izzi's eFX Shadow Stormtrooper Helmet Review

Okay, they say pictures say 1000 words, so first I'm going to let them do the talking:

DSCF1803.jpgDSCF1802.jpgDSCF1800.jpgDSCF1798.jpg

As you can see it's a beautiful shiny bucket! Nice glossy ABS plastic. Sturdy. The appearance of nice flat mirrored lenses. The flat black tube stripes are great with no need for changes. It has a flat black chin that also stands out well. The crown indents are gloss black, but flat black for these is a preference, not a requirement.

And just look at these beautiful Hovi mic tips!

DSCF1808.jpg

Seems like a dream come true!

Upon further inspection a few problems come to light...

I for one don't really like the "pinched" nose that it seems to have, but that's really just a preference I'll show later.

Unfortunately, it still has the big crack under the teeth as well as a smaller one across the front of the tube stripes. However, since the helmet is already black, it's hard to notice and I'm not sure it would be worth filling it in, as doing a spot paintjob over the filler would probably stand out just as much, if not more than the crack shows on it's own.

DSCF1805.jpg

The "mesh" behind the frown is more of a paper than a cloth. It'll probably fall apart eventually and doesn't look great anyway. If you're trooping in the helmet, swap this out.

DSCF1820.jpg

The inside of the helmet is a joke. Seriously, why do they even try to add padding. Tear it out and replace it with your choice of hard hat suspension or foam. Poking around in there, I found out how thin the lenses are as well. They work great, and your eyes won't be seen so it's not really an issue, but they seem sort of flimsy and may need to be replaced after some time of heavy trooping.

DSCF1821.jpg

COMPARISON SHOTS! Left to Right: FX, eFX, CAP-W Stunt.

From the front you can make out the "pinched" nose when it sits right next to the CAP-W helmet. I'm not really a fan of that look. You can also see that it's as tall as the FX, and almost as wide. This may give a more accurate alternative to all FX users out there, except for those with the most exceptionally large craniums, needed to guard their massive intellect. You can also see how the ears stick out of the eFX, unfortunately. Kind of detracts from the nice lines of an ST helmet. (Stop eyeing my beer in the background, too!) Also, as it was stated back when the MR helmets came out: When the TK helmets gain symmetry, something doesn't quite look right. The asymmetry present in the TKs and Vader helmets just helped sell the look to me.

DSCF1811.jpg

From the sides you can see that there aren't any screws visible on the earpiece. However, the FX helmet never had screws visible either and it's still perfectly acceptable, so unless you want to add that touch, I wouldn't bother, as I can't see the LMO ever requiring it. You can also see that this one has the little curve towards the bottom of the ears, where the FX just goes straight down. Also you can see how the slope of the dome is a little steep like the FX, where the CAP-W has a more even dome.

DSCF1813.jpg

Usually, flat lenses means stunt. However the frown in this would seem to speak more hero, so here are a couple shots of it next to my CAP-W hero that I use for my Nova. It looks pretty much the same as when compared to the stunt. Pinched nose and more of a downward slope of the dome. However nothing that screams, "inaccurate!"

DSCF1818.jpgDSCF1819.jpg

In closing, if you want a study bucket that you won't have to put alot of work into, or if you're going for a more accurate look for your larger head, go with the eFX. Though it's up to the LMO, I can't find a reason why one of these wouldn't be approve-able out of the box. (Well, if you had padding to add for your head) Ultimately that's up to the LMO though.

I personally have not found a reason to upgrade to eFX over my CAP-W. The eFX is going to make a kick butt display piece though, which is a good thing as that was my original intent for it.

Hope these pics help some people out when they're choosing what bucket they want to don with their TX armor.

-iz

Izzi - Thanks for the review and the pics. Looks like it'll suit my needs perfectly!

- In-expensive good look - Check

- No need of huge modding - Check

- Able to cover my "Orange on a toothpick" - Check

Now if only I could somehow influence the deities that preside over the Postal Service to get it here faster I'd be really happy.

