New Shadow Stormtrooper Build

I've been posting my progress photos on FISD but thought I should probably put them on Spec Ops as well since it is a TX I am building.

I finally got the "brown box of goodies" about 2 weeks ago. I've been working on it on and off since then, with the help of my son (Vader Rocks), so I thought i'd share my progress with you all. Any and all comments are welcomed.

IMG_0839_zpsf725cdb0.jpg

The biceps and forearms we finished last weekend. The person I got it from had already started trimming and assembling the forearms, but we had to disassemble and redo.

IMG_0815_zps0256dc1b.jpg

The thighs and shins we have set up to cure for the evening.

IMG_0838_zps42827b17.jpg

I was working on fitting the thighs and shins today and ran into a bit of a snag.

The shins keep riding up on the boots to the point where they come up over the top of the boot. Does anyone know of a solution for that to stop happening? Also what is the standard for how high on the knee they should be? I want to be sure before I begin cutting.

On the thighs it looks like a lot (almost 3 to 4 inches) needs to be cut off the top, but before I do I wanted to make sure I am measuring correctly. Where should the top of the thigh go to and how far down on the knee should it go?

Thanks.

I put a stirrup in my shin pieces so they don't ride up on me. My boots are the Bass Amsterdam. I put the shin piece on and step into the boot and push the edges of the boot under the shin piece. I have a velcro closure on the backs though so it helps to leave it open until the boot is in place. I am not sure how this would work on a closed shin.

Leave the velcro on the back of the shin. Some troopers actually put velcro on the boot and shin to keep it in place on those bass amsterdams. As far as the thigh goes, It should at the minimum hit just above the top of the knee, and can go as far down as covering most of the knee. Depends on the level of accuracy you want vs. your comfort.

-iz

I do have the Bass Amsterdam boots so I will try the strip of velcro to see how that works. Right now the thighs are just about mid knee but I can't bend my knee to walk or maneuver around. Can the back of the thigh be trimmed at the knee or is it best to shorten them to just above the knee?

The Bass Amsterdams are less than ideal. I just replaced mine with shires woodstock jodphurs. They are higher and don't require a combination of snaps and velcro just to keep them from popping out. If you can still return the amsterdams you would be better off with the other boots.

I do have the Bass Amsterdam boots so I will try the strip of velcro to see how that works. Right now the thighs are just about mid knee but I can't bend my knee to walk or maneuver around. Can the back of the thigh be trimmed at the knee or is it best to shorten them to just above the knee?

You can trim the thigh plates behind the knee, as it was seen that way on film. I personally discourage it, just because of my thoughts on how it should look but you should build our armor to your taste. I prefer trimming the top of the thigh a bit and raising them so you can bend your leg enough. Just remember that you will never have awesome flexibility. Your movements will (and should) always be hindered a bit from the armor.

-iz

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone,

As I recently posted in my "welcome thread", i've been working with my dad to get this TX built. We've gone from a list of 16 items left from our last session and knocked off five items this afternoon. Hit a little snag here at the end of the day though, not sure if anyone can shed a little insight.

We're working on strapping everything together. Problem is: when holding the back in position it sets great, the chest piece seems to fit against him great (top of shoulders were originally going straight back and digging into his shoulders, we trimmed and slightly bent them upward with some heat), but now with both pieces attached with shoulder strapping, the back shoulder seems to stick up about an inch above the chest shoulder section.

If we pick up on the chest piece to looking even, there's a gap between the ab and chest piece now. Kind of at a stopping point for the moment, but didn't know if anyone else has hit this snag. We're not "typical" stormtrooper size, we are bigger, but I think we can get this.

Also, i've seen multiple posts on here that kind of remind folks that this is not the FISD, just wondering if the return edge requirements and things were any different or the same guidelines should follow??

We're working on strapping everything together. Problem is: when holding the back in position it sets great, the chest piece seems to fit against him great (top of shoulders were originally going straight back and digging into his shoulders, we trimmed and slightly bent them upward with some heat), but now with both pieces attached with shoulder strapping, the back shoulder seems to stick up about an inch above the chest shoulder section.

If you can show us some pics, that could help me try to help you. Hopefully we can get you squared away ASAP!

Thanks for the quick reply Peter. Here's some photos that help explain our question.

IMG_2216_zps6f6d639a.jpg

IMG_2218_zps3afb9d38.jpg

IMG_2217_zps40adfddd.jpg

IMG_2220_zps6c25ec9a.jpg

I know jeans and t-shirt can through things off, but I think we've got more than that going on. Fitting was done with undersuit on earlier today.

