swman77's Death Trooper WIP

Hi everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm totally new to this, and am learning as I go. After years of thinking and researching, I've decided to start my build, and want to start with the Death Trooper. I haven't ordered anything yet, but below is the list of pieces that I am planning on. I know there are some pieces that are missing, like the belt, but I guess I'm just figuring I will check things off the list and see what I have left. This is definitely a work in progress. 

Like I said, I'm totally new to this :) 

Armor: 850 Armorworks 3D Printed, MCM Design file https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/death-trooper-armor-star-wars-rogue-one

Date Started:

Date Finished: 

Helmet: Cyber Craft Jim Tripon (Pre-Owned)

Date Ordered: April 14, 2024

Date Received: April 20, 2024

Helmet Electronics: Ukswrath

Date Ordered:

Date Received: 

Undersuit: Jim Tripon

Date Ordered: April 9, 2024

Date Received: 

Gloves: Endor Finders https://www.endorfinders.com/shop/rogue-one-trooper-gloves

Date Ordered:

Date Received: 

Boots: Keep Trooping https://keeptrooping.com/product/killer/

Date Ordered: April 12, 2024

Date Received: April 26, 2024

E-11D: Imperial Arms https://www.imperialarms3d.com/product-page/death-trooper-e-11d-blaster-rifle-prop-with-functioning-light-and-stock

Date Ordered:

Date Received: 

I'll update with dates as I go. If anyone has had any feedback with these vendors let me know. 

As someone who is also on their Death Trooper journey, welcome to the club!

I've seen threads before where some of the best advice is to start off getting the soft goods, then work on the armor. 

Jim Tripon's undersuit is the way to go.  Just be sure you have a helper take good measurements in centimeters. Endor Finders Gloves are also great!  These are both part of my build.  I can't speak for KeepTrooping, but heard good things.  I just recently got my boots from CrowProps because KT only go up to size 12.5 and I wear size 13 US.

Good luck!

Thanks for the welcome. It made the most sense to start with the soft parts and work outward, so I’m glad to hear others agree. 

Thank you so much for the reminder about measuring in metric, as an American I would have given Jim measurements in inches without even thinking. 

I haven’t seen CrowProps for boots so I will be looking at that now too, thank you. 

Welcome.  I'm still working on my kit as well. 

I went with KeepTrooping for the boots.  They seem decent quality.  However, I haven't trooped in them.  From my reading of people's feedback, they seemed pretty equal with CrowProps being the higher priced option and the only option for larger shoe sizes.  

Let us know how we can support you!

Hi Jed. Welcome to Spec Ops. 
Awesome choice of costume. The build is pretty gruelling but it is so much fun to wear and looks so impressive. 
make sure to ask lots of questions as you go, we are here to help you on your journey. 

Hi again Jed.

I had a closer look at the helmet you posted and I have some concerns that it will need to be modified for basic approval.  The last thing I would want to have happen is that you pay a pretty penny for the helmet only to find it will not be approved.  Here are the issues that I can see from their sales page.

The main issue is the paint scheme.  The helmet should have alternating metallic black and gloss black panels and is asymmetrically painted .  The Cyber craft helmet appears to be flat and gloss black but is symmetrically painted.

Here is the CRL color scheme compared to the cyber craft helmet.  You would need to repaint the helmet to make it  ready for basic approval.

CRL: Helmet has elongated angular face plates separated by a nose bridge.

• The angular plates are layered in appearance.
  • Alternating metallic black panels starting with:
    • Left side plate directly under the eye lens.
    • Right side angular outer face plate.
    • Left side angular plate closest to the nose bridge.

AJMF3ID.png  WAHh2Qw.png

With respect to the vents on the side, it does not look like they are lined with the steel mesh.  If not, you may need to open up the inside of the hlemt to put the mesh in place.

CRL: There is a side panel silver aluminum in color with 8 rectangular vent slots, even in size and spacing on each side of the face plate.

• The vents are cut out and lined with steel small mesh and backed with black material.
  • The side panels are slightly weathered with matte black paint.

TUVEue8.png  QiWp8ZK.jpg

The final thing you would need to ensure are that the details on the back of the helmet are correct as there is no rear view on the cyber craft website.

Wow thanks so much for that. I obviously don’t have the eye for this yet because I had no idea. I’ve liked Cyber Craft the best out of all the ones I’ve seen, so I don’t mind making these adjustments when the time comes. I’ll definitely want to see a photo of the back though, you’re right. Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

@swman77, @Chaoshas a PDF that compares CyberCraft to Anovos and details what needs to be changed to make it approvable.  It's too big for me to upload, but here is a link to where he posted it to the Death Trooper Build FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeathTroopersBG/permalink/5531104410261163/

If you can't get it from there, let us know and I'm sure we can find a way to get it to you.

