Shadow Stormtrooper (Force Unleashed) CRL Proposal

Latest CRL proposal for Shadow Stormtrooper (Force Unleashed) is below. Completely rewritten to align with our latest Shadow Stormtrooper CRL revision, adding details as necessary for this trooper.

------------------------------------------

This will be the main listing and we'll tackle each part piece by piece (green is done, yellow is WIP, and red is not finalized):

• Helmet
  • Neck Seal
  • Under Suit
  • Shoulder Straps
  • Shoulder Armor
  • Biceps
  • Forearms
  • Hand Plates
  • Gloves
  • Chest Armor
  • Back Armor
  • Abdomen Armor
  • Kidney Armor
  • Posterior Armor
  • Belt
  • Thermal Detonator
  • Thigh Armor
  • Lower Leg Armor
  • Boots

----------FINALIZED TEXT GOES BELOW THIS LINE------------

Description: Shadow Stormtrooper: The Force Unleashed
Prefix: TX
Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment
Context: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Shadow Stormtroopers are elite troopers equipped with experimental cloaking armor. Their distinctive armor silver and gray armor allows them to disappear into almost any environment to accomplish their mission.

Special Notes:

• Armor color is a combination of metallic silver, semi-gloss medium gray and gloss black.
  • Armor is made from one of these (or similar) types of materials:
    • Fiberglass
    • ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
    • HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene).
  • Armor lighting is blue in color.
  • Blasters are not required for legion membership per our weapons policy.

Helmet

• Helmet is metallic silver.

• Lenses must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes. They are either flat or bubbled.

• Light shines onto the lens, coming from the top of the lens.

• The “ear” bars have three or four bumps and are gray. The rearmost bump is black.

• The frown must have 8 teeth cut out.

• Light shines through the teeth cut outs.

• The tube stripes may number between 9 and 16 per side with the curve bends extending backwards.

• Light shines through the tube stripes.

• Vocoder (vertically ribbed chin detail) is black.

• The aerators (cylinders on either side of the vocoder) are black, and screening is silver.

• The interior of the aerator can either be white, silver or black.

• Traps (trapezoids on dome of helmet) and tears (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) can be hand painted or decals.

• Acceptable color is dark gray. Rear traps and tears have vertical black lines.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Ears shall have three screws per side, one above and one below the ear bar and one at the base of the helmet. Screws are slotted, flat topped, countersunk and painted metallic silver.

• Ear bars have four bumps only, not three.

• Correct 'Hovi mic' aerator tips.

• The screen in the aerator tips shall be painted silver and the interior of the aerator tip shall be painted white or black.

• Screens used shall be of a wide type mesh.

• Traps/tears shall be hand painted or decals in black or gray and shall have the correct details similar to the ANH TK.

• Neck trim shall be an S-type profile rather than a U-type profile.

• Neck trim is black.

Neck Seal

• Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck.

Under Suit

• Black non-textured material, either one-piece or two-piece construction with no visible zippers or logos.

Shoulder Straps

• Shoulder straps are metallic silver.

• These shall be securely mounted in front and may free float in the back. They can be affixed with rivets, Velcro or adhesive.

• The rear tab of the strap is optional and may or may not be present.

• No visible rivets are allowed to secure the straps in the front.

• These shall be glued in front.

• The rear tab of the strap shall be removed same as the TKs seen in ANH movie.

Shoulder Armor

• Shoulder armor is gloss black, painted to match reference photos.

• One on each shoulder.

• The shoulder bells are considered effectively symmetrical. They can be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.

• Light shines through the left, right and bottom edges of the shoulder armor.

• Shoulders have a black elastic strap that wraps around the inside of the bicep.

• There should be a large gap between the shoulder armor and chest/back plate.

Biceps

• Biceps are metallic silver.

• Biceps are fully closed.

• Overlap construction is only allowed for kits that come with the cover strip molded into the part.

• Must be constructed using the butt plate joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

• There shall be a return edge that is present with a maximum width of 3/8" (10mm) width.

Forearms

• Forearms are metallic silver.

