Aquatic Assault Trooper Helmet Build

Yep, another build (it's a smaller one). Scubacat poked me at Celebration about doing this particular trooper. I told her, I'd gladly make up the helmet for this trooper. So here we go!

I love having a 3D model to work with, so here's the first version I made up this morning. Still working on the faceplate, nothing is quite working out yet with there.

Seatrooper_zpsvtzmwhe4.png

So here's the start of a new project! Going to work on the 3D model a bit while I work on other things, don't expect the actual physical build for awhile though.

Fivezero

:D

• Like 3

No! Shadow Trooper!

Just kidding, Ty. This thing looks pretty awesome.

Don't worry Steve, forgot to tell you at Celebration, but the Shadow Trooper is getting finished up soon (as in the next week)! :thumbsup: I'm working on the 3D model right now for this helmet in between studying and exams. After the Shadow Trooper and the Shocktrooper are pretty much wrapped up, I'll get started on the actual physical sculpt for this helmet. :)

Speaking of 3D model, after many different iterations, finally got something that halfway resembles the face on this helmet. It still isn't perfect, but it is something that I can work and fine tune in the real world.

Rough faceplate.

bucket%203_zpsuhr69r2a.png

Fine tuning in Sketchup. Sketchup allows you to actually play the edges/vertices a little more, to create some better shapes manually.

bucket%202_zpstovklb9z.png

Again, it is still not exactly where I would like it, but it should do when I get to sculpting it in the real world.

Fivezero

• Like 4

I am so ready to try to write a CRL for this to earn my pin!

Get drafting and send it to me and to Chef. We can move from there.

Well it seems like the desire to get this one done is gathering momentum.

Funnily enough I started rough sculpting the lid last night. Haven't got far yet but will post some pictures as it progresses. I am looking forward to seeing how yours progresses too :)

Interestingly I am using the WEG front cover image as the basis for my sculpt rather than the close up sketch as IMO the front cover image looks to be better proportioned. I'm interested to know where the close up sketch came from and whether it is considered to be more representative?

Below is the image that I am referring to as the close up sketch.

Seatroopers2.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm using a bit of everything from the photos along with some of the photos from Tachyon's build for reference. There's still going to be some changes made to the helmet. I've already had to squish the helmet in a bit since it was too wide in my initial modelling. There will be more changes and fine tuning once the physical sculpt starts. The whole face of the helmet is really just kinda placeholder for me to sculpt and mess with in real life.

Can't wait to see how your helmet progresses as well!! :thumbsup:

Fivezero

• Like 1

Knowing the LMO process, I would advise that people try to stick to one consistent reference.

Using the WEG pictures is likely to produce the best results when it comes to a final submission.

The last thing you'll want is the LMO's knocking it back because it isn't consistent with the references, especially after you'll have put in a stack of hard work.

• Like 2

Yeah, I just took another good look at my references, and I've been using the WEG pictures exclusively. I for some reason thought a couple of them weren't WEG pictures. I glossed over the other pictures since there aren't full 360 pics of those particular suits. Thanks for pointing that out Chef! :thumbsup:

I started to look over some of the pictures that I could find and have been trying to jot a few notes down to eventually help write a CRL. I may have also found the right flippers that I can modify to flip up when walking. They can be kicked down for pics or when in use.

Is it bad that I want to try to make this armor actually functional? :P

Also when Ty and I were messing around the one day at celebration, we came across a few awesome figures.

690011439fb743f335977f43b4a739b7.jpg

7646cd3e07eb9f3922e3145ba7511f35.jpg

86168e25dfc44b30a2c7d4b469a0df83.jpg

One is an alternate EVO coloring and the other is the Jumptrooper from the Force Unleashed. The Jumptrooper is basically a modified EVO with a jetpack. :D

• Like 2
One is an alternate EVO coloring and the other is the Jumptrooper from the Force Unleashed. The Jumptrooper is basically a modified EVO with a jetpack. :D

I dig both of them.

• Like 2

Yeah they are both awesome. We could say that the one is a camo version, but I really like the jumptrooper. Might have to get that one done myself. :)

Well, damn. Now Ty has to make both of them.

- Master Tej -

Oh you... Nah, if someone else wants to try out the "Camo" EVO feel free. I already have one, don't want another quite yet (too many other troopers to make). As for the Jumptrooper, it's been on the radar, but since it's similar to the EVO (same parts with some other details and other parts) it's been kinda at the bottom of the future trooper list (i.e. all yours Torri!).

Back to the Aquatic Assault Trooper, still doing a few edits to the faceplate. For fun I threw the model into Pep. to see what nightmare awaits me. Not too bad but every blue line is a cut I have to make/line to glue together. It's ugly and not very organized, going to take awhile to manually organize all that mess. :P

Seatrooper%20Pep_zpsqsmyzqj2.png

Fivezero

• Like 1

Awesome! Just have to get a hold of some EVO parts to modify them for a jumptrooper. ;)

Looks like you have your work cut out for you Ty on that helmet. Sorry it is going to be difficult. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Progress! Everything is all sorted out for Pepakura and printed off!

DSCF0005_zpsiybbbqi4.jpg

And everything is all cut out! Next step glue it together, then resin, then pour some plaster to sculpt!

DSCF0008_zps92lshjup.jpg

Fivezero