Thank you for alerting me on this, and I was able to see the document. I also found the post where @Chaos talks more in depth about this, in case anyone else is interested, here: 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

After doing some research, I’m rethinking the Cyber Craft helmet. I could have adjusted the paint job, but I’m afraid of too big of a mismatch in quality, which is a pretty big deal on the face of the helmet. Also, I ran into this post on the DT builders FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeathTroopersBG/permalink/6661265830578343/?mibextid=W9rl1R

So as far as I can tell, the best three options are 850, Denuo Novo, or Jim Tripon.

I am worried by the photos of the paint job on the 850 helmet. DN would probably be the highest quality, but it appears that their release date for the helmet keeps getting pushed back. So I am still researching and will be scouring the forums for info, but if anyone wants to drop it here feel free. 

2 hours ago, swman77 said:

After doing some research, I’m rethinking the Cyber Craft helmet. I could have adjusted the paint job, but I’m afraid of too big of a mismatch in quality, which is a pretty big deal on the face of the helmet. Also, I ran into this post on the DT builders FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DeathTroopersBG/permalink/6661265830578343/?mibextid=W9rl1R

So as far as I can tell, the best three options are 850, Denuo Novo, or Jim Tripon.

I am worried by the photos of the paint job on the 850 helmet. DN would probably be the highest quality, but it appears that their release date for the helmet keeps getting pushed back. So I am still researching and will be scouring the forums for info, but if anyone wants to drop it here feel free. 

Have you measured the diameter of your forehead? That's one of the more important factors I would be concerned with.  Though their site says it fits a 25" circumference forehead.  If you are under that size, you should be ok.

The other option would be to get MCM's 3D Print files and print/assemble the helmet yourself.  It's more time intensive, but these are the best files.  I have bought them myself because I am in Club Big Head and am actively filling and sanding my helmet at the moment. 

It appears I am not part of Club Big Head, as I measure 22” 😂

I’ve wondered about the 3D printed helmets. How is the quality compared to the plastic variety? 

13 hours ago, swman77 said:

@swman77 I also didn't want to play the waiting game on the Denuo Novo helmet as I kept seeing the ship date getting pushed. I was able to pickup the 2018 ANOVOS Rogue One DT Helmet on ebay for $650 shipped. So keep an eye out for those when they pop up. I believe they are the exact same helmet that Denuo Novo is producing as they were required to fulfill all of the original orders from Anovos when they took over the license. 

2 years ago and a long story later, I commissioned someone to finish finish a Jim Tripon Build for me which included the helmet. Now that I have the Anovos helmet I no longer need Jim's. It is mostly finished however the paint scheme is not compliant with the CRL and would need to be updated.  Message me if interested, I would be happy to give you a deal on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.bec0a8e81c0fd34328d0f69a16e1867d.jpeg

• Like 1

So the helmet arrived yesterday, and unfortunately it looks like one of the tusks broke off in transit. As soon as I got it I also went to an armor party at my local garrison where I met a bunch of people and learned a lot. 

When I was there, I decided to try 3D printing my armor instead of getting it from 850. I initially shied away from that because I was intimidated by the amount of work involved, and because I wasn’t sure about the quality of the material. After seeing some printed armor in person yesterday, I no longer have any fear about the quality, I was quite impressed. I’ve never been able to handle any of this armor in person so that was huge for me. 

As for the work involved, I exchanged numbers with one of the other troopers there who will be teaching me everything I need to know and helping me every step of the way. Side note, I just want to say I’m so amazed at how welcoming everyone in the 501st has been, from this forum to my local garrison. It was definitely daunting walking into an armor party where I knew nobody, but I really had no reason to be nervous. 

Anyway, the last hurdle of the 3D printing is the actual printing. I don’t have a printer, but I actually recently decided to get one and this is another reason to do so. Plus, the trooper that will be helping me has one and said he’ll help me with the printing. 

Back to the helmet, I got some adhesive and reattached the tusk and another little piece that came off with it. I have decided to repaint the helmet, so this piece will be repainted at some point. 

My next step is padding the interior. I have the opposite problem as some others on here, and the helmet is very large on my head. Even with the helmet padding I got on Amazon, my ears don't even touch the sides. So I was looking through the forums here and thought about hard hat suspension. I ordered the suspension by itself and I'll see if that works. I would still like padding on the sides and back though. I thought about using some foam I have laying around, but I'm not sure how to adhere it to the interior. I didn't think glue would work very well on the foam. So I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not sure what to use that will be big enough, soft enough, and stick enough. 

ywM9Ojf.jpg

B53e8xq.jpg

SJlvc8b.jpg

ob6UpmB.jpg

3e3m7mY.jpg

1 hour ago, swman77 said:

So the helmet arrived yesterday, and unfortunately it looks like one of the tusks broke off in transit. As soon as I got it I also went to an armor party at my local garrison where I met a bunch of people and learned a lot. 

