Tom Campbell Files

Hello everyone!  I purchased MCM Design's files (Previously known as Tom's files) about 2 years ago and just now getting around to printing them.   But I have many questions.  I never got a instruction doc or anything from him on how they all work together and what the different versions are.   Anyway, trying to get ahold of him.  Sent him a couple emails over the last week but no response yet.   

Wondering if someone on here knows how to contact him?

2 hours ago, Mal86 said:

You could message MCM Designs, who now sells the files on behalf in Tom. (Info in the vendor post)

What are you trying to figure out for assembly? Are there specific parts you’re not sure about?

The main thing is regarding the different versions of the shins.   They sent me 3 different versions with no info about what is different.

Also have 3 different versions of the back armor.   

Trying to figure out if these versions are aesthetic changes or structural only?

Was also hoping for some guidance on how all of the parts hold together.  Like when it was designed, how did they intend the 3 parts of the separated shins to hold together with only the clip trim part on the top?  Is there supposed to be Velcro used at what bottom?  Or some other way to get them to stay together?   

Have lots of questions like that on the upper torso as well.  

Mainly was hoping for some form of instruction manual that passes along the information about how Tom was intending it all to go together when he designed it.

I was also wondering about the straps that go over the shoulder. He has the modeled flat. But they have to be permanently curved too match the shoulder shape. Or they need to be flexible. Was he intending these to be printed in a flexible material? If so are there instructions on how to do this? Like what material he used? Or are they intended to just be printed and use as a template and then somehow made out of something else?

Lastly I was wondering about the wrist straps on the left gauntlet. It's my understanding that those are supposed to be made out of rubber. But he has them as 3D printed parts. And once printed I don't see any way to get them onto the gauntlets themselves without breaking them or something. So I was curious how he had done this or planned to do this with the way he built his 3D files.

I'm sure there's plenty of other little things that'll come up as well and was just hoping to have a way to contact him as I'm building in case I'm having troubles or get stuck.

For the straps and rubber parts, you have to use flexible 3D material such as TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) material, however, they are distributed under various names, such as TPU, TPEE, etc.

As it relates for the other parts, I am sure there are some build posts based on Tom's build.

I would suggest similar to @Mal86, message MCM Design. Ideally via facebook.

On 12/21/2023 at 8:55 AM, Rhragnarok said:

The main thing is regarding the different versions of the shins.   They sent me 3 different versions with no info about what is different.

Also have 3 different versions of the back armor.   

Trying to figure out if these versions are aesthetic changes or structural only?

Was also hoping for some guidance on how all of the parts hold together.  Like when it was designed, how did they intend the 3 parts of the separated shins to hold together with only the clip trim part on the top?  Is there supposed to be Velcro used at what bottom?  Or some other way to get them to stay together?   

Have lots of questions like that on the upper torso as well.  

Mainly was hoping for some form of instruction manual that passes along the information about how Tom was intending it all to go together when he designed it.

I was also wondering about the straps that go over the shoulder. He has the modeled flat. But they have to be permanently curved too match the shoulder shape. Or they need to be flexible. Was he intending these to be printed in a flexible material? If so are there instructions on how to do this? Like what material he used? Or are they intended to just be printed and use as a template and then somehow made out of something else?

Lastly I was wondering about the wrist straps on the left gauntlet. It's my understanding that those are supposed to be made out of rubber. But he has them as 3D printed parts. And once printed I don't see any way to get them onto the gauntlets themselves without breaking them or something. So I was curious how he had done this or planned to do this with the way he built his 3D files.

I'm sure there's plenty of other little things that'll come up as well and was just hoping to have a way to contact him as I'm building in case I'm having troubles or get stuck.

I'll open by saying that the kit I'm working on is not MCM Design's files (Previously known as Tom's files), so take my feedback for what its worth.

I'm not sure on the 3 different versions.  You could take a look here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/death-trooper-armor-star-wars-rogue-one Click folder details and see what files are currently included and see if that helps you any.  Otherwise, I would compare the looks of the STLs to the CRL images and see if one seems more up to date.

On holding the parts together, I doubt you'll find full instructions for that.  That is generally up to the person assembling to look at and figure out.  I'd search through the forums for builds using MCM Design's files (Previously known as Tom's files) and see what you find on how different people put it together and see what makes sense for your knowledge and skills, as well as what skills you want to learn.  If you search the forum here for his posts and the facebook group, you may see some of the ways he originally designed it.

As mentioned @TookBreaker, you will probably want to print the traps in TPU.

On the wrist straps, I'd also search the forums.  There are a number of suggestions of how to do it.  Here is some of what I found in my previous searches: 

On connecting with Tom, the impression I've gotten is he has stepped away from addressing this stuff directly himself, so I don't think you'll get answers directly, but there are a lot of great people on the forums who will be happy to help how they can. 

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

• Like 1