• Forearms are fully sealed and closed.

• Light shines through the top and bottom edges and through the square depressions along the top ridge of the forearms.

• Overlap construction is only allowed for kits that come with the cover strip molded into the part.

• Must be constructed using the butt plate joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

• There shall be no return edges present on the inside of the front of the forearms.

Hand Plates

• Hand plates are metallic silver.

• Pentagonal in shape, hand plates should be securely mounted over the back of the glove. These can be made up of plastic, latex or latex-like material.

• Handguards shall be latex or latex-like, painted metallic silver and affixed with adhesive to rubber gloves with no visible strapping or stitching.

Gloves

• Black in color, made of either rubber, nomex, leather, or leather-like material, with no visible straps or logos/ designs. The fingers are enclosed, non-textured.

• Gloves shall be rubber or rubber-like chemical gloves, in black.

Chest Armor

• The upper portion of the chest armor is semi-gloss medium gray and the lower portion is metallic silver.

• Chest armor overlaps abdomen armor.

• Light shines from the chest armor onto the abdomen armor.

• A flexible U-shaped gasket or molded lip is present around all edges.

• Gasket is metallic silver.

• Chest and back shall be connected with a black fabric (preferably elastic) that does not stick out or show under the shoulder plastic straps.

Back Armor

• Back armor is metallic silver.

• Back armor contains a “O II” design with little or no overlap of the kidney plate.

• A flexible U-shaped gasket or molded lip is present around all edges.

• Gasket is metallic silver.

Abdomen Armor

• Abdomen armor is semi-gloss medium gray.

• The abdomen armor has a button area with 9 gloss black buttons. Correct sized buttons are approximately 7/16” (11mm) in diameter.

• Abdomen armor button area detail matches reference photos.

• A flexible U-shaped gasket or molded lip is present around the sides and top of the abdomen armor. The gasket does not extend around the cod armor.

• Gasket is semi-gloss medium gray.

• There should be no gap between the ab and kidney plate, a single visible seam line is ideal. Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor shall be no more than 1/2” (12.5mm). Any shims used to achieve this effect shall have a similar material and color as the abdomen armor. Shims should be flush and seams are allowed.

• Four rivets are present on both sides of the ab plate: two on each side, the heads should be rounded or domed, solid, approximately 5/16" (8mm) diameter and equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 20mm from the edge. They must be painted semi-gloss medium gray. Paperclip brads are not considered to have a domed head. Note: For the original TK armor the type of rivets used were bifurcated rivets or split rivets.

Kidney Armor

• Kidney armor is metallic silver

• The kidney/posterior armor may be either one piece (ROTJ style) or two pieces (ANH style).

• If a separate kidney plate is used, it lines up with the abdomen armor.

• The top of the kidney armor is flush to or under the back armor.

• Four rivets shall be present on the both sides of the kidney plate (two on each side), the heads should be rounded or domed, solid, approximately 5/16"(8mm) in diameter and approximately 3/4” (19mm) from the edge. They are spaced top to bottom to match reference photos. They must be painted black. Paperclip brads are not considered to have a domed head. Note: For the original TK armor the type of rivets used were bifurcated rivets or split rivets

Posterior Armor

• Posterior armor is semi-gloss medium gray.

• The kidney/posterior armor may be either one piece (ROTJ style) or two pieces (ANH style).

Belt

• The ammo belt is metallic silver and shall be made of similar material matching the overall armor. It is comprised of 6 rectangular boxes, with two square buttons on each end of the belt.

• The soft belt proper is made of fabric, or material with a fabric covering and must be 2” to 3.5” (50-90mm) wide.

• Fabric is metallic silver.

• The drop boxes dangle from the sides of the plastic belt face via gray straps and are aligned under the plastic tabs of the ammo belt.

• Drop boxes are semi-gloss medium gray.

• The belt closes by overlapping in the rear center of the kidney/posterior armor where the thermal detonator is attached.

• Belt has lights to shine onto the posterior armor.

• The top corners of the plastic ammo belt shall be trimmed at a 45 degree angle that meets the outer edge of the fabric belt. The bottom corners of the ammo belt are trimmed with a broad curved cut.

