magma-izzi Take 2!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you want to consider this, but if it saves you any extra work we could trade thigh pieces so you don't have to extend a second set.

I've thought about asking you about that, except I'm not sure how well the ABS will take being heated and expanded again. I don't want to ruin a pair of magma thighs by messing with them too much. Anyway, It's just more practice, right?

-iz

• 2 months later...

After I saw this for the first time, I started to look around to see if I could find anybody who might be making this things out of red abs. And I found someone on the UK (Missa Thinks), kind of expensive, at least for my pocket.

The problem is that I am not sure how good of an armor it would be, but the guy said he could get the plastic and make the kit.

Can you imagine, 10 or 20 of this red things walking down the street!!!!! Ufffffffff. :thumbsup:

How hard would it be to get some red ABS to make some kits? Anyone?

Red ABS is a special order kind of thing here in the states, so it's pretty pricey. I have a feeling the reason why a second run never occurred was because of the amount of cash invested vs. the demand.

-iz

Our local armorer is having trouble sourcing black ABS and he said it would be the same with any other special colored ABS, you can only buy it from the manufacturer's by the tonne, which is reeeealllly pricey and unless you have a use for a tonne of plastic, there isn't much of a point to buying it. Usually these guys contact the people who purchase off of the manufacturer to see if they have some plastic to spare, which is usually the case, but the initial outlay for the tonne of ABS makes it unjustifiable, not to mention finding someone who's bought red ABS is like searching for a needle in a haystack. Just need someone with alot of cash to join the detachment :)

There has to be some red plastic somewhere!!!!

Is like everything else that is extremely cool, it is just very hard to find.

I'm doing extensive research trying to find some, I thought I did, but it was the wrong gauge. :6:<_<

• 2 weeks later...

Posts on the 501st forums point towards taking a white TK to "an auto body shop and have them paint it with a few coats of automotive paint and clearcoat?", IanL (501st Legion Forums). Or better yet, I really think this is a GREAT idea is "... to get a set of black armour, then paint it red... Any scratches that come through will be black, so look better as battle damage. ...", MarkG (501st Legion Forums).

Posts on the 501st forums point towards taking a white TK to "an auto body shop and have them paint it with a few coats of automotive paint and clearcoat?", IanL (501st Legion Forums). Or better yet, I really think this is a GREAT idea is "... to get a set of black armour, then paint it red... Any scratches that come through will be black, so look better as battle damage. ...", MarkG (501st Legion Forums).

Auto body paint is pretty durable, so I don't think white armor would be a problem. And it would be cheaper to replace parts down the line as well and have them atch up if scratched... Unless you were having them paint a CAP-W... I'm sure parts for that will be around awhile.

-iz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay. I actually did something on this today. I'll post pics later. It was mainly gluing the helmet and the fix to the backplate and cleaning more gunk off.

-iz

If you need any help or tips, we're all here for you :thumbsup::teehee:

If you need any help or tips, we're all here for you :thumbsup::teehee:

I've only restored armor that was not quite this bad, once before (See take 1)... So I'll probably be trolling the boards for ideas! :teehee:

And pics.

Stuff glueing:

DSCF2082.jpg

Thigh shims created.

DSCF2083.jpg

The rest of the work was a lot of goo gone, razor blades and shop towels.

-iz

Okay, did some stuff last night and today.

Took some scraps and stared to make a replacement shoulder piece for the back plate:

DSCF2087.jpg

Finished gluing the back of the helmet together:

DSCF2088.jpg

One thigh down and I love magnets:

DSCF2089.jpg

Last bit of one thigh, started on the shim to the other thigh, and the biceps:

DSCF2091.jpg

And cleaned up the shoulder. When I find some matching paint, I'll fill in the cracks and paint it nicely, until then no worries, that's the pauldron shoulder anyway! :teehee:

DSCF2093.jpg

Forgot to cut the cod from the ab plate today, but the second thigh's glue is drying as I type and once I finish that, I'll be pounding snaps to rig the body. I did attach the ears to the helmet so, now that I know I didn't mess everything up, I just need to start drilling the teeth out and adding lenses and the finishing touches. I'll need to see if Scootch has any mic tips in stock too.

Anyway, one more red suit well on it's way to being restored for the service of the Empire!

-iz

• 3 weeks later...