Future Shadow scout, any final modifications required?

So I took my shadow scout armor for a test run at a very small con this weekend to see if it was troopable in (for long periods of time) as well as to break it in. I'm just curious however, since I've had on of my Garrison officers say that my cumberbund is green, but a bunch of other people say it's black, (and finally one other person whose a TX say that it's black but with a shade of green in it). While the cumberbund I had made from the person referred to me by Studio Creations (and she herself says it's black), I'm wondering what you guys think over here, as well as if I need to do any modifications to my Korpserkel helmet.

Please note that I will add the holster to the boots when I get the chance to as well, even if they are the Caboots variant.

Anyways, here's a photo of where it appears black as well as a photo of where it appears like some sort of very dark green, possibly due to the flash of the camera

an_interesting_conversation_by_zachg56-d59ylrj.jpg

a_new_contender_appears__by_zachg56-d59yjok.jpg

Ultimately, the approval is up to your Garrison Membership Liaison. If he thinks it is green, then it's green, right? Do you have a troop in upcoming in which you could show it in person? Maybe that would make the difference to the GML. My GML prefers to see costumes in person as photos can deceive. Otherwise, you could try dyeing the whole thing black to see if that darkens the pigment.

Oh he's seen it in person, when I took it to an armor party, we both had this inkling that it had a green hue to it but couldn't really say if it truly was or not.

What kind of dye should I get for it? Something I could just put into the wash and let it soak or something completely different? What do you recommend for doing so because I honestly do not want to spend another 110 bucks for a cummerbund when there is something a lot faster like dyeing it.

Everything else looks good though? GML says everything else is good, but I'm sort of wondering if the belt is still a bit big on me.

The KS kit is always big.... and if you are smaller in stature, then that will only exacerbate its enormity.

I'd say it does look a little big, but it's not me clearing it, it's your GML.

It's probably due to the fabric. I have some where in certain lights it looks purple (mainly in pictures), whereas its definitely black in the flesh.

You should be able to get some soak in dye.

something like this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYLON-HAND-DYE-50G-24-COLOURS-AVAILABLE-OR-500G-DYLON-SALT-GREAT-VALUE-/170720691108?pt=UK_Crafts_Fabric_Textiles_SM&var=&hash=item27bfbf03a4#ht_1160wt_1144

Or what ever you can get over your side of the pond.

Boiling water, bit of salt. Bung the cummerbund in and leave for an hour. Rinse and wash... done. Black as the inside of your hat!

As for the rest of it. I'd say you could do with pulling up your chest plate a little. The pouches seem to be trapped under the chest. And I'd pull your drop boxes up a touch (they should lie about 2-3" below the belt line).

But just me being picky.

Why don't you make your own boots??

The tutorial is easy to follow and they are good thing to have a bash at. They'll work out a damned sight cheaper than buying anything. Your base boot will cost about £20 (or $), vinyl will be about $6 for a metre, which is all you'll need and then it's about a metre of velcro and a tube of glue.

Velvet black I take it in terms of dye?

And the current GML thinks that the armor is fine on me, even if I am personnally going to get a MonCal belt for a better 'fit' so shall we say. That should also help with the belt boxes as well.

Currently going to put the cummerbund in the wash just to make sure something didn't bleed into it somehow....but it is safe to safe that the fabric is' black' then yeah?

In my opinion, Whatever it looks like in natural lighting, is what he color is considered. (In your case Black) The flash on cameras can play tricks by bringing out the underlying colors (Often makes blacks look purple, red or blue. This is the first time I've seen green, but it's not surprising.).

-iz

For the cost of about $10, Mike at TrooperBay will do a really snazzy set of satin/gloss combination decals for the Shadow Scout bucket.

He did mine ( i requested the two tone satin / gloss as a special order ) and they are just excellent.

For the cost of about $10, Mike at TrooperBay will do a really snazzy set of satin/gloss combination decals for the Shadow Scout bucket.

He did mine ( i requested the two tone satin / gloss as a special order ) and they are just excellent.

That would be trooperbay.com? And I presume I can remove the old decals via the age old recommendaed scratch remover (can't remember what it;s called) everyone loves?

Rest assured Zach, I can always be on hand to provide the obvious answer!

To be honest, it's a doddle.

Just mask off the rest of the lid with a stack of news paper or masking sheet (if you've got it lying about), and some decent masking tape, so you don't accidentally get over-spray on the rest of your bucket.

Lightly dust over the snout bit with your desired colour. If you're planning on getting Mike's decals, then I suggest getting either a Gloss or Satin black paint to match the decals.

Rock and roll!

I'm going Gloss Black, and gonna paint over it with a brush, instead of spraying it (unless it is a spray), and sand it as well.

Course this will be done at the next armor party, since the current GML just wants me to dye my cummerbund black....and because it will be a while before I get them.

• 3 weeks later...

Cummerbund has been dyed to be completely black....Here are the results of it....Helmet still has the original decals as I didn't get them till after I left for the con, and yeah I know...still need to add that holster on, gotta find the leather hole puncher I have cause I can't seem to find it. In comparison to pre-dye state, I do have to admit that while it does have some green still left to it when holding it at eye level, it does now look a lot more like it truly is a shade of black. Thoughts?

photo_oooooop_by_zachg56-d5d1vf5.jpg

Looks pretty good. See if you can find some foam or something to place within the pouches. You might also raise your belt boxes just a tad too. These are cosmetic recommendations that will help to tighten your appearance. Great job so far! :)

Looks pretty good. See if you can find some foam or something to place within the pouches. You might also raise your belt boxes just a tad too. These are cosmetic recommendations that will help to tighten your appearance. Great job so far! :)

WHat I've been doing is filling the pouches out with my camera, phone, and other stuff, it works wonders at cons because everything is right there. I'm actually thinking about getting a MonCal belt as well so I have a smaller scaled belt that doesn't have the plastic completely wrapping around me. Or do you all think that the current belt meets requirements at the time?

Edit: For your viewing pleasure...Dr. Who cross over!

scout_using_the_police_box_2_by_zachg56-d5coslu.jpg

Cool, I keep a little foam block in my pouches to help them stay square. The KS belt is fine and is one-piece so that's a plus. The only issue with KS is the larger boxes but that should not affect approval at all. Just raise them up a little bit more. :)

I'll see what I can do, thanks for the help boss

edit: I'm also going to work something out with FarAwayCreations in a sort of custom project/armor that people have been giving their thumbs up for in bringing to life...hopefully we can do a bang up job for that as well.