KSUnole's DT Build Thread

I've spoken with a lot of you through FB and on some of the FB groups, but I figured it was actually time to start a build thread. Between grad school and work, getting time to post progress has been a struggle. I've obtained the hard parts and am pushing to make the premier minus the blaster and CRL approved undersuit (will be wearing the TK for it). I'm 6'5 and fit the build of the DT, so I'm excited to have something that appears as it does in the movie.

Armor: 850 Armor Works

Helmet: KB Props

Boots: Dr. Marten Talib

Gloves: As of right now, Nomex

Blaster: will be 3D printed via a purchased model, just won't have the time to complete before the premier.

Up to this point, I've painted the helmet and am working on the electronics. All of the armor has been sanded and prepped for assembly. 3D printed pieces have been painted. Forearms are done, one thigh is done, fronts of shins are done. Back and chest are connected. Needless to say, I have a long way to go and a short time to get there, but I'll make it.

I'll post some progress pictures and what everything looks like in the next day or two.

-Dustin

Thanks Tony and Mark. I've only built the TK (by myself with the help of your threads Tony) so I'm a novice builder. I'll be honest, I've had a ton of issues right up front with the the lens in the bucket and it is all self inflicted.

I proceeded to snap the lens that came with the lid from KB in half. The ridge that you glue the lens to in the helmet is very small and I've struggled with how to do it. It was totally different and easier in the TK helmet. The lens edge isn't 100% perfectly square on the inside and I'm afraid to sand it down, so I'm attempting to make the lens fit the shape.

I bought a welding shield and have cut it to fit the one I broke. My plan is to heat it up in boiling water to shape it, then I think I may attempt hot glue first to get it in place (since crazy glue seems to eat through color). Should I hot glue the entire thing or just get it all in place and use e6000 or will it have the same effect that crazy glue does on the color?

Thanks for the Kudos Dustin, glad to be of assistance.

As for the lens attachment I added black industrial velcro to the outer most edges of the helmet eye socket and on the lens. Seems to be holding on pretty well.

Here's a photo, not very clear you may have to blow it up to get a better view of the lens attachment.

20161205_210915.jpg

Thanks Tony and Mark. I've only built the TK (by myself with the help of your threads Tony) so I'm a novice builder. I'll be honest, I've had a ton of issues right up front with the the lens in the bucket and it is all self inflicted.

I proceeded to snap the lens that came with the lid from KB in half. The ridge that you glue the lens to in the helmet is very small and I've struggled with how to do it. It was totally different and easier in the TK helmet. The lens edge isn't 100% perfectly square on the inside and I'm afraid to sand it down, so I'm attempting to make the lens fit the shape.

I bought a welding shield and have cut it to fit the one I broke. My plan is to heat it up in boiling water to shape it, then I think I may attempt hot glue first to get it in place (since crazy glue seems to eat through color). Should I hot glue the entire thing or just get it all in place and use e6000 or will it have the same effect that crazy glue does on the color?

For my scout lid I used a hot glue gun to stick the lens in place. Seemed to work fine and I never saw any adverse effects on the colour. :)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Kudos Dustin, glad to be of assistance.

As for the lens attachment I added black industrial velcro to the outer most edges of the helmet eye socket and on the lens. Seems to be holding on pretty well.

Here's a photo, not very clear you may have to blow it up to get a better view of the lens attachment.

20161205_210915.jpg

Tony may I ask what model # of 3M liner you have in your lid? It looks really comfortable and I'm looking to get one for the Shadow Scout lid I'm building. Thanks for any help.

So here it is with no under suit, still missing some things and a laundry list of tweaking to do. I loved every minute of it though. Suit and helmet fit fine and were very comfortable. I'll post more build pictures soon.

95fa727acbb102c45233033eebd799b6.jpg

3bcb9929ea1b9da38bc9525e1fcad628.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Looking really amazing! The CRL has been submitted to the LMO and we're just awaiting feedback and approval. With Legion elections kicking off it may have a slight delzy but is totslly on track. You've done a smashing job on your DT! :thumbsup:

Interesting. I don't know if going with a full armor by KB Props (in developing) or going with 850 Armor. Why did you decide to get helmet from KB and the armor from 850?

I was trying to get it wearable for the premier. I was on the first run of both, but the helmet was available a month or so prior to the armor.

So just a matter of time. What do you think about accuracy of 850 armor and the plastics, maybe in comparison with an original trilogy tk armor?

It's still to be determined on if it will pass the CRL. Kevin may be able to chime in, but I believe he had issues with the Shoretrooper and not showing enough definition with the thicker, more durable ABS as well as it being smaller. He created a new version to meet the standards and passes approval. If the first version DT doesn't pass I'll have to get the new version I guess.

I'm 6'6" so the added length in the shins is awesome compared to my AM 2.0 for the TK (which is still decent).

Disregarding CRL guidelines, the material and pull itself were comparable to my TK and he's been very helpful throughout the build process.

• Like 1

So just a matter of time. What do you think about accuracy of 850 armor and the plastics, maybe in comparison with an original trilogy tk armor?

4 months later mine is still sitting in the box. After the ST fiasco i'm waiting to see other's builds and compare. Fingers crosed

I'm 6'6" so the added length in the shins is awesome compared to my AM 2.0 for the TK (which is still decent).

Wow! I'm 6'2 and I went with NE, I can understand.... So your version is not the version with forearm and shins longer, right?

4 months later mine is still sitting in the box. After the ST fiasco i'm waiting to see other's builds and compare. Fingers crosed

Mmmm........also me, as Centurion I'd like to have something accurate, and possibly in black ABS (the armor, not the helmet)....for these reasons I waiting for KB Props, in order to see the result.