Here what I recommend: move your connection point on the back armor closer to the shoulder. That will pull the plastic strap down more. It also will lower the chest. Are you as trapping the chest to the ab plate? I recommend three elastic straps connect the chest to the abdomen. That will likely keep the overlap you need.

If all else fails, gently warm up that back plate shoulder appendage so that it conforms to the shoulder more.

As for return edge, unless you are doing a ROTJ TK variant, it isn't required anywhere.

Thanks for the help. Yes, we've got the chest strapped to the ab, but currently with only two straps.

Was wondering about the return edges since I think we may end up having to shorten the back, ab or buttplate to fit nicely. Is there one recommended more than another to "shorten/adjust" first??

I shortened the back and kidney plate, and made new return edges on them. I also shortened the chest armor. The butt plate and ab was the only ones I did not shorten.

Making new return edges was not easy, but luckily I'm a patient guy, so I finally managed to teach myself how to do it.

Edit: I had similar problems with getting the parts over the shoulder to line up, so I ended up heating up and reshaping the top of the back armor to get the right angles.

Here what I recommend: move your connection point on the back armor closer to the shoulder. That will pull the plastic strap down more. It also will lower the chest. Are you as trapping the chest to the ab plate? I recommend three elastic straps connect the chest to the abdomen. That will likely keep the overlap you need.

If all else fails, gently warm up that back plate shoulder appendage so that it conforms to the shoulder more.

As for return edge, unless you are doing a ROTJ TK variant, it isn't required anywhere.

Sorry for not getting back to you in time Jim, this thread got lil buried and I forgot about looking for it until tonight. What Toddo suggested is exactly what I would recommend. Here are some pics to help.. (A tut is coming soon for this BTW)

FRONT CHEST - No matter where you cut if at all, just make sure its at the end.

IMG_1184.jpg

THE BACK

IMG_1179.jpg

Trust me its trial and error.. even with that it still took tweaking and looking until it was right.. here is proof of one of my first test runs.

DSC_0144.jpg

and with a little effort..will eventually look like this

DSC_0235_zps7f0816ff.jpg

aghhh I see something else... I was going to suggest to move the front chest plate back more, but it looks like its already pretty much slicing your neck in 1/2... .so you may also need to trim down the neck area. BUt this also may mean to cut the Cod and but portions off as well... But lets not get crazy here.. Bu this is the best pic I could find of my Cod peice cut off... it helps for mobility and may help you out as well...

IMG_0922.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a little while since we've posted, but with doing a little here and little there I think we're in the home stretch. Here's a couple photos we tooke today, lighting not the best with the dark armor and all. We're shooting to finish the build this week and be able to submit my dad's application for his 501st approval by the weekend. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel and he's getting excited to be joining the legion.

IMG_2331_zps80155694.jpg

IMG_2333_zps23e7ac8b.jpg

I'd recommend a few things.

The gap between the chest and ab plate is too large. You'll probably want to raise the ab plate, lower the chest plate, or maybe do both.

The shins look a little low as well, and make sure that the sniper plate doesn't get stuck under the thigh.

Do you have a belt, TD, and drop boxes? Also, do you have a neckseal or balaclava?

Those minor things aside, a big congratulations on assembling the armor! The process seems a bit daunting, but you did it!

- Master Tej -

Thanks Nick

Yep, still working on mastering the strapping to get the ab height perfect. My mom made him his belt today and now its just a matter of attaching the the plastic to the belt, installing the drop boxes and mounting up the holster. He received his holster and neckseal from Darman a month or so ago. TD is built and assembled, he's looking into how he wants to attach it to the belt. I used money clips for my TK TD but had a hard time finding the ones I did use. So not sure if he's gonna search for those or purchase a set of TD clips off the FISD boards.

Sorry for not getting back to you in time Jim, this thread got lil buried and I forgot about looking for it until tonight. What Toddo suggested is exactly what I would recommend. Here are some pics to help.. (A tut is coming soon for this BTW)

FRONT CHEST - No matter where you cut if at all, just make sure its at the end.

IMG_1184.jpg

THE BACK

IMG_1179.jpg

Trust me its trial and error.. even with that it still took tweaking and looking until it was right.. here is proof of one of my first test runs.

DSC_0144.jpg

and with a little effort..will eventually look like this

DSC_0235_zps7f0816ff.jpg

Is that a black zip-tie i see or am i seeing things on the shoulder ? Just wondering because i had a similar problem, i heated it with a heat gun and "manipulated" the little bugger down where it should be.