• The top of the ammo belt should sit at or just above the bottom of the central and vertical abdomen button panels.

• Belt proper is thinner than standard TK-style belts, being 2” (50mm) wide with the top aligned at the bottom of the 45 degree cut.

• Drop boxes must be attached using gray straps and must have full inner drop boxes to close the back. Flat covers are not allowed.

• Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the end of the ammo belt with a 1/2” (13mm) gap between belt and box.

• Eight rivets shall be present on the belt proper (arranged in pairs on each side of the ammo belt), the heads should be rounded or domed, solid, approximately 5/16" (8mm) diameter. Rivets are spaced out to match reference photos. They must be painted black. Paperclip brads are not considered to have a domed head. Note: For the original TK armor the type of rivets used were bifurcated rivets or split rivets.

Thermal Detonator

• (A.K.A O2 canister) is attached to the center back of the belt.

• Detonator consists of a cylinder with 2” to 2.68” (50-68mm) in diameter with metallic silver end caps on each end and a metallic control panel pad. The metallic silver control panel pad faces upwards, with the controls/round washer-style detail closest to the right end cap.

• Line shines through the cylindrical body of the detonator.

• The total length is approximately 7.5” (190.5mm).

• Thermal detonator will attach to belt with a mounting block in place of clips. This block can be secured with a discrete method (rivets, Velcro, bolts, or similar method) to the belt.

• Mounting block is metallic silver.

Thigh Armor

• The thigh armor is semi-gloss medium gray.

• The thigh armor may open and firmly close in the back allowing the two halves to appear sealed.

• The small ammo belt is installed on the bottom of the right thigh.

• Ammo belt is metallic silver.

• Light shines onto the thigh armor from behind the ammo belt.

• Overlap construction is only allowable for kits that come with the cover strip molded into the part.

• Cover strips must end at the top of lower ridge in front and back.

• If the two parts of the thigh armor cannot fit the user, cover strip should not be too wide. Instead, shims can be used to close the back of the thigh armor. Shims shall have a similar material and color to the whole armor, should be flush without seams.

• The thigh ammo belt is attached to the thigh armor with no visible fasteners. The ends of ammo belt must sit above the bottom ridge of the thigh armor, with the bottom of the front ammo belt face flush with the bottom of the thigh armor

• The thigh ammo belt must be trimmed with a short end and a long end, with all edges being square.

• The shorter end of the ammo belt is attached to the outside of the thigh armor and the longer end attached to the inside of the thigh armor.

• Must be constructed using the butt joint cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Lower Leg Armor

• Shin armor is metallic silver

• The shin armor is able to open and firmly close in the back allowing the two halves to appear sealed.

• The trapezoid knee plate is affixed to the top of the left shin.

• Knee plate is metallic silver on the sides, with the central hexagon being semi-gloss medium gray.

• The bottom 3/8” (10mm) of the shin armor must have light shining through the armor.

• Overlap construction is only allowable for kits that come with the cover strip molded into the part.

• Sniper knee plate must be aligned with the ridges on the shin.

• The sniper knee plate must not have visible rivets or fasteners attaching it to the shin.

• Shins are constructed using the butt joint cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Boots

• Boots are above ankle height and made of dark gray leather or leather-like material.

• A red stripe, approximately 5/8” (15mm) runs along the inside, across the front and along the outside of the boot, matching reference photos.

• Small U-shaped elastic sections on both sides of the ankle.

• Flat sole with a short heel.

• No buckles or laces.

• Jodhpur/Chelsea-type boots or an equivalent style is acceptable.

• Elvis or Mariachi boots are not allowed.

• There is no seam present on the front of the boot.

Thanks guys!! I finished up the images tonight. I resized them a bit for the forum, but I have the originals if you guys need them. I still have to get the full armor pics finished up, I'll get those done tomorrow. Otherwise here it is! :D

• Like 1

I feel like every pic of this thing should be in the dark, lol. Do you have one full suited in the dark? I would actually include it next to the lit full-suited pic in the CRL. Might provide some nice contrast for people. Feel free to email me the pics and I can start working on the editing. Everything looks good, text-wise. It's fairly standard plus the lighting/color.