I didn't realize that it was almost as big as the FX. I'll still use it instead as it's a little more accurate, but looks like I might want to get a CAP-W down the line. Thanks for the shots Iz.

I didn't realize that it was almost as big as the FX. I'll still use it instead as it's a little more accurate, but looks like I might want to get a CAP-W down the line. Thanks for the shots Iz.

Yeah, the eFX really is the perfect "mid sized" helmet in my opinion. However, since I've already put quite a bit of work into my CAP-Ws and they fit and look great (at least in my opinion) I won't be buying an eFX to troop in any time soon.

I like it!!

Too bad mine isn't here yet.

Thanx for the extensive review XO Great Work

Thanks, Fearless Leader!

soo thats why i could fit my glasses....i was wondering why lol...well maybe wont when i have the padding in

Yeah, I'm sure when you add the padding it'll change the fit. I could fit my glasses in it too, which is something I couldn't do with the old FX after I put in the suspension.

-iz

Padding and / or suspension liners are invaluable for people like me who's head will actually fit into an AP style helmet, but don't have the option. I could fit my luggage in the FX helmet without the liner, but since I've never seen, or heard of the smaller style helmet being pulled in red ABS I'll make use of the one (FX) that came with the kit. If I ever find a smaller one in red ABS I'll probably pee myself from excitement.

Padding and / or suspension liners are invaluable for people like me who's head will actually fit into an AP style helmet, but don't have the option. I could fit my luggage in the FX helmet without the liner, but since I've never seen, or heard of the smaller style helmet being pulled in red ABS I'll make use of the one (FX) that came with the kit. If I ever find a smaller one in red ABS I'll probably pee myself from excitement.

I think I found something to cure your bobble-head blues, bro. I'll do some tests after CV. :)

Ooh pretty iz... Love the shine on the outside pics, and the comparison pics rock too.. :)

Yeah you got to see this in person though. What did you think of it then?

-iz

Still waiting on mine. Been tracking it across the country and it finally hit Cincy last night, but they don't deliver on weekends. Looks like I'll be waiting until Monday. :angry:

Just got mine! Not much more to say that hasn't been posted. Except that maybe it feels a little less stable than I thought it would. The lenses are extremely clear to see out of, makes me wonder if my eyes will be visible from a photo flash. I do think it looks a lot better when sitting next to my FX. Only thing I plan on doing to it is changing frown mesh, adding a helmet liner and fans. I have a troop Wednesday, so hopefully I'll get this done by then and have a mission report for it. Oh, and mine is 128 of 501. B)

Got mine a few days ago ... and thanks to Izzi's review and comparison CAP-W regretablly is not a possibility for me ... Head = Too Big.

Really pleased with this lid - looks good out of the box and fits (a bit tight but that's all good).

I've got number 124

recived mine this past saturday

besides becoming a display piece

it will be used for trooping

ive waited to summit my TX in for appoval because the fx helmet doesnt look right on me (alittle bobblehead look)

for the price i find is good for the helmet when compaired to other helmets out there that sell for 300+

(got 2 kids and limited costume budject) and this was my daddy's day present from the kids

only thing i was wondering like the tk helmet do we need to add decials of the grey at the sides and back triangle ones ????

only thing i was wondering like the tk helmet do we need to add decials of the grey at the sides and back triangle ones ????

That is a personal preference. You could also paint them a flat black. I'm leaving mine as is though.

As Blackhole said "[it's] a personal preference" but I've just put some flat black decals on my eFX lid and it's looking pretty sharp.

I'll take some half decent pics and make a post tonight (hopefully).

Very good review and very fair. I got 3 so I'm very happy with this lid. Yes most of what could be said in the end are little things. I for one will wear it for trooping, and will leave one without any mod'ing just for display. I have on order a set of black Tupperware armour and think both should go well together.