Nick's DT WIP

So I'm finally starting a WIP thread! Working on DT kit but am awaiting for armor to arrive. Right now I have:

Helmet by Wicked Armor. Great proportion but smaller in size, which is fine for me. Needs additional vents holes though as the kit only comes with 6 on each side. I've already addressed this though.

Belt from Forrest Elge

Boots not from DR Martin, but affordable alternative from David Robert.

Gloves from Harbor freight.

Weapons being printed by Roman Bela.

Armor and under suit from Jim Tripon.

Will update as progress moves forward!

0f9a2e738bf612b43877e3b0a22ea482.jpg80013daedcd2301fc65a05c9b7e28f49.jpgf05519a8f5f4eb790682b075aca3ce89.jpg556337e3184b65b1565c27d233c0899c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Boots look like a nice alternative. All the right seams in the right places. Only thing I am not too hot on is the sole texture.

I was thinking that as well but I'm only going to basic approval and for the price I paid, $20, it was too hard to turn down!

• 2 weeks later...

On the boots, how do they look when your feet are in them. I've seen a few troopers line up the spats without their foot in and once they do put their foot in they get way too much wrinkling. There will always be some wrinkling, but aligning them when your foot is in them helps limit it. :)

On the boots, how do they look when your feet are in them. I've seen a few troopers line up the spats without their foot in and once they do put their foot in they get way too much wrinkling. There will always be some wrinkling, but aligning them when your foot is in them helps limit it. :)

Boots on:

adfcbcb2844546c6154a9010842a7ee6.jpge9ff016ccc8580ab51754e8b5e699d46.jpg

• Like 1

Great start Nick, looking good :)

The only thing I would comment on is your boots as the side of the sole doesn't have the ribs.

I know you said you picked these up cheap but are you going to try and get some Doc's?

Spats looks great by the way.

Cheers Tom

No plan on getting Docs yet. From a post on FB I saw from Mark I got the impression that these would work for basic approval. There's no other lesser cost alternative that I could find outside of the Docs with that exact sole and I believe they should be open to close alternative options.

The ribs are a part of the CRL and the sole has the added issue of the front being different from the sides. Another cheaper option would be to take them to a cobbler and show them the look you need. They should be able to replace the soles, just a matter of they can recreate the look.

The ribs are a part of the CRL and the sole has the added issue of the front being different from the sides. Another cheaper option would be to take them to a cobbler and show them the look you need. They should be able to replace the soles, just a matter of they can recreate the look.

I appreciate the cobbler idea, but I'm not a fan of the CRL being so nitpicky of the sole. It's puts me off actually. I don't feel that's appropriate nor is it what is best for everyone and that it's gunna push people away. No ones going to be staring at my shoes enough to notice and I'm sure other people feel the same. So we'll see what happens I guess!

I appreciate the cobbler idea, but I'm not a fan of the CRL being so nitpicky of the sole. It's puts me off actually. I don't feel that's appropriate nor is it what is best for everyone and that it's gunna push people away. No ones going to be staring at my shoes enough to notice and I'm sure other people feel the same. So we'll see what happens I guess!

Feliz, I am offering a solution if you want your boots to match the source material. For basic approval, what you have will pass, but these details can be very important to many people. The 501st is all about bringing what is on screen (or other material) to life. To many people, that means being as accurate is possible. To others, those details are not as important and that is okay as long as the minimum requirements are met. If we simply focused on what made it easiest to do, the quality of what we present would suffer. I don't think anyone wants that.

Feliz, I am offering a solution if you want your boots to match the source material. For basic approval, what you have will pass, but these details can be very important to many people. The 501st is all about bringing what is on screen (or other material) to life. To many people, that means being as accurate is possible. To others, those details are not as important and that is okay as long as the minimum requirements are met. If we simply focused on what made it easiest to do, the quality of what we present would suffer. I don't think anyone wants that.

Truly appreciate your reply sir! Please know that my opinions are in no way directed toward anyone but it's hard not to feel that way when wording in the CRL states that. I love the idea that the CRL should state the exact details as to what is in the costume for those who want to get it perfect but it should also state allowances for basic approval for those of us who such fine details are not as important to. I do feel my kit will turn out great though and fit most of the requirements.

Of course, these are just my opinions. I really do appreciate all everyone is doing for the CRL and community. And please call me Nick :)

• Like 1

It's a very fine balance. The CRL's are intended to be visual guides and that visual part is very important. There is an aspect to them that truly is 'make it look like the picture' and the text should just support and clarify details. Your feedback is welcome and brand new costumes like this will see minor revisions in the CRL for some time as new information is found. The Blurays are out later this month and that is going to open up access to high def screens of every shot in the movie :).

• Like 1
How did you attach your shoulder bells!?

I did it old school and attached them using web strapping and snaps🙂

I still have to put a strap in the gap of the biceps though.

351b1427db68f1bf1e2d1019ffff4c96.jpg

1b99daa40c0d7412e9a2b9cc977d6779.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...