Night Death Trooper - CRL Discussion

This will be a thread for discussion of the Night Death Trooper as seen in Ahsoka, Season 1.

------------------------------------------

This will be the main listing and we'll tackle each part piece by piece (green is done, yellow is WIP, and red is not finalized):

• Helmet
  • Balaclava
  • Undersuit
  • Neckseal and Apron
  • Poncho
  • Chest Plate and Shoulder Straps
  • Back
  • Lower Back
  • Shoulder Armor
  • Biceps
  • Elbow Gaskets
  • Forearms
  • Gloves/Hand Plates
  • Abdomen Armor
  • Abdominal/Kidney Gasket
  • Codpiece
  • Posterior Armor
  • Belt
  • Shorts
  • Thighs
  • Knee Gaskets
  • Shins
  • Boots
  • Neuro-Saav Macromotion (NSM) Monitor [optional]
  • E-11D Blaster [optional]

----------FINALIZED TEXT GOES BELOW THIS LINE------------

• Like 4

I'm curious on what direction of the gold cracks/plates will be written on the CRL.

Will it have to follow the two DT's Ezra and Sabine are fighting or will it be more flexible like the TK Night Troopers?

Looking over the frames of the episode it will be difficult in my opinion. For example the DT the Sabine fights, it shows left side of the DT 95% of the time and it's difficult to see what details are present on the right side. 

I'm thinking it may read something like this:

Damage and repair pattern; to achieve this, build your DT to Basic Level 1 Standards, once approved by your GML place the armor kit in one or multiple cardboard boxes, then mail it to yourself via your preferred ground/air package service. (Note: for a heavier damaged look I suggest the USPS, for less damage may I suggest FedEx or DHL)

Once your kit arrives, make all repairs using gold tinted two part epoxy or bonds. Add gold paint as required.

Level 2 will require a minimum of 18k gold leafing. 🤣😅 Sorry, I'm sitting on a plane heading to Hawaii and am bored!

On a more serious note, it may take a while to even get this going due to so few available full 360 references.

• Haha 8
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/11/2024 at 1:52 AM, dewannawanga said:

For the helmet do we want to include 2 versions? One with the full helmet and one with a broken jaw?

That is an option, having a V1 and V2, if we do have a V2 helmet lets make sure if there is any other damage in addition to the broken jaw it should be included as well.

• Like 1

I think we'll be able to do both versions, but I second @Chaos that we check for additional damage on that one on other parts of the costume. I'm fairly certain we're going to have to put the disclaimer on that one with the exposed jaw like they do for the "Death Trooper" zombie TK. The disclaimer would be:

Please note: This particular costume may not be welcome at all 501st events. This is not recommended as a primary Legion membership costume. Please contact your garrison CO/GML with any questions if you are planning to create one.

• Like 1

yeah i figured we would need something like that for the V2 helmet. here is my suggested write up for the V1 helmet. most was copied from the death trooper crl since its the same helmet. my suggested changes will be in a different color.

Helmet

helmet will be matte black in color to match the rest of the armor (except as where a variance is noted, see Gallery Color Scheme Guide).

Is in proportion to the rest of the costume.

The brow extends out beyond the lenses forming a significant overhang.

There is a matte black/rubber stripe extending to the traps on each side.

Matte black/dark gray traps are present on each side.

A line extends from the trap to the lower helmet tube forming a side plate.

The eye lens is one continuous piece with a dark green tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes.

Helmet has elongated angular face plates separated by a nose bridge.

The angular plates are layered in appearance.

Alternating metallic black panels starting with:

Left side plate directly under the eye lens.

Right side angular outer face plate.

Left side angular plate closest to the nose bridge.

The nose bridge has the appearance of a weathered matte black and brushed aluminum/silver surface as depicted in the reference and gallery photos. It also consists of the following:

4 to 6 small horizontal rectangular vent/ribs extending from the top of the nose bridge to approximately ¼ way down.

6 to 8 larger horizontal rectangular vent/ribs run from ⅔ towards the bottom.

7 to 9 vertical vent/ribs connect from the nose bridge to the snout.

Two vent tubes in black rubber or matte black paint are evident on either side of the face plates.

The snout consists of the following:

Vented greeblie similar to that seen on the Scout Trooper without the aerator.

Oblong tusk on each side fitted with a dark green lens.

Each tusk may be optionally fitted with back lighting which is green when illuminated.

Some small ribs are evident on the curved sections of the oblong tusks, refer to photo for location.

The backing plate for the snout has horizontal rectangular vent/ribs.

There is a side panel silver aluminum in color with 8 rectangular vent slots, even in size and spacing on each side of the face plate.

The vents are cut out and lined with steel small mesh and backed with black material.

The side panels are slightly weathered with matte black paint.

The side plates below the traps have 3 shapes consisting of the following:

A raised circular shape directly under the trap.

A smaller raised circular shape under the larger circle offset to the rear of the side plate.

A recessed vertical pill shape that is matte black or dark gray.

There are 9 rectangular traps at the rear of the helmet that are all matte black or dark gray consisting of the following:

A large horizontal rectangular recess with two vertical oblong recesses on the inside.

3 smaller vertical rectangular recesses either side of the large one with the 3rd outermost one having a beveled edge towards the front of the helmet.

2 small vertical rectangular recesses on the lower curved detail directly under the pills in the large rectangular recess.

The helmet will be slightly to moderately weathered but must be uniform with the rest of the costume.

helmet will have gold cracking throughout the entire helmet and match or be similar to the reference photos. 

