Forest Trooper - CRL Discussion

I feel like the flap is there, but due to the limitations of the design in the game it doesnt "hang" from the back. 

Im not really clear on the first two parts of your post as it seems like those issues are already handled, with both the thigh strap and the patch are clearly defined? Or am i completely missing your issue? 

• Like 2

@Gree23 Ah I see…you are correct. I did not notice the verbiage on the straps wrapping around the leg.  That’s good then.

I’d like to hear @IcyTrooper @Heavy or anyone else’s thoughts on whether that’s a flap or some sort of seat patch. If everyone else agrees then Im ok to re-green it.

• Like 2

I agree with texture limitations nowt allowing for it to sit like it would the other patches, but I tried to go back and see the in-game models on our reference thread for the Swamp Trooper, as it most likely had the same pants. That is speculation on my part as the reference images we have for the Swamp Trooper are very dark on the pants part, so we can't see any texture on it. That may also be the reason why we kept it the same text as the Shadow Scout.

IMG_6714.jpeg

To me it looks like the texturing is different from that of the rest of the bunching around it, indicative of suede or the like, so I'd personally lean towards having the flap there.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

I agree with texture limitations nowt allowing for it to sit like it would the other patches, but I tried to go back and see the in-game models on our reference thread for the Swamp Trooper, as it most likely had the same pants. That is speculation on my part as the reference images we have for the Swamp Trooper are very dark on the pants part, so we can't see any texture on it. That may also be the reason why we kept it the same text as the Shadow Scout.

IMG_6714.jpeg

To me it looks like the texturing is different from that of the rest of the bunching around it, indicative of suede or the like, so I'd personally lean towards having the flap there.

Agreed

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IcyTrooper said:

IMG_6714.jpeg

Understood…and if the majority say roll with the flap we can do that

I would only add that referencing what was done on the Swamp and the Shadow should prob be limited…those CRLs were created during a much looser time period in terms of CRL standards.  The updates they went through (2020 I believe mahbe 2019) were almost like a transition…attempting to marry what we do now with what had already been done back then.  If we had the opportunity to do another update, I actually think it would be to finalize that transition towards a more true-to-reference build and potentially even grandfather those CRLs as they are now…that would actually kill the 15 year plus debate on how much we need to align with the Pathfinders CRL. but I digress lol

TL;DR I wouldnt reference the verbiage of the Shadow or Swampy as those really arent accurate to the references in several aspects.

• Like 3

I agree with most of that, low-poly has given us a good ability to upscale some stuff on our end. I mentioned that to the LMOs in the past to ensure that we have good quality on what we see. We could refine our costumes for that for sure, it would be a grandfathered scenario as you suggested.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

I agree with most of that, low-poly has given us a good ability to upscale some stuff on our end. I mentioned that to the LMOs in the past to ensure that we have good quality on what we see. We could refine our costumes for that for sure, it would be a grandfathered scenario as you suggested.

For sure…that upscale tended to be the commonly used default as opposed to the exception to fill a gap which is what’s made those CRLs such a headache over the years as standards have been raised.

Anyways…we good to green the flightsuit and chest then?

• Like 3

Yes we can! I have put them on the first page as such.

Onto the Back Armor text, some changes in L2 to show no tank topper greeblies.

Back Armor

• Back and tank are painted to match the rest of the armor.
  • The back armor has a center tank attached.
  • The top of the tank is flat with a detail piece painted black.
    • Top detail piece uses the same greeblies as seen on the screen-used ROTJ Biker Scout armor.
    • Top detail piece is painted matte black.
    • The tank has black stripe detail.
    • Optional: Additional "rank indicators", present on the right side of the tank, can number between 0 to 7 stripes.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Back and Tank must be two separate parts, no single part back/tank plates will be admissible.
  • Has 7 stripes details on both sides on tank.
  • Bullet tank on the back armor has NO tank topper greebles detail.
  • Rear tank has properly placed pin striping and a single bottom attachment rivet, painted to blend in with armor.
  • Blinking lights or LED's on the bullet tank are not acceptable.
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

Yes we can! I have put them on the first page as such.

Onto the Back Armor text, some changes in L2 to show no tank topper greeblies.

Back Armor

• The back armor has a center tank attached.
    • Top detail piece uses the same greeblies as seen on the screen-used ROTJ Biker Scout armor.
    • Optional: Additional "rank indicators", present on the right side of the tank, can number between 0 to 7 stripes.

• Back and Tank must be two separate parts, no single part back/tank plates will be admissible.
  • Rear tank has properly placed pin striping and a single bottom attachment rivet, painted to blend in with armor.

