Heat, Heat Injuries and Hydration while Trooping

Okay, we had this topic over on the other boards, but I think it is still very relevant, and wanted to post it here. I'm also including the responses from the other spec ops board. Sorry it isn't really well put together, but I wanted to keep everything, including responses, or as much as I could. Hope you enjoy it.

Fit Club Heat Exhaustion/Hydration Info

Just scroll down until you reach the articles. They are fairly long, but contain good info.

Happy and safe trooping!

with me i normaly make up 4 bottles each is 2 litres of powerade, i drink one before i get there and rest as i need it ,right now i am working out how to hide my camel back in the tb thou to save me de bucketing if i need a drink while walkin or such

cheers

Wolf

Thanx for the info!!!

I trooped in Orlando at SWW 08-09 and in Cuidad de Panama (not in FL in Central America) it was hot like hell and Orlando is going to be hotter in August (CV) so this is going to be really helpful!!

• 2 weeks later...

Pinned it in the Armor tips and tricks section. This is too much of an armor and trooping essential to be in the Cantina. :D

-iz

Thank you Izzi. I just put it in the same spot as on the other forum. And yes, it is very important. I don't want anyone getting ill while trooping. Makes a fun event not so fun.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I've spoken to Tigger68 about a few of my bits of info and she's said sure. I should also mention that I have my Industrial First Aid (OFA Level 3), am a certified PADI Rescue Diver with PADI first Aid, and am a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine - 3 years of med School and 3 years of Chinese Med, and have worked in 2 hospitals in China.

I don't want to toot my own horn but just so you know this isn't just some info I gathered off Wikipedia. :)

This is basically aimed at the troopers out in the sun for a few hours, not hanging out inside at an air conditioned con. Don't get me wrong it's important to drink and pay attention to your body, but for someone who isn't actively sweating Gatorade/power aid/vitamin water provide nothing but extra calories and minerals your body will only urinate away.

A bit of this will be repetition of the info Tigger has posted but some info is new:

- Make sure to hydrate before the troop, especially if there was any drinking at all the night or afternoon before. You'll be dehydrated from the fun of the previous night (booze is a diueretic) so you've gotta get the fluid back in before you start sweating during the troop.

- Try not to drink too much coffee the morning of the troop – also a diuretic (makes you loose water).

- Have a banana with breakfast – contains a good bit of potassium. And will help ward off any potential issues.

- Really try not to use Gatorade or Powerade or Vitamin water to rehydrate, in my professional opinion these products are mearly soda pop dressed in a white lab coat. Personally I use Pedialite (an infant rehydration formula). It comes in a powder or liquid so it can be used at any strength. During a long sweaty hike I'll drink it instead of water (50% strength solution), after a hike or a dive I drink 1 liter of 100% strength solution. In Canada we need to ask the pharmacist for it. And as an added bonus it tastes like crap so you're not going to drink more than you need, nor does it get abused like Gatorade/Poweraid/vitamin Water which is sold beside Milk, Juice and Pop.

- If you even feel the slightest headache or hot sweat/flush try to get some shade, a breeze and some fluids … Even if you don't feel thirsty or overly hot. These can be early signs of a pretty bad result.

- If it's been a hot day and a long troop have a few glasses of water with dinner and drinks afterward. Trust me you'll feel a tonne better the next morning.

And as an added bonus for reading this far – Hang Over Cure: Right before bed: 500 mls. OJ, 2 tylenol, and one vile of Po Chai (bǎo jì wán, pronounced Bow G Wan) – A chinese herbal med. For the flu but works like a charm for Hangovers. Then in the morning, more OJ and 1 more vile of Po Chai. You should be feeling great! The pellets are avalible in all Chinese herbal dispensories.

Troop Safe, Troop Healthy!

• 1 year later...
Guest Shadowspawn

Now i dont own a costume so this is just a suggestion but would it be possible to strap a Hydration pack to your back then put your suit over the top of it?? Just an idea, save taking the bucket off all the time and carrying water round.

Regards

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Dave,

Great question.

Camel packs are a great idea ... the only down side is the hydration you take in will need to come out, and if it isn't sweat ... well then you'll have to kit down to some degree to use the nearest facilities. I've toyed with the idea, as they will fit inconspicuously in or under most costumes, but for me I prefer to hydrate before and after a hot event, and take sips of water during as needed,

For most troops heat or heat injuries won't be a concern, but dehydration to some degree may be a factor. Your best bet for most troops is to take a break every few hours, get some fluids in (and out) and then head back. Most of the Hot troops ie: over 32 degrees C or 90 degrees Fahrenheit will have spotters, handlers and refreshments - and all of this will (should) be organized for the troopers.

But, having said that ... if you have a camel pack and it works for you have at it! The more self reliant you can be the better!

Dave,

Great question.

Camel packs are a great idea ... the only down side is the hydration you take in will need to come out, and if it isn't sweat ... well then you'll have to kit down to some degree to use the nearest facilities. I've toyed with the idea, as they will fit inconspicuously in or under most costumes, but for me I prefer to hydrate before and after a hot event, and take sips of water during as needed,

For most troops heat or heat injuries won't be a concern, but dehydration to some degree may be a factor. Your best bet for most troops is to take a break every few hours, get some fluids in (and out) and then head back. Most of the Hot troops ie: over 32 degrees C or 90 degrees Fahrenheit will have spotters, handlers and refreshments - and all of this will (should) be organized for the troopers.

But, having said that ... if you have a camel pack and it works for you have at it! The more self reliant you can be the better!

I can fit a small bladder inside the hump of the biker backplate. I tried it once just at home and it looked/worked okay, but I decided against it because of the whole having to suit down to use the bathroom aspect.

I am looking into getting a 'cooling vest' though...mostly for chewie but it could easily fit under armor.

• 2 years later...

Just chiming in here to offer my advice from professional experience. I used to exercise a lot when I was younger. I did triathlons and a few half marathons. Hydration is extremely important and often it is ignored. Your body needs water to function properly, plain and simple. Your body uses an incredible amount of electrolytes in heat and strenuous activities. A great source for this is actually pickle juice, but if you are like me and don't want to drink a jar or pickles, there are plenty of other options. I used to make a drink for myself that was actually pretty good and worked great. A mixture of water (duh) lemon juice, coconut water, mint, baking soda, and a tiny bit of salt. But just remember, what you take it, has to come back out. I thought about using one of those hydration packs and it would be a great idea but as others have said, using the facilities makes it a pain. You could always get yourself one of those stadium wizzers though :)

Water, water and more water.... Oh and Haribo.

I'm pretty notorious for my lack of need for 'intake' whilst trooping, but I am very very aware of it.

The thing is to actually listen to your body. Know the signs.

Sweating, lethargy, headache, tingling, feeling hot, dry mouth, dizziness, narrowing or blurring of vision, excessive urination.

Any of these mean you're becoming dehydrated and what goes out will need to be put back in to come back out again.

Your body will loose vital salts as a result, but that's nothing eating healthily won't put back in over the course of a day.

Keep topped up. Water... Little and often. Listen to your body, you've lived in it for a number of years, you should know what it's saying.

Know your limits. Don't try to be a hero. If you're thinking "F*ck my ol' boots, I'm boiling to death in here".... It's probably time to go get a drink.

If you have to de-kit... so what. Better that than spending the rest of the event in the medical bay.

Get a Scout. It's a quick whip the crotch flap up, zip down, undercarriage out. Job done (not the for ladies, I'll grant you...)