Yes sir! I sent along a couple with me in the dark when I submitted it to the LMO. :thumbsup: If you want I can retake the individual armor photos in the dark to go along with the current photos, no problem at all!

ygkky0V.jpg

Good to hear, yeah it really helps emphasize the lighting on this trooper (one of the things I want to work on in the future is improving the lighting). ANYWAYS, I'll get the pictures all edited this weekend. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I really think the Starkiller lightsaber should be included in this CRL as an optional accessory. I thought it was a little unfair and disappointing to see that the two other TFU troopers, the Commander and Incinerator, get to carry and apply with the saber (all the way up to Level 3 Centurion) and the Shadow can't. All three armors can be worn as costumes by the main character, and are seen with sabers.

I hope to be able to give my local saber smith my business sometime in the near future. I was planning on picking up a blue-bladed one going into the build of this costume and I was a little heartbroken to see it wasn't in the CRL.

The hilt itself doesn't change, but the blade can set to any color once unlocked. When not in combat, the saber is clipped to the belt. I believe I have a picture on my build thread, but I'll throw it up right here after work.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for digging it out! Let me know what you think about the pictures and if you want to use them. I propose we post it up as interim photos, just to get the CRL greenlit, but if we want to wait for new photos that's fine.  I plan on getting back to the rebuild of this trooper once my 3D printer is running again, and then taking entirely new photos (especially the main shot).

I see there was some discussion revolving the lightsaber a while ago.... My thoughts are to leave it out (I firmly believe FISD shouldn't have included it with their troopers). Simply put, the troopers in the game never use a lightsaber against you. They always have a blaster or their signature weapon (FA-3 Flechette for EVO Trooper, Rail Detonator for Jumptrooper, etc.). The only time we see the troopers with the lightsaber is when you select them as a skin for Starkiller (which requires a cheat code, unlike the regular costumes in game), it's just an easy way to get good pictures of the armor. The LMO at the time even questioned the validity of my screenshots, due to the saber and requested additional photos to prove it wasn't just a custom skin that was added to the game.

• Like 2

@Fivezero I would tend to agree with you.  The saber is only used as a skin for Starkiller.  Why that was approved in previous costumes isn't for me to say, BUT typically heroes in "villain" gear don't get approved i.e. FO Finn, TK Luke, TK Han.  You are correct, the standard troopers in the game do not use the saber...only Starkiller as a reskin.

The CRL team is spread a tad thin  at the moment but let's call @NINJAM0VE and @Janem in here to give it a look and get some feedback going.

• Like 1

I agree with both of you. As far as I know, when I played this game, no troopers used sabers. Heard about the cheat code but haven't tried it. For me its just weird to have troopers use sabers as weapons. Though FISD has included it in their two crls, I think we should just stick to blasters. That's my take on this. But definitely an awesome build @Fivezero. I'm excited for this!  

• Like 2
On 3/3/2019 at 8:59 PM, NINJAM0VE said:

I agree with both of you. As far as I know, when I played this game, no troopers used sabers. Heard about the cheat code but haven't tried it. For me its just weird to have troopers use sabers as weapons. Though FISD has included it in their two crls, I think we should just stick to blasters. That's my take on this. But definitely an awesome build @Fivezero. I'm excited for this!  

Would you be able to do read through of the CRL proposal compared to the ref pics as well and make sure the text matches the refs or if anything needs adding/editing?  Would like to get a few of us to spot-check it.  Reference photos here: https://forum.specops501st.com/index.php?/topic/5460-shadow-stormtroopers-force-unleashed-reference-photos/

Thanks!

I plan to review the text myself tonight and make any changes if need be, but always good to have someone double checking stuff. Been meaning to look it over the last couple days, but the 3D printer has been fighting me tooth and nail (thankfully it's running now and can get back to other things).

Also it looks like my reference photos never got posted either, I'll get those posted up tonight as well! :D

• Like 2