This looks good to me. The only thing I see is do you want to require that bottom rivet even? Shading on that makes it pretty much impossible to tell…so can go either way.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RAIDER said:

This looks good to me. The only thing I see is do you want to require that bottom rivet even? Shading on that makes it pretty much impossible to tell…so can go either way.

I didn't catch that initially, yeah there really is no way to tell if that is there. However, that may be something that is required to keep the tank on the armor yeah? If so, maybe we change the text that if that rivet is present it is painted to match the color of the rest of the armor?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, IcyTrooper said:

I didn't catch that initially, yeah there really is no way to tell if that is there. However, that may be something that is required to keep the tank on the armor yeah? If so, maybe we change the text that if that rivet is present it is painted to match the color of the rest of the armor?

I like that. Doesnt HAVE to be there, but if it is it must match the tank. 

• Like 1

Here is the final text for the Back Armor with that updated rivet:

Back Armor

• The back armor has a center tank attached and may feature a single bottom attachment rivet.

• Rear tank has properly placed pin striping and if a single bottom attachment rivet is present, it must be painted to blend in with armor.
  • Like 2

For the Cummerbund, I have been trying to find any differences in it, and so far I found that the front part of ribbing shows 7 ribs, so I adjusted that. I also adjusted the color to say olive-green in L1 details and for L2 we should do like we did for the chest-to-back shoulder bridge fabric being dyed or painted to match that of the armor it connects to:

Cummerbund

• Made from black fabric.
  • Closes in back with 2" (50mm) hook and loop fastener.
  • Extends from just under the chest armor down to the waist.
  • There is no gap between the belt and cummerbund.
  • Cummerbund should be made of same or similar fabric to the vest.
  • Has a tapered cod section with inverted curve sewn in detail (not a chevron).
  • Cod is olive-green in color and made of the same type of fabric/material as the cummerbund. 
  • Connects between the legs to the back of the cummerbund by a 2" (50mm) black elastic strap.
  • Front of cummerbund has 5-7 equal ribs stitched, centered between the two black fabric pouches.
  • Ribs are of equal width.
  • Ribs are completely visible between the pouches.
  • Cummerbund touches the bottom of the chest armor.
  • Cummerbund slightly overlaps the belt.

• Made from the Cummerbund tutorial page.
  • The cummerbund is separate from the flight suit and vest.
  • There is no visible external edge stitching on the cummerbund, the cod or pouch flaps.
  • Pouches are made from a matte black heavy cotton or canvas like material.
  • Bottom edge of the pouch flap must be less than half the overall width of the pouch.
  • Pouch size to conform to individual size; should fit in gap between chest armor and belt with minimal overhang.
  • Codpiece must conform to shape pictured in the CRL and source art, and is dyed or painted to match that of the armor.
  • Cod strap runs between the legs, but attaches to the flightsuit or some other area under the butt flap, and does not show overtop.
  • Codpiece must not have excessive bunching around groin area.
  • Optional: Codpiece is separate from the cummerbund and attached to either the vest or the flight suit.
  • Like 2

Onto the Belt and Detonator text. I updated the drop box straps for L1 to allow for a slide release buckle or the T-buckle/clamp buckle style and then in L2 requiring the T-buckle/clamp buckle style as the reference images show something different from a standard plastic slide one. I Google'd T-buckle and found some hits that show it somewhat similar to that one the reference images. I'm not sure about the rest of the text, we have a copy over from the Shadow Scout and Swamp Trooper.

Belt and Detonator

• Belt and TD are painted to match the rest of the armor.
  • The front and four "boxes" of the belt are made of hard material.
  • Hanging from the sides of the belt are hip boxes (drop boxes) connected to the belt by 1.5" (40mm) black textile straps.
  • Each drop box strap is threaded behind a black side release buckle, or T-buckle/clamp buckle, centered on the strap.
  • Attached to the back of the belt is a rectangular thermal detonator box with short black corrugated hose.
  • Accurate thermal detonator greeblies are attached to the box.
  • The rectangular part of the thermal detonator greeblie, fixed on the left side of the detonator, is the same as used in the rebel Endor trooper rank badge.
  • On the right hand side is the same round greeblie as used on the Scout tank topper.
  • See the detonator detail page for a close up image of the greeblies.
  • The TD box is secured by one single black tie wrap, with side buckle to fasten belt hidden under the box out of sight, or velcro fastening attached with 2" (50mm) black cotton or nylon belt secured on each end of the belt with a single rivet painted to match the rest of the armor.

