Matthew's Death Trooper WIP

Hello everyone! so I recently decided to begin my Death trooper project. I will use this page as a WIP and will post regularly because I will definitely need help haha. 

So to start off I can list what I have and I will post pictures

Soft Parts:

Full soft parts set- Jim Tripon 

Armor:

Patreon Galactic Armory 3d files

I will post all the pictures in a seperate post. 

I firstly wanted to know If I will have to mod any of the files that I have used, because I did read somewhere someone had a similar issue regarding the thighs. They have a slit on both inside and outside pieces that is supposed to be covered with the ribbed pieces. Now granted, my undersuit has this ribbed portion but will this fly under the crl? or will it have to be attached to the actual armor. 

I will attach the photos and hopefully get the feedback and a go ahead to begin sanding the parts for finish and assembly. (I don't wanna finish armor that won't be approved) 

Thank you all for your help in advance!

• Like 1

I don't know enough about the galactic armor files to give you feedback on their general need to be modified, so I'm not addressing that other than by suggesting that you closely examine each piece and compare it to the CRL before committing.

On the thighs, I believe the ribbing for the undersuit is insufficient for the thighs.  I'm not saying you need to get these, but I think this should give you an idea: https://plasticarmsdealer.com/collections/death-troopers/products/screen-accurate-sheet-of-hard-rubber-for-death-trooper-thighs

I think I've seen posts where people got rubber mats from hardware stores or amazon and cut them up and attached them.  I hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Mal86 said:

I don't know enough about the galactic armor files to give you feedback on their general need to be modified, so I'm not addressing that other than by suggesting that you closely examine each piece and compare it to the CRL before committing.

On the thighs, I believe the ribbing for the undersuit is insufficient for the thighs.  I'm not saying you need to get these, but I think this should give you an idea: https://plasticarmsdealer.com/collections/death-troopers/products/screen-accurate-sheet-of-hard-rubber-for-death-trooper-thighs

I think I've seen posts where people got rubber mats from hardware stores or amazon and cut them up and attached them.  I hope that helps.

So one issue haha, I scaled and printed the entire suit already lol. I only decided after that I was going to make it a 501st suit, or try to. so oops on my part but for some reason I can't post the photos?? it keeps saying they're all too big.( in file size) 

1 hour ago, PiotrRasputin said:

Have you considered MCM's files for your build? I'm currently in my build process and chose those files, so far just the helmet, but have heard only good things about them.  

Could you link where I could view the files?

6 minutes ago, matt_aggy28 said:

So one issue haha, I scaled and printed the entire suit already lol. I only decided after that I was going to make it a 501st suit, or try to. so oops on my part but for some reason I can't post the photos?? it keeps saying they're all too big.( in file size) 

You'll want to setup an imgur account to upload your pictures there. Then, you can copy the Direct Link and paste it on the forum posts and it should automatically show the picture.

6 minutes ago, matt_aggy28 said:

Could you link where I could view the files?

Here you go: https://cults3d.com/en/users/MCM_Design/3d-models

Hi Matthew. Great to see you starting your build thread. Use this thread to post photos of your progress, and yes. Use imgur.  It works great for photos as you are very limited on size and number of files you can directly upload to the forum. 

With respect to your thighs, the ribbing and the thigh need to be one piece.  You can but rubber matting as mentioned above and use them to join the solid pieces together to make the full thigh.  I suspect this was the plan for the files when they were created.  

Please ask lots of questions.  We are here to help.

Just now, DoggyDoc said:

Hi Matthew. Great to see you starting your build thread. Use this thread to post photos of your progress, and yes. Use imgur.  It works great for photos as you are very limited on size and number of files you can directly upload to the forum. 

With respect to your thighs, the ribbing and the thigh need to be one piece.  You can but rubber matting as mentioned above and use them to join the solid pieces together to make the full thigh.  I suspect this was the plan for the files when they were created.  

Please ask lots of questions.  We are here to help.

Yessir thank you! I plan too. Any tips on where I should move forward next with? 

I was gonna order a visor and gloves and begin sanding the armor currently. My main concern, as said above, was that the files I have already used and printed out were not 501st accurate. 

Getting the soft parts and accessories early on is a good idea so that you have everything ready as you need it for the build. Sometimes parts may be coming from overseas so can take a few weeks or more to arrive.

If everything is printed, I would likely start at the top of the CRL and go piece by piece to see what may need to be changed.  Since you will be painting the armour, you can either make modifications to pieces, or if not possible replace them with more accurate pieces. Any modifications or differences in colour will be covered by the paint.  

As you go along, post photos so others can help you along the way if you are not sure.  You will also be creating a good reference for anyone that may be in your situation down the road. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, matt_aggy28 said:

Yessir thank you! I plan too. Any tips on where I should move forward next with? 

I was gonna order a visor and gloves and begin sanding the armor currently. My main concern, as said above, was that the files I have already used and printed out were not 501st accurate. 

I'd suggest getting the soft parts before spending much more time on the armor.  If the pieces don't fit properly over the soft parts or need other adjustments, it might be frustrating to have spent the time sanding and finishing the pieces, just to have to reprint or modify.

If you are looking for something to work on while waiting for soft parts, you could always work on belt parts (pouches, leather holster, etc.) or printing and finishing the blasters.

• Like 2