New Shadowtrooper kit

Hello all,

I'm a prospective member of the 501st, I'm a current member of the Rebel Legion (Galen Marek on the RL forums). I have a co-worker who recently bought a shadowtrooper kit thinking it was supposed to be a completed kit. However it turned out to be a raw kit. He is now trying to sell it to me now. I have been wanting to build a Shadowtrooper for a long time now, but I do have some concerns about the kit. He says that the kit is fiberglass. Its either molded in color or painted a gloss/semi-gloss black already. the helmet is already assembled with foam, chinstrap, and black lenses installed. Below is the kit in question. So, as I donot know much about TK/TX kits judging by the pic, does this appear to be a decent/viable kit to buy? He is asking $300 for the kit. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

ae01175ca923233a3ff6_2.jpg

the helmet I can't speak for. Sometimes buckets look to be oddly shaped when photographed at angles. The armor looks like recast FX. As always, approval has more to do with how you assemble the kit than the make of the kit. This kit could be constructed to meet 501st approval. I'd love to see another angle on the helmet though. I think for the kit, especially if the helmet works out ok, $300 is a decent price.

I can't believe nobody else chimed in here. This kit is definitely recast fx. It looks EXTREMELY thin and flimsy and the details are soft. Even though it is so cheap, I don't think the price makes up for it's quality. I don't think it's going to hold up and in the long run you may not be happy with it. I would advise against it.

It does look like a recast FX kit. The details look good enough though. I rock an FX kit, but I have made changes for accuracy. No worries there, that's good enough for approval. I doubt anything but the helmet is fiberglass. Nothing wrong with fiberglass other than it's heavy. Might get a little tough to troop with after a half hour or so. 300 isn't a bad price for this at all. It's a start and you can always upgrade over time.

Ya, I agree with Nick and Josh, it's a recast. In fact, the guy who made the kit lives pretty close to where I work here in Dallas, TX. He's known for posting sub-par stuff on eBay. It's usually poor quality and the fiber glass cracks and breaks. But, for $300, the armor may work for you. I'd get a new bucket though and either toss or sell that one if you get it.

Are the actual armor pieces fiberglass? That would be a pain to trim.

That's why I said he shouldn't get it. The actual pieces look like fiberglass. That makes trimming it extremely difficult. It'll chip and crack over time, also it has no return edges at all...

Thank you all for the input. Considering my lack of experience with armor kits, I won't be getting this set. It now looks like a risky gamble that I can't afford to fail.

I have found a set on ebay made of ABS plastic from mypropcollection for a grand total of $421.50. It's an amazing looking kit, but it doesnt include a helmet. Is this kit worth buying even without the helmet?

the guy says it would be 450 plus shipping for the above kit with a helmet. is that too much or a good price?

Like several people have said(including me), it is recast and some of the parts look like they are "bowing" in. Besides that, if it is all fiberglass, it's a terrible buy simply because of that. Fiberglass isn't flexible and will chip and crack over time. I would stay away from it as for that price you can get an ata kit or am(sans the helmet).

Like several people have said(including me), it is recast and some of the parts look like they are "bowing" in. Besides that, if it is all fiberglass, it's a terrible buy simply because of that. Fiberglass isn't flexible and will chip and crack over time. I would stay away from it as for that price you can get an ata kit or am(sans the helmet).

no, i was referencing a different kit from a different seller on ebay that looks much better. This kit.

ATA: ATAworks@yahoo.com

AM: troopergear@gmail.com and tupperwaretk@yahoo.com

Ok the auction says it's an AM kit, and I can say 100% for sure that by looking at it that it IS an AM kit. However, I don't know if its a legion member selling it or some random person selling recast kits under the AM name.

However, if you got that kit/AM kit you would need to replace the helmet anyway. ATA is more accurate and better priced, plus you can use the helmet. I would recommend you contact them.

Thank you all for the input. Considering my lack of experience with armor kits, I won't be getting this set. It now looks like a risky gamble that I can't afford to fail.

I have found a set on ebay made of ABS plastic from mypropcollection for a grand total of $421.50. It's an amazing looking kit, but it doesnt include a helmet. Is this kit worth buying even without the helmet?

It's a decent starter kit, but not really all that accurate (compared to the onscreen troopers). I agree with Nick, it's a mixture recast of FX and AM parts and would require some work and trimming to get it right. For the money, you're better off going with ATA as recommended. Also, if you want a really good helmet to go with it, check this post out: http://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/1366-fs-at-anh-stunt-buckets/page__fromsearch__1

That kit is an AM kit, and at a great price. The pics look almost to a T the way that SA's did back when I bought my FX from them and its shipping from the same place.

I'm referencing the kit at $370.00

Mypropcollection is AM. He sells the extra stuff not sold on the tkboots site. AM, tupperwaretk, mypropcollection, tkboots are all the same guy. it comes with all hand plates and no helmet. It runs that price because they're already made and are in less demand than the white which has a waiting list. get an ATA helmet or one from arakyel

Can you paint these kits White? I have thought about that, and for the price worth it. I love the AM kit is STRONG in construction. The HIPS stuff looks way to flimsy, but uch more scren accurate. Depends, but would like to know anyone has painted these White and go TK with it. No waiting.