Toddo's Draft

Costume Reference Library

First Order Flametrooper

Description: First Order Flametrooper

Prefix: TX

Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment

Context: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• The helmet is gloss white with black trim
  • The lens is smoky gray in color and must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.
  • A pair of silver aerator/mic tip are present on either side of the chin.
  • There is a black groove above the brow.
  • There are two thin, thin black grooves near the frown that circumnavigate the helmet. The lower groove contains a black parallelogram on either side of the helmet.
  • A thicker black groove circumnavigates the lower part of the helmet from the outer edge of each aerator.

Neckseal

For 501st approval:

• Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck. No hair or skin should be visible around the neck area.
  • Chest Plate
  • For 501st approval:
  • The chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate
  • The center-top of the chest plate contains a recessed, black groove.
  • There is a right-angle indentation on either side of the groove.
  • There are two wings that attach beneath the lower section of the chest plate on either side.
  • Back
  • For 501st approval:
  • The back plate must appear to attach to the chest behind the shoulder with two screw-like heads on each side of the back plate side of the seam.

Shoulder Bells

For 501st approval:

• One on each shoulder.
  • The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical. They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.
  • Shoulders have small round extension at the top under the bell itself that butts up against the chest plate.

Biceps

• For 501st approval:
  • Biceps have visible seams on the front and rear. Black material may be present between the seams.
  • Elbow Gaskets
  • For 501st approval:
  • Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges
  • The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the bicep and forearm

Forearms

For 501st approval:

• Forearms shall have have ridged rail, similar to a picatinny, embedded on the inside of the forearm, roughly covered 1/3rd by a the box.
  • Forearms shall have a box on the bottom the wrist end with a single black square in the lower inside corner.
  • Detail box includes a black rectangle on small edge perpendicular and closest to wrist.
  • Forearms must have a visible seam along the outside of the forearm, with roughly a 1 cm recessed gap.
  • Forearms must have a visible seam along the inside of the forearm.
  • Gloves/Hand Plates
  • For 501st approval:
  • Are black with white palm, thumb and forefinger.
  • Extend underneath the forearm.
  • White area is made from leather or leather-like material.
  • Handplates are rigid square boxes and the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the gloves.
  • The black oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand.

Abdomen Section

For 501st approval:

• The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body.
  • The abdomen consists of two separate sections: the upper plate, and the lower plate which rests beneath the belt.
  • The upper section has a half-moon downward curve in the bottom-middle of the plate, half moon upward curved recessed area at the top of the plate, and two vertical grooves on either side of the half-moon.

Belt

For 501st approval:

• The belt is ribbed and made from a rubber or a rubber like material
  • There are 2 horizontal boxes on the front, on each side of the center. They are painted white on the outside half and black on the inside half.
  • There is a large vertical white pouch with a cover behind the left side of the wearer.

Codpiece

For 501st approval:

• The codpiece sits below the abdomen and under the belt and has a recessed rectangular areas on either side.

Posterior Armor

For 501st approval:

• The posterior armor sits below the abdomen and under the belt and has a rectangular recessed area along the top center.

Undersuit

For 501st approval:

• An undergarment must be worn such that all areas not covered by armor or gaskets show a black material. The black material may be shiny or matte.

Thighs

For 501st approval:

• Two flaps rest independently on the back of the thigh below the posterior and above the thigh armor.
  • There are seams on the inside and outside of the thighs.
  • The right thigh (to the wearer) includes a band of black elastic approximately 1 1/2 inches wide that contains 3 black capsules.
  • The right thigh contains a horizontal series of seamless boxes above the knee
  • The right thigh has a small knee plate attached.
  • The left thigh has a larger knee plate attached with two black notches above it.

Knee Gaskets

For 501st approval:

• Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges.
  • The knee gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the thigh and shin.

Shins

For 501st approval:

• There are seams on the inside and outside of the shins.
  • The wearer's left outside shin includes two vertical thin boxes.

Spats

For 501st approval:

• The spats are in two pieces that wrap around the lower ankle.
  • The spats are attached to a black material that covers the top portion of the boots.

Boots

For 501st approval:

• TK boots are allowed
  • If other boots are used:
  • The boots are above ankle height and made of white leather or leather-like material
  • There is a black flat sole with no heel
  • No buckles or laces

Fuel Pack

For 501st approval:

• The pack consists of a rectangular frame, two large tanks, and one smaller tank in between the larger tanks.
  • The large right tank and the smaller middle tank both contain red, circular indentations in the top and bottom domes.
  • The middle tank's top dome is painted black.
  • All three tanks are contained in a black horizontal harness.
  • To the right of the middle tank is a small rectangle box that contains “OII” on its face. The top of the box has a black antenna.
  • At the top of the frame is a fuel gauge.

Optional Accessories

Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present appear as described below.

