entering the red zone...

hello all, this is kinda a greeting and looking for insperation on becoming a magma trooper... i have been in the 501st for almost a year now and i want to try something new... i have been researching, and best concept so far is to have a 'red' plastic pulled instead of painting it... i have been talking to ATA, who i purchased my TK kit from, to use some red gloss hipps to make me a magma... so two questions at this point, does anyone know of a local supplier, in the U.S.A., that has gloss red hipps sheets? and secondly, how or with what product would be best to color some boots?

Hey ya! Honestly, I've never seen gloss hips, though if you can find red HIPS at all you could probably just cover it with some future shine to get a nice effect. Though if you just paint it a nice gloss red and hit it with future shine, it'll look great and protect it nicely as well.

Having worked with the GT red armor run now, the ABS plastic that was used then actually turns an orange if it gets bent or scratched and the only way to repair it is to gently heat the spot, until it returns to it's red color. It is such beautiful armor though. Probably my second favorite to the black and gold scheme.

-iz

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as finding someone to pull the plastic for me, I seem to be coming up short after contacting AP. This is his response when I asked if I could find the plastic and have it mailed to him.

The problem is set up fees, I pay a professional forming shop, they will only set up the machine to make at least 15-20 kits so it's cost efficient for everyone, supplying your plastic that means they will need to make test pulls and setup the machine according to your plastic,

they can't just make a run and include your plastic in the same run, every plastic has different contents, no 2 ABS plastic is the same, each have different rubber % and plastic pellets, everytime a plastic is used even me which I buy plastic always from same supplier the machine has to be set up accordingly, before even starting the run many test pulls are done, meaning alot of wasted sheets, so your looking at a few hundred dollars before even making the kit.

Mark

On the other hand I have also contacted ATA and he seems to make it out that it's not as big a deal. However now I just need to find the supplier to purchase just enough for a suite and not a pallet full! :lol:

As far as finding someone to pull the plastic for me, I seem to be coming up short after contacting AP. This is his response when I asked if I could find the plastic and have it mailed to him.

On the other hand I have also contacted ATA and he seems to make it out that it's not as big a deal. However now I just need to find the supplier to purchase just enough for a suite and not a pallet full! :lol:

Make it 2 suits and I'll pitch!

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Has anyone heard anything about this lately? My friend Firebat is interested in getting a Magma...

As far as I know there isn't anything going on for red ABS. The only option (that I'm aware of) is to get a white set and paint it red. If I understand correctly, makers don't like using the red ABS because of the longer process. They have to go over each crease in the plastic with a heat gun to get rid of the orange color that comes out and turn it back to the original color of the plastic.

II guess my question would be if we have a paint that's a color match or if that's a task that's yet to be done?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a specific red that is used in making the Magma? I am thinking of doing one of these myself, but would like to be sure to use the right tone of red. Is there a standard? What does everyone else use?

• 1 month later...

For everyone who's posted on this thread, or had an interest in putting together a Magma Trooper... please see my recent INTEREST THREAD post. If we can find 30 folks who express interest, I think there's a good chance that the caster I'm talking to would agree to do a run of red ABS.

Please add your 2 cents and be heard!

Don't give up hope - we just have to be persistent. And I really think the key is getting the word out through the various Garrisons, as I'm SURE there's at least 30 suits worth of interest across the Legion.

Best,

- Andy