Helmet must have the Neuro-Saav Macromotion (NSM) Monitor

Monitor sits on the left side of the helmet with an LED bulb to the front under emitter slot.

If bulb is operational, light must be green.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Lenses are curved outward in a slight bulge and formed to the eye opening.

Nose bridge vents/ribs have in these number in order from top to bottom; 6, 8, and 9.

Shall be painted using the Gallery Color Scheme Guide.

There is the appearance of a flat black rubber seal around the lower opening of the helmet neck tube which stops at the flat edges of the snout assembly.

How strict will the "path?" of the gold cracks will be on either a V1 or a V2? Some sides of DT Night Trooper don't have much clear refences or none at all. For example the Ezra DT, we hardy ever see his right side of the costume only his left side.  

I took the liberty of compiling all of the Night Death Trooper images that I have accumulated so far. And I also color corrected many of the Ahsoka screencaps so that the armor details can be seen with more ease. 

CHECK IT OUT: https://imgur.com/a/8SZqXNc  !!

I already have an approved Death Trooper kit, and am planning on using the soft parts for that kit towards this new costume. 

I'm making plans of 3D printing this kit, and am considering digitally altering these files https://shorturl.at/hRUY5 to include the chipped gold engravings in the 3D files.  If I do this method, I'll do my best to copy the gold cracks as closely as I can to the original. Should make it easy for everyone!

image.thumb.jpeg.1eb2aae814c20582d705de8e3d9e1ce9.jpeg

image.jpeg.b33d663606a816a07f114bd79e400d56.jpeg

• Like 1
On 5/10/2024 at 4:52 PM, dewannawanga said:

For the helmet do we want to include 2 versions? One with the full helmet and one with a broken jaw?

100% Yes. Just like the normal Death Trooper CRL has two options, so should the Night version have two CRL's for either a broken or standard helmet.

Luckily the soon-to-come Hot Toys version has both versions of the helmets, so they will be easy to duplicate properly. 

In fact, there is already a competent 3D model of the broken helmet available to download. Here's the link:  https://www.do3d.com/product-page/zombie-death-trooper-ahsoka-3d-printable-model-stl-zt41

image.thumb.jpeg.e250e2e366a459ca5cd9a97da2a24fcd.jpeg

4 hours ago, LVLAsian said:

How strict will the "path?" of the gold cracks will be on either a V1 or a V2? Some sides of DT Night Trooper don't have much clear refences or none at all. For example the Ezra DT, we hardy ever see his right side of the costume only his left side.  

I have a feeling we'll have to be lenient on the actual cracked patterns. 

Until we get a clear front & back image of the Hot Toys figure, we should encourage builders to use the normal Night Trooper stormtroopers as reference to making the cracks and patterns. (Just like approved clone troopers can have varying levels of dirtiness and weathering, our builders should feel free to add cracks and red wrapping as they see fit; to an extent, of course.)

I would rather have all our approved Night Death Troopers sporting unique crack patterns. 

But I agree that a Level Two certification would be a fine option for those who wish to make their crack patterns EXACTLY as seen in the show. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9a34bd5d9327c911ea8a5662fbcd53cb.jpeg

Yeah I agree. In the wording I suggested for the cracks I put

"helmet will have gold cracking throughout the entire helmet and match or be similar to the reference photos. "

With saying "similar to reference photos" this allows people to do there own cracking pattern but also still state they should be similar to the reference as far as the amount and style. I think its gonna be one of those things where it's really gonna be up to the GML.

On a side not, and I know it's word of mouth with no visuals but I did ask Eman Esfandi (Ezra) during a convention what kind of Black the DT are. Said there was absolutely no gloss anywhere on the kit, it's a blend of satin and matte black with heavy weathering.  

Now that we are getting that Purge Trooper Phase 2 from Kenobi over to the LMOs on the final review we can get some resources over to this one. I know that we are going to push the Imperial Security Trooper to get across the finish line. I'll take a look at what has been suggested here and we can work it methodically as we have done with the other ones! :D

• I'm going to check with FISD on how they are going with their Night Troopers and how they are handling the variations of colors (creative liberty). I can also see if they are requiring those areas to be recessed (I don't believe so), or rather just painted on top.
  • I am also in agreement with the no gloss for it, everything that I have seen has been that matte/satin finish.
  • Since the Neuro-Saav Macromotion (NSM) Monitor is on both of the DTs in the scene, I can support it being a requirement.
25 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

Now that we are getting that Purge Trooper Phase 2 from Kenobi over to the LMOs on the final review we can get some resources over to this one. I know that we are going to push the Imperial Security Trooper to get across the finish line. I'll take a look at what has been suggested here and we can work it methodically as we have done with the other ones! :D

• I'm going to check with FISD on how they are going with their Night Troopers and how they are handling the variations of colors (creative liberty). I can also see if they are requiring those areas to be recessed (I don't believe so), or rather just painted on top.
  • I am also in agreement with the no gloss for it, everything that I have seen has been that matte/satin finish.
  • Since the Neuro-Saav Macromotion (NSM) Monitor is on both of the DTs in the scene, I can support it being a requirement.

I would check out the Facebook group as well, they have a lot of good resources

Gold Leaf is the goto it seems with the regular Night Trooper and Enoch and I think it's confirmed what they used in the show

Personally I think the recessed cracks or lines should be a requirement, you can see it clearly around the Abs 

vlcsnap-2023-10-04-17h03m11s039.thumb.jpg.b192f33edf4fa3c8c14d629785013716.jpg