New Magma Trooper for the Star Garrison and Special ops (picture heavy)

Hey Troops, I wanted to share pictures of my new costume that I just finished. It is one of the ultra rare Magma Troopers (part of special ops). I bought this kit off of ebay from a 501st member about a year ago. I got a great deal on it. I have been working on it for a long time. the kit had been hastily thrown together to make a Georgia bulldog trooper. The prior owner had riveted EVERYTHING together. To add to the problems, many of the rivets had caused cracks in the armor. So i had my work cut out for me. Red armor is tough to work with. it is translucent and turns orange when it is stressed. Fortunately any stressed or orange spots can be removed with a little heat from a heat gun. I started out by drilling out all of the rivets and removing all of the Georgia decals. I immediately had a challenge of patching all of the rivet holes. that is where i got a little bit creative. I took a hole punch and punched out red filler rounds from spare pieces. I then put one of the rounds into the hole. Next i used a soldering iron to melt the plastic round into the surrounding hole area. that did a good job of bonding things together but it made for an ugly surface. I then took sand paper from 300 grit to polishing grad of 20,000 grit and wet sanded out the spots until they were totally smooth. I had about 30 of these holes to fix. I then finished up with novis polish and finally car wax. The hole repairs are tough to spot but i can see every one of them since i have the most critical eye. Nobody notice them at the first troop unless i pointed them out. I am please with how they turned out. The rest of the armor was pretty straight forward. I took my time to make it very wearable. I also spent a great deal of time polishing out all the scratches from the previous owner. My boots are from TKboots. i used red high performance gloss enamel spray paint from rustuleum. the paint worked very well and is very flexible which was surprising. They are still in good shape after 4 hours of trooping and a very busy Dallas Comic Con. Here are some photos taken by a Jeff Brownlee, a local recruit. He did an awesome job. I know the Texas Flag Pauldrin is non-cannon but it really adds to the look and was extremely popular at the Comic Con. w_IMG_4183.jpgw_IMG_4185.jpgw_IMG_4190.jpgw_IMG_4196.jpgw_IMG_4223.jpgw_IMG_4242.jpgw_IMG_4273.jpg

Very nice job there! I remember the ebay pics of that thing. Definately took quite a bit of work.

Did you make the lenses interchangeable so you can go from canon black/dark green to the non-canon mirrored?

-iz

Very nice job there! I remember the ebay pics of that thing. Definately took quite a bit of work.

Did you make the lenses interchangeable so you can go from canon black/dark green to the non-canon mirrored?

-iz

Thank you Izzy!

I can add some black inserts if needed. However, I feel I followed the CRL as written with regard to approved lens color. I checked both the 501st CRL review forum that I have access to as part of the legion council and the CRL that is listed on special ops. in states that they may be silver in color. See below...

From the Special ops Magma CRL

http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/11-magma-troopers-lumiyas-troopers-crl/

* LENSES: Either opaque flat or bubbled helmet lenses are acceptable. May be Black, Smoke, Silver, or Dark Green in color. A spectator must not be able to see your eyes through the lenses when the helmet is worn.

Well that's a problem that wasn't caught. There aren't any references for silver lenses. That got stuck in there as it was an edited Blackhole Trooper Crl.

Sorry. I have the CRL corrected.

-iz

Well that's a problem that wasn't caught. There aren't any references for silver lenses. That got stuck in there as it was an edited Blackhole Trooper Crl.

Sorry. I have the CRL corrected.

-iz

So you changed it? I thought CRL changes had to be voted on by the detachment?

So you changed it? I thought CRL changes had to be voted on by the detachment?

CRLs consist of information gathered from our known visual references. They are not "created" how the detachment would like to see the costume, rather when a vote takes place, it is to see how the majority interprets the references.

There are times however, where no vote or interpretation insights are needed as the outcome would be the same regardless.

No one can claim that the lenses on the two visual references are silver. If we were to vote to leave the option of silver lenses, it would be removed by the LMOs from the CRL once they asked for a reference to support it.

If you do have an official LFL reference of a magma with mirrored lenses, please present it so we can place it back in.

-iz

Izzi is correct.

From The Detachment Leaders Survival Guide....

Editing and Setting up the CRL

The Costume Reference Library is an important step for new recruits as well as seasoned troopers. This point of reference should be found on the 501st Legion pages. Also it should be contained in the larger more detailed view on each Detachment Forum, available for public inspection.

This is all that is listed.

And this is from the CRL page on the Legion boards. http://www.501st.com...k/Costuming:CRL

Each reference guide contains pictures of the costume, a detailed description of the parts, and requirements for 501st membership. Below you will find a list of detachments and the costumes they manage. To find out more about building the costume, click on the detachment's visual guides link. Please be aware that this project is constantly growing and evolving. Check back often to see the latest entries!

Ultimately we report to the LMO's. If they say we have to make a change to our CRL's, then that change is getting made.

It is our fault for not catching this. Apparently is was wrong on the GML's CRL's also, which were written long ago. There is no issue with using the silver lenses at any non-canon event. They just need to be smoke/black for canon level events and approval.

In my personal opinion, I like the way it looks. But my opinion can't over-ride a lack of reference. Hope you understand.

oh wow i didnt even notice the lense was silver...maybe thats why the costume looked intriguing *shiny shiny shiny* =D....

personal opinion it makes me want to have red with silver lenses

CRL opinion =( no reference of it which makes me sad

Welcome fellow Magma. How many does that make now?? Great to see some more red in the awesome world of troopers that live in the shadows!!!!

Welcome fellow Magma. How many does that make now?? Great to see some more red in the awesome world of troopers that live in the shadows!!!!

I'm not sure of the numbers but I believe the legion now has six Magmatroopers. When izzi finishes his that will be seven.

In reference to the silver / reflective lenses, I've been wanting them for a long time. I just need to find a way to make them easily interchangeable so I can exchange them when necessary.

Welcome to the red ranks brother!

Always in motion the CRL is

I'm pretty sure that, with the upcoming BR release of the movies, even the most solid CRLs are going to change a little. The more details you get from a character, the more stuff is added to the CRL.

As for EU troopers, we have to stick to the known references.

I'm not 100 % sure but I think that the magma CRL has been written some time ago, while I was DL, my bad I didn't catch this flaw. Sorry about it izzi and Jim.

P.S. Jim, your magma look soooooo freaking cool!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Where did you get the Red Boots from ? Have been having no luck in my search unless you have european size 42 feet or smaller and buy from china :(

Fantastic work on your Magma Trooper, may the numbers grow.

• Like 1