When I was there, I decided to try 3D printing my armor instead of getting it from 850. I initially shied away from that because I was intimidated by the amount of work involved, and because I wasn’t sure about the quality of the material. After seeing some printed armor in person yesterday, I no longer have any fear about the quality, I was quite impressed. I’ve never been able to handle any of this armor in person so that was huge for me. 

As for the work involved, I exchanged numbers with one of the other troopers there who will be teaching me everything I need to know and helping me every step of the way. Side note, I just want to say I’m so amazed at how welcoming everyone in the 501st has been, from this forum to my local garrison. It was definitely daunting walking into an armor party where I knew nobody, but I really had no reason to be nervous. 

Anyway, the last hurdle of the 3D printing is the actual printing. I don’t have a printer, but I actually recently decided to get one and this is another reason to do so. Plus, the trooper that will be helping me has one and said he’ll help me with the printing. 

Back to the helmet, I got some adhesive and reattached the tusk and another little piece that came off with it. I have decided to repaint the helmet, so this piece will be repainted at some point. 

My next step is padding the interior. I have the opposite problem as some others on here, and the helmet is very large on my head. Even with the helmet padding I got on Amazon, my ears don't even touch the sides. So I was looking through the forums here and thought about hard hat suspension. I ordered the suspension by itself and I'll see if that works. I would still like padding on the sides and back though. I thought about using some foam I have laying around, but I'm not sure how to adhere it to the interior. I didn't think glue would work very well on the foam. So I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not sure what to use that will be big enough, soft enough, and stick enough. 

ywM9Ojf.jpg

B53e8xq.jpg

SJlvc8b.jpg

ob6UpmB.jpg

3e3m7mY.jpg

@swman77I am so sorry the helmet arrived with the Tusk broken off! I thought I packaged it really well. Sorry you have to deal with fixing it now. 

3 hours ago, swman77 said:

So I was looking through the forums here and thought about hard hat suspension. I ordered the suspension by itself and I'll see if that works. I would still like padding on the sides and back though. I thought about using some foam I have laying around, but I'm not sure how to adhere it to the interior. I didn't think glue would work very well on the foam. So I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not sure what to use that will be big enough, soft enough, and stick enough. 

You're going to like using the hard hat liner. It's way better than foam as it allows airflow around your head with a good set of fans (I use TrooperTronix) it also gives you more room to mount a helmet audio system and anything else you want to pack into the helmet.

The suspension harness depending on how far up you mount it in your helmet may not adjust enough to align the helmet with your eyes, if it sits too low and you need to raise your helmet up on your head you can use any helmet pad, they are cheap on Amazon, or you could go to a craft store and buy a small memory foam pillow or sheet and make your own.

As far as affixing anything to the inside of the helmet, if you want it to stay permanently, use a 2 part plastic weld epoxy, if you want to be able to remove with little effort use E6000. However keep in mind that when E6000 gets hot it can peel away.

Here is an old photo from when I had a Jimmi helmet, might give you some ideas.

k993yXG.jpg

Cool, thanks for that info. It appears you don’t have any side foam, I’m guessing that’s because your head fills the space better than mine? I’m wondering if after I have fans, speakers, battery packs etc it will just naturally fit better because of all the stuff in there. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, swman77 said:

Cool, thanks for that info. It appears you don’t have any side foam, I’m guessing that’s because your head fills the space better than mine? I’m wondering if after I have fans, speakers, battery packs etc it will just naturally fit better because of all the stuff in there. 

I can wear the Anovos helmet with no issues (hat size 7 1/4") so my head had plenty of room in Jim's helmet. It was great to have all the air circulation, especially in the Hawaiian summer months.

I didn't need side foam, with a baklava on and the harness adjusted properly, there was no "wobble" I did need a pad in the top center to raise the helmet for eye alignment. 

Update: My boots from KeepTrooping arrived today. I was shocked, since I only ordered them on April 12th and I was prepared to wait much longer to receive them.

They look pretty awesome. The only thing is that the laces are pretty short. Has anybody else switched them out for longer ones? I checked the CRL and I can't see why not, since they are hidden beneath the flap. 

spacer.png

23 hours ago, swman77 said:

Update: My boots from KeepTrooping arrived today. I was shocked, since I only ordered them on April 12th and I was prepared to wait much longer to receive them.

They look pretty awesome. The only thing is that the laces are pretty short. Has anybody else switched them out for longer ones? I checked the CRL and I can't see why not, since they are hidden beneath the flap. 

spacer.png

Haven't swapped out my laces, but don't use the pull tab to get them on your feet.

Changing the length of your laces is not an issue, just as long as they are hidden from view you're good to go.