My adventures with Ol' Sparky

Very cool. Love seeing the tanks come together.

It's definitely been a challenge. It's still a bit of a jigsaw puzzle, as some pieces can't be put together until everything is painted, and then I have to put it all together in the right order.

Good news is that the paint is binding to everything quite well. Bad news is, I have to wait until pay day to get more paint. I think I've spent as much money on paint for this whole costume as I have for some of the major parts.

My GML, who is a master builder, put me on to some 2 part automotive clear coat. Seems like that stuff will be perfect for the helmet, tank pack, and blaster. Not so much for the armor, because the armor needs to maintain its flex, which will cause the stuff to crack. No biggy, the armor seams to be easy for me to get painted and sanded properly to get a nice shine when I use the Krylon fusion clear coat.

Almost there. Almost there. I should be done and ready for approval by the end of October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting here watching glue and abs cement dry and cure. I'm so close to getting the armor done with assembly and get it painted.

I just realized last week that, despite triple and quadruple checking references, I had put the closed seam and opened seam on the forearms on the wrong sides. Had to tear them both apart to fix them.

I smashed my thumb today with the hammer when making a snap, too. So far I've cut myself, burned myself, stabbed myself with a tool, almost lost an eye from a flying piece from the dremel, and smashed a finger. This build has been very hazardous to my health.

Internal straps to help counter the weight of the back breaker...err, I mean tank pack:

cda2780eed5b167ab34f3958570bca9e.jpg

40d2858a529d563bc5ee625fc22cffa8.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Taped off the sides of the dome before painting the edges. The paint decided it liked the tape more than the dome. Only a minor setback. Unfortunately, I'll have to paint all the edges very carefully, without taping anything off. I don't have steady enough hands, so this will not have perfectly crisp edges. Oh well, sometimes we just need to know the limits of our skills and keep on moving.

4cbb53e8847dce29a28a68a7a3cdb1cd.jpgf530c8eabc870da23a57da202bd4e3e7.jpg

I know the top of the frame should be a little higher. Unfortunately, due to some miscalculations, this is where it sits. When the tank tops and cross bar w/gauge are attached, they will sit higher, and I think everything will look fine. I hope so, because I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with how this is.

On another note. At one point I though I made the frame too short, so I extended it. Turns out, I should have left it alone, because the very length that I extended, is about as much as I need to remove, because it's too long. Should be an easy fix, just gonna add a few extra days before getting to the finish line.

02f20a38e1b82d34a3bb822f439c3180.jpg8c374a55c6c2b89d88197fe307ed8fe6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Photos submitted to my GML for approval.

Despite looking over them several time before submitting them, it wasn't until after submitting them that Iï¸ did notice a few suit up issues. Iï¸ don't think they will be a problem with approval, though.

38226687111_0247490511_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/GikZH4

38226674811_b1c467725e_b.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/21c8mTb

38171216636_ff77fe56ce_b.jpg

A question came up during the review process of my costume. I was asked about the cod piece. The confusion has been sorted out, so it is not a problem for my approval now. BUT, I think it may be worth bringing up.

The image for the cod piece in the cod piece section of the CRL is not the same cod piece that we actually use. Fortunately, the section above that covers the abdomen section has the actual cod piece included with the photo.

850c1da23b915471677174d5ca9ac6a7.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...