First Order Flamethrower

For 501st approval:

• Details to be painted black and white per reference photos.
  • The flamethrower connects to the fuel pack with a black mesh hose.

• 10 months later...

So here is my first draft of the Flametrooper CRL. I figure it's time to get the ball rolling. Let's get some healthy discussion going for the CRL, but remember that the current goal is to make the CRL accurate but easily attainable. Here we go:

Costume Reference Library

First Order Flametrooper

Description: First Order Flametrooper

Prefix: TX

Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment

Context: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• The helmet is gloss white with black trim

• The lens is smoky gray in color and must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes

• A pair of silver aerator/mic tip are present on either side of the chin.

• There is a black groove above the brow.

• There are two thin, thin black grooves near the frown that circumnavigate the helmet. The lower groove contains a black parallelogram on either side of the helmet.

• A thicker black groove circumnavigates the lower part of the helmet from the outer edge of each aerator.

Neckseal

For 501st approval:

• Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck. No hair or skin should be visible around the neck area

Chest Plate

For 501st approval:

• The chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate

• The center-top of the chest plate contains a recessed, black groove.

• There is a right-angle indentation on either side of the groove.

• There are two wings that attach beneath the lower section of the chest plate on either side.

Back

For 501st approval:

• The back plate must appear to attach to the chest behind the shoulder using rivets or Chicago screws.

Shoulder Gaskets

For 501st approval:

• The shoulder gaskets must cover all exposed areas under the shoulder bell, between the bicep and chest, and between bicep and back.

Shoulder Bells

For 501st approval:

• One on each shoulder.

• The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical. They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.

• Shoulders have small round extension at the top under the bell itself that butts up against the chest plate.

Biceps

For 501st approval:

• Biceps have visible seams on the front and rear. Black material may be present between the seams.

Elbow Gaskets

For 501st approval:

• The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the bicep and forearm

Forearms

For 501st approval:

• Forearms shall have have ridged rail, similar to a picatinny, embedded on the inside of the forearm, roughly covered 1/3rd by a box shape.

• Forearms shall have a box on the bottom the wrist end. Each box shall have a single black square in the lower inside corner.

• Detail box includes a black rectangle on small edge perpendicular and closest to wrist.

Gloves/Handplates

For 501st approval:

• All black

• Extend underneath the forearm

• Palm, thumb and forefinger area is made from leather or leather-like material

• Handplates are rigid square boxes and the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove

• The oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand

Abdomen Section

For 501st approval:

• The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body.

• The abdomen consists of two separate sections: the upper plate, and the lower plate which rests beneath the belt.

• The upper section has a half-moon curve in the bottom-middle of the plate and two vertical grooves on either side of the half-moon.

Belt

For 501st approval:

• The belt is ribbed and made from a rubber or a rubber like material

• There are 2 horizontal boxes on the front, on each side of the center. They are painted white on the outside half and black on the inside half.

• There is a large vertical white pouch with a cover behind the left side of the wearer.

Codpiece

For 501st approval:

• The codpeice sits below the abdomen and under the belt

Posterior Armor

For 501st approval:

• The posterior armor sits below the abdomen and under the belt

Undersuit

For 501st approval:

• An undergarment must be worn such that the space between the thighs and the belt shows a black material. The black material may be shiny or matte.

Thighs

For 501st approval:

• Two flaps rest independently on the back of the thigh below the posterior and above the thigh armor.

• There are seams on the inside and outside of the thighs.

• The right thigh (to the wearer) includes a band of black elastic that contains 3 black capsules.

• The right thigh contains a horizontal series of seamless boxes.

• The right thigh has a small knee plate attached.

• The left thigh has a larger knee plate attached with two black notches above it.

Knee Gaskets

For 501st approval:

• Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges.

• The knee gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the thigh and shin.

Shins

For 501st approval:

• The wearer's left outside shin includes two vertical thin boxes that are seamless.

• There is a small recessed rectangle at the bottom outside front of the shins .

Spats

For 501st approval:

• The spats wrap around the lower ankle.

• The spats are attached to a black material that covers the stop portion of the boots.

Boots

For 501st approval:

• TK boots are allowed

• If other boots are used:
    • The boots are above ankle height and made of white leather or leather-like material

• There is a black flat sole with no heel

• No buckles or laces

Fuel Pack

For 501st approval:

• The pack consists of a rectangular frame, two large tanks, and one smaller tank in between the larger tanks.

• The large right tank and the smaller middle tank both contain red, circular LEDs in the top and bottom domed sections.

• The middle tank's top dome is painted black.

• All three tanks are contained in a black horizontal harness.

• To the right of the middle tank is a small rectangle box that contains “OII” on its face. The top of the box has a black antenna.

• At the top of the frame is a fuel guage.

Optional Accessories

Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present appear as described below.

First Order Flamethrower

For 501st approval:

• Details to be painted black and white per reference photos.