• The belt is made from a one-piece construction with no visible gaps, and not separated with fabric in between sections, apart from at the back where the TD box sits. Making any joins in a 3 part belt seamless, is highly recommended.
  • The straps attached to the drop boxes to the belt are made from 1.5" (40mm) black cotton webbing.
    • Drop boxes hang the correct distance from the belt.
    • Nylon webbing is inaccurate.
  • The buckle on each drop box strap are a T-buckle/clamp buckle style, matching the reference photos.
  • Thermal Detonator end caps to be concave and not flat.
  • Optional: Thermal Detonator must have visible black clips attaching it to the web belt.
  • Optional: Thermal Detonator tube to be wire wrapped and not ribbed tube.
  • Optional: Thermal Detornator may have Hex shaped cap with a center "nipple" detail. 
  • Like 2

Just a side note here, the LMOs have officially approved this costume as a NTTL costume with placement in our detachment. We can continue CRL development and any building!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 1:14 PM, IcyTrooper said:

Onto the Belt and Detonator text. I updated the drop box straps for L1 to allow for a slide release buckle or the T-buckle/clamp buckle style and then in L2 requiring the T-buckle/clamp buckle style as the reference images show something different from a standard plastic slide one. I Google'd T-buckle and found some hits that show it somewhat similar to that one the reference images. I'm not sure about the rest of the text, we have a copy over from the Shadow Scout and Swamp Trooper.

Belt and Detonator

• Belt and TD are painted to match the rest of the armor.
  • The front and four "boxes" of the belt are made of hard material.
  • Hanging from the sides of the belt are hip boxes (drop boxes) connected to the belt by 1.5" (40mm) black textile straps.
  • Each drop box strap is threaded behind a black side release buckle, or T-buckle/clamp buckle, centered on the strap.
  • Attached to the back of the belt is a rectangular thermal detonator box with short black corrugated hose.
  • Accurate thermal detonator greeblies are attached to the box.
  • The rectangular part of the thermal detonator greeblie, fixed on the left side of the detonator, is the same as used in the rebel Endor trooper rank badge.
  • On the right hand side is the same round greeblie as used on the Scout tank topper.
  • See the detonator detail page for a close up image of the greeblies.
  • The TD box is secured by one single black tie wrap, with side buckle to fasten belt hidden under the box out of sight, or velcro fastening attached with 2" (50mm) black cotton or nylon belt secured on each end of the belt with a single rivet painted to match the rest of the armor.

• The belt is made from a one-piece construction with no visible gaps, and not separated with fabric in between sections, apart from at the back where the TD box sits. Making any joins in a 3 part belt seamless, is highly recommended.
  • The straps attached to the drop boxes to the belt are made from 1.5" (40mm) black cotton webbing.
    • Drop boxes hang the correct distance from the belt.
    • Nylon webbing is inaccurate.
  • The buckle on each drop box strap are a T-buckle/clamp buckle style, matching the reference photos.
  • Thermal Detonator end caps to be concave and not flat.
  • Optional: Thermal Detonator must have visible black clips attaching it to the web belt.
  • Optional: Thermal Detonator tube to be wire wrapped and not ribbed tube.
  • Optional: Thermal Detornator may have Hex shaped cap with a center "nipple" detail. 

Missed this one.  Seems good. Anyone aee anything needing adjustment?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Gree23 @Heavy to help out@IcyTrooper let’s wrap up this text this week if possible.  We really only have a couple pieces left since there shouldnt be any adjustments to blasters.  Cool?

Once this football game ends, I’ll hop in and start adjusting text in first post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @RAIDER and all.

The Knee Armor should be simple:

Knee Armor

• Knees are painted to match the rest of the armor.
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around the leg.
  • Knee may have 2 elastic straps securing the knee armor in place, with the top strap being smaller than the bottom, about 1/2" (12.7mm).
  • If a rivet is used to secure the second strap, it must be painted to match the rest of the armor, blending in with the knee paint.

• Knee armor has only one elastic strap measuring 1" (25.4mm) wide and passes through the bottom of the knee armor.
  • Like 2

Same with the neck seal and holster 

Neck Seal

Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Prohibited for a accurate style costume.

Holster

None is present.

• Like 2

@IcyTrooper @Heavy Those look good to me for knees and neck seal.  We put on boots that no holster is present so we can just remove the holster entry entirely I think.

No adjustments to blasters right?

If all that is good then @Gree23 that should mean everything is green and ready to be built.  Let's goooooooo!!!

• Like 2