the beginning!

• Like 1

@FN1313

Kyle,

Thank you for reaching out to the Detachment. As one of the DCAs and also a DT I'll take a look in the morning and also chime in. I'll do it as quickly as I can.

You can also book mark a subforum over on the Legion site that GMLs can post up these types of questions. It's monitored by the Detachment Staff and our DCAs. As a GML you should have access to it. 

https://www.501st.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=267

Thank you again for what you do for your Garrison, without you, the Legion couldn't exist.

• Like 1

@FN1313

Kyle,

I just took a quick look. Please do not approve this submission yet. There are quite a few CRL basic approval issues. 

Also it might be helpful if we could get a look at all his submission photos. I'm seeing a mixture of Version 1 and incomplete Version 2 items.

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

@FN1313

Kyle,

I just took a quick look. Please do not approve this submission yet. There are quite a few CRL basic approval issues. 

Also it might be helpful if we could get a look at all his submission photos. I'm seeing a mixture of Version 1 and incomplete Version 2 items.

Thanks again.

I will send over a link. I wanted to ask as well because I didn’t know if it was me being too picky or if it really did need some adjustments.

Yeah I sometimes don’t get answers from the 501st page so I like to go to detachments first.

Standby for the link. Thanks again.

• Like 1

@FN1313

Kyle,

Work hindered me completing my assessment today, however I am done with the helmet down to the belt. I hope to finish it up tomorrow. If I wasn't scheduled to fly tomorrow I would stay up late and complete it tonight but the FAA has an issue with pilot's not getting enough sleep before taking off. :laugh1:

Thank you for your patience and that of your Trooper.

• Like 1

@FN1313

Kyle,

I was able to finish up your request. You can share this with anyone you wish. Please let me know if you or your Trooper have any questions. Thank you again for what you do for the Legion.

Alpine Garrision DT Request.pdf

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

@FN1313

Kyle,

I was able to finish up your request. You can share this with anyone you wish. Please let me know if you or your Trooper have any questions. Thank you again for what you do for the Legion.

Alpine Garrision DT Request.pdf 2.57 MB · 1 download

@Chaos Thanks for your time and assistance in this matter. You hit on basically the same things that I was thinking of, but I am glad to have the confirmation and more attentive eyes in the matter. I will follow up with our trooper.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2022 at 4:02 AM, FN1313 said:

I will send over a link. I wanted to ask as well because I didn’t know if it was me being too picky or if it really did need some adjustments.

Yeah I sometimes don’t get answers from the 501st page so I like to go to detachments first.

Standby for the link. Thanks again.

I just wanted to respond to this comment, our team are very responsive in the GML section of the main legion forums, so either will suffice :) If you are finding you are not getting timely responses from the detachments there I would raise this with the LMO team so they can follow up with the relevant detachments

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I bought this exact armor and am now working to get the paint cleaned up/sand things down and repaint. Coming across a few issues I'm not sure how to resolve, and one specific thing I'm confused about (the trapezoid that's supposed to be on the top end of the lower side buckles). But I can make a new forum topic for that this weekend if y'all don't want to respond here. New to the 501st forums and this will be my first trooper, so any and all guidance is always appreciated lol. Thank you so much.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Elora said:

Hi all, I bought this exact armor and am now working to get the paint cleaned up/sand things down and repaint. Coming across a few issues I'm not sure how to resolve, and one specific thing I'm confused about (the trapezoid that's supposed to be on the top end of the lower side buckles). But I can make a new forum topic for that this weekend if y'all don't want to respond here. New to the 501st forums and this will be my first trooper, so any and all guidance is always appreciated lol. Thank you so much.

Probably best if you start a new thread, it makes it easier to search for in the future and provide you needed feed back.