RaiderNick's Blackhole

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't trimmed the sides yet so they still overlap and are way too big. I am going to cut them down and probably use the heat gun to bend them in a little because right now its too wide for me. Ill post some side shots once I trim it

My bucket arrived today, courtesy of ARAKYEL. He makes great helmets. It fits a lot better than the massive AM one.

Unfortunately I ran out of snaps so until the new ones come in the mail I can't do any more work on the armor, damn.

P1000455.jpg

P1000458.jpg

Since I don't have my snaps yet and thus can't work on my armor I decided to throw the AM bucket together just for fun. It is huge and inaccurate but it'll make a good display piece I guess.

On a side note, the head harness that comes with it SUCKS, I glued the clips for the headband inside like 5 times and they keep ripping out, even with abs cement.

P1000468.jpg

On a side note, the head harness that comes with it SUCKS, I glued the clips for the headband inside like 5 times and they keep ripping out, even with abs cement.

I used E6000 on those clips with overnight clamping and they have held up pretty good so far...

I used E6000 on those clips with overnight clamping and they have held up pretty good so far...

I can't reuse them now anyway the glue ruined them. If I was to sell it/give it away I'd need to get new clips first.

I actually got lucky, they are placed just perfectly for my head. I don't think I'll need to move or remove anything. To get the bucket on though I need to turn it sideways or I can't fit it over my head.

I actually got lucky, they are placed just perfectly for my head. I don't think I'll need to move or remove anything. To get the bucket on though I need to turn it sideways or I can't fit it over my head.

Both my TX and TK lids go on that way...:)

Me too, easiest way to put on a bucket, though I think I could have gotten my FX straight on, but not the Arakyel. Even if I didn't need to remove padding for fitting the bucket, I think I would have removed padding anyway for fan placement.

I think I would have removed padding anyway for fan placement.

I forgot about that, so maybe I will need to remove some if I want to get a couple of fans in there.

All the talk about the thermal det/o2 canister in the other post has got me thinking. I wanted a better one than the crappy AM one that comes in halves, so I ordered a better one from TK4702 on the FISD.

It is white and grey so I'll need to paint it black. What type of paint would you guys recommend that will stick well and not run or chip off over time. I see that Jim ordered the same one so maybe he can tell me how we went about painting it?

All the talk about the thermal det/o2 canister in the other post has got me thinking. I wanted a better one than the crappy AM one that comes in halves, so I ordered a better one from TK4702 on the FISD.

It is white and grey so I'll need to paint it black. What type of paint would you guys recommend that will stick well and not run or chip off over time. I see that Jim ordered the same one so maybe he can tell me how we went about painting it?

Id recommend get a high grit sand paper 1500+| just to give paint something to stick too. Prime it up and I will always vote for dupli color because IMO it's by far the best. Krylon is decent but I have had problems with bubbling. Just make sure you hit it good with a clear sealant and you should be fine.

Good call on the TD Nick! I'm a Krylon guy so I hit mine up with Krylon primer gray and then Krylon gloss black, that's it.

It turned out nicely...just watch how close you are to the TD. I try and keep about 10" away to keep those nasty bubbles from showing up. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Still no snaps in the mail so I figured I'd show you guys the hyperfirm e-11 I bought. I also have a leather holster and d-rings on order from the FISD.

P1000464.jpg

Nice, it is good to have something to bang against fellow troopers. The only problem I have seen with those is that eventually they can start to crack. That is likely way down the line though and you should be able to repair it. Great purchase!