• The flamethrower connects to the fuel pack with a black mesh hose.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting this started!

One note regarding this...

• The shoulder gaskets must cover all exposed areas under the shoulder bell, between the bicep and chest, and between bicep and back.

I believe he only has elbow gaskets and not shoulder gaskets. Several pics seem to confirm this.

20150416_140450_LLS.jpg

Ha! I've stared at this guy since I saw him in person in Anaheim, and I never noticed that. Thanks Clint. I'll adjust that.

That should really help the heat issue and the comfort level all around. How do you plan to keep the biceps in position without the shoulder gaskets?

Are you asking about the gaskets or the biceps? For the knee gaskets, I used velcro to the suit because the mobility was better as the armor can move up and down freely as you walk, but still looks accurate since the thigh armor was barely bigger than the gasket. For the biceps, you could potentially attach them to the shoulder bells I suppose using snaps or velcro.

Can they be connected via snaps / poppers to the armour?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

For either really. Just wondered how flexible these things are and if connected to the armour then it becomes part of the armour instead of part of the undersuit. So a bit like the elastics in a TK.

My gaskets are latex so it depends on what you're using probably. For my preferences, I found that the gaskets underwent a lot of strain if they connected the thighs to the knees because they had to be wide enough in circumference to fit the armor perfectly without getting folds. Letting the armor move loosely over them is easier to walk. For the elbows for my TFA TK, I have them anchored to the shoulder gasket so I can pull the whole arm on like a sleeve. Since these don't have shoulder gaskets, I'm probably going to try the same approach but obviously have to anchor them differently at the top. Maybe velcro to the undersuit or maybe snaps to the shoulder bells. The latter does sound intriguing because that will also help keep them down since they can flop around if they are only anchored to the yoke.

• Like 2

Currently all Spec Ops are TX. And you are correct, there are differences between the suits in Anaheim and Orlando. Which is more correct? Who can say? We really need to do with screen images as much as possible, but until we have more and better quality of those, we have to rely on the tour suits quite a bit. That said, I tried to take the differences into account when writing the CRL so that following either model would be acceptable. Then, as better film references become available, we can tweak the CRL over time to dial it in toward screen accuracy.

• Like 2

Reading through the CRL, I think this is wrong

Shins

For 501st approval:

• The wearer's left outside shin includes two vertical thin boxes that are seamless.
  • There is a small recessed rectangle at the bottom outside front of the shins .

I think there was some picture evidence showing that the shins are different than the TK ones and that the detail on the outside front of shins is not there.

Shins

For 501st approval:

I think there was some picture evidence showing that the shins are different than the TK ones and that the detail on the outside front of shins is not there.

17258889115_a3e00f282e_o_zpsaijo3bx9.jpg

For the vision slit, has anyone thought of making speaker mesh or something similar an option just to help improve ventilation? I know the WIP CRL says smokey gray. Keep in the dark enough to obscure the wearer's eyes, and I THINK I remember reading somewhere the ones on set had a mesh as well. I know with my Kylo speaker mesh works great, and you can't see through it unless your eyes are right there, which really only the person wearing it gets that vantage point. This has even less roomful light to get in than Kylo

Shins

For 501st approval:

You're quite right. I copied some of that from the FOTK CRL, and I misread that detail. I was thinking it was talking about the longer, vertical rectangles toward to the top of the left shin, so I'll update that.

• 4 weeks later...

I have updated the first post with the most up-to-date CRL text as it appears in this thread. As changes need to be made, I can go in and update the text.

I feel we have a solid CRL here. We will need photo references for everything before the CRL can be posted, so if possible, for anyone with completed pieces as listed in the CRL, please post your pictures of them. If you have white background pictures, that will be great. If not, I can trim what you have. We'll need fairly high res photos so it's not usually good to try and take a full length picture and chop it up. Once someone has a full one complete, even if we have the CRL text complete, a lack of photos would hold up having the CRL posted.

Just a quick note, there's another smaller cylinder / tank behind the 3 main tanks in the back pack. It has small hoses that join from there down to the overflow piece at the bottom of the tanks and in between the two main tanks. It can be seen in the visual dictionary photos if the kit. Depends whether you want to add that in to the basic Crl or not or have that as an addition.

Thanks for taking photos Clint. I think you are likely the furthest along of all of us, and your work on the FOTK has been exemplary.

By the end of next week I should have the tanks complete and flamethrower completed so should be able to post some stuff up for you to look over.

Thanks for taking photos Clint. I think you are likely the furthest along of all of us, and your work on the FOTK has been exemplary.

Thanks Todd. :) We'll see how the painting goes. Had a little mishap with crackling this morning so I'm waiting another couple days to continue to add more cure time.

I just cringed reading that. I battle crackling all of the time here in the Pacific NW. My sympathies.

• Like 1