Tips for painting

I currently have a waltz black ABS scout kit. I actually want to do it and make it flat black or a satin. In order to do this should I scuff off the gloss that is naturally already on the ABS? Trying to figure out a good way to start because I need to do it in order to get it ready for straps but I don't want to do it wrong cuz replacements are expensive and I don't have a whole lot of money at the moment.

Any steps or hints would be very greatly appreciated. I've never converted a piece that's naturally glossy to a matte or satin finish.  I was going to coat with a satin clear coat but I didn't know if that would be enough to take the shine off of the gloss by itself.

22 hours ago, Gundark said:

I currently have a waltz black ABS scout kit. I actually want to do it and make it flat black or a satin. In order to do this should I scuff off the gloss that is naturally already on the ABS? Trying to figure out a good way to start because I need to do it in order to get it ready for straps but I don't want to do it wrong cuz replacements are expensive and I don't have a whole lot of money at the moment.

Any steps or hints would be very greatly appreciated. I've never converted a piece that's naturally glossy to a matte or satin finish.  I was going to coat with a satin clear coat but I didn't know if that would be enough to take the shine off of the gloss by itself.

I can't remember if WTF kits are acrylic capped ABS to give it the gloss, but I know that some kits out there are. Either way, in order to promote adhesion of the primer you'll at least want to clean it up with soap/water or mineral spirits (make sure stuff DOES NOT have acetone in it) and then scuff it with some real high grit sand paper either dry or wet. After the primer is set then you can do the actual color spray on it to give it the satin or matte finish.

Personally, I converted an all white Anovos stormtrooper over to an Incinerator Trooper with the red stripes and I did not prime underneath it and so far the paint is sticking. I did, however, clean it up very well to ensure that it stuck. The kit was also very worn so the surface was already a bit rough through natural wear.

• Like 1