E-11 Build

So my Sterling parts kit came in the mail yesterday, woot! :lol: Now to build it into an E-11. I plan on using resin parts for the scope, counter, etc. until I can get my hands on real ones. But first it needs to look like a Sterling. I do have a replacement tube coming for it (hopefully next week). Anyway here's a pic of my kit.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

Fivezero

:D

Awesome!

I'm looking forward to watching your build - Canada Customs is crazy strict on importing weapons / weapon like props / kids toys that look like weapons but we can get those types of pieces.

I'd love to upgrade my hasbro so watching your build may finally give me the kick in the pants to get going.

Can't wait to see the updates!

Thanks guys!

I've always wanted an E-11 so I figured I'd go all out and build the most accurate I can for my first one. I plan to use it with my Nova Medic and any other future projects I might have and just have it as a cool display piece. Anyway the most difficult part of this is going to be cleaning all the grease off they stored these things in :yucky: and getting parts like the sights off the old tube. But after that I shouldn't have much of a problem putting it back together.

Of course, I'm really excited for this too!

Fivezero

Looks like a fun project. Congrats!!! I just ordered my parts kit the other day from the same sight Crazas mentioned. Unfortunately since I live in CA I was only able to get the kit without the barrel or the magazine. Mainly because of the fantastic 10 round limit mag law we have here. :angry:

After closer examination while cleaning everything, I noticed stuff attached to the old tube had this yellow line on all the parts that met the tube.

DSCF0004-1.jpg

I started thinking that everything might have been soldered on and sure enough after some research they were. However the solder is a silver solder that needs a pretty high temperature to melt. But that seems better than trying to get off pieces that are welded on to the tube. I'll see how it goes.

Fivezero

• 3 weeks later...

So I was fortunate enough to find a scope on Ebay the other day. :woot:

DSCF0002-2-1.jpg

Haven't had much time to work on the Sterling yet, but I'll get around to getting the stuff off the old tube soon.

Fivezero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's an update for everyone.

The cap latch, one of the hand guards, bayonet lug, stock hinge and the rear sight. I also started working on the new tube as well. It still needs some of the more complex cutting done to it but all 76 of the vent holes are drilled out. :yucky: And today, I received a resin Hengstler counter for this thing.

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Update! (I know, really quick): the front sight, other hand guard, trigger frame and the magazine well have also been removed. Getting closer to the finish now.

Fivezero

• 2 months later...

Well I've been working on the tube when I'm waiting for stuff to dry. And it is all finished too! Now to start putting it all together, hopefully start on that soon (after the Darktrooper is finished).

DSCF0003-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yep (I had nothing else when I started this on a whim last night), I'm gluing everything on with E-6000 temporarily. I plan to actually solder them back together in the future (after I do some practicing). I want to take some new Nova Medic pics with an E-11, so I'm dedicating the next couple days to get this thing finished.

I'm going to clean it up at the end since there's little bits of metal everywhere from when I machined the tube and fit the parts. I'm going to have to paint it or something at the end so not a big deal to clean it (but I usually use painters too).

Just finished the bayonet lug. Took me about two hours of grinding and cutting to get it to fit. It got a little warped when it was removed.

DSCF0015-1.jpg

A couple of pieces left to mount.

Booyah, it's starting to look like a blaster! The Sterling part is done, now to make the E-11 parts.

DSCF0003-3.jpg

The scope rail is the template I made this morning. I'll get some metal strips to make the real rail tomorrow. I'll try to find something to use for t-track while I'm out. I also have a magazine coming to cut up. Then clean it up and give it some paint! :D

Got the magazine and started cutting it up. I still have to take another half an inch off the end with the feed lips (the part that's inserted into the gun). I didn't cut out the part on the tube for the magazine to be inserted (part of my deactivation method), so the magazine obviously can't be inserted like it is.

DSCF0006-4.jpg

Unfortunately, my local hardware store had absolutely nothing I needed to make a scope rail or use for t-tracks so I probably have to take a